Sign in to follow this  
UnrealUndead

Hostage mode

I would really like to see a hostage system. Actually it would be pretty simple. A player is able to drop his weapon and take his hands behind his neck with one click. When he did that the other player will get a massive humanity loss if he kills the player who surrendered. But if the guy who surrendered wants to take his hands down, to grap a weapon or something, it takes him like 2-3 seconds to do that. A animation should indicate this process so the hostage taker can react. When he kills him while the animation is going he won't get the massive humanity loss.

While in hostage mode:

-Other player can take everything from the hostage (even weapons)

-The hostage can be knocked down by other players, the hostage will be unconscious for 15-20 seconds -> if he gets up he will be still in the hostage mode and it will take 5-10 seconds before a player can knock him down again, if a player kills him while unconscious he will get a massive humanity loss

-The hostage is not able to loot, eat, drink or anything else

Optional ideas:

-Other players can grap the hostage from behind and use him as a human shield, while taking a hostage as a human shield the player is walking slowly -> the hostage is able to get out of the grip any time, if he does that he will get out of the hostage mode, the hostage taker will get a animation for 1-2 seconds so the hostage has a slightly chance to get in cover, this should be really risky so the hostage would think twice about doing this

-If entering a car in hostage mode, the hostage is not able to take anything out of the car

-Players are able to attach a blindfold to the hostage, he wont be able to see anything. If he wants to take the blindfolds off he first has to get out of the hostage mode and then take the blindfold off, that should take another 1-2 seconds -> blindfolds should be really rare to find

-While a hostage is wearing a blindfold other players are able to grap and guide the hostage -> the hostage should be able to get out of the grap anytime, which will get the hostage taker in a animation (1-2 seconds) but the hostage is still in hostage mode

I think a hostage mode like that would really improve the psychological part in the game.

Hostage mode may take too much work and they already have a surrender key, instead they should add a check inventory option, that only works while in surrender mode, or with the other players consent.

That way hostage situations aren't scripted, but rather acted out b the players themselves. "Let me check your inventory or i'll shoot you." Sounds better than "Drop the loot or i'll shoot you." You might miss those nvgs or a can of beans.

I do like the blindfold things.

I really want something like this. Like, handcuffs or ropes or something.

I want to knock someone out and tie them to a chair or something.

That'd be cool.

I don't think it would be much work, maybe the optional features I listed, but a normal hostage animation, well would be as hard as any other animation.

And I am not sure what you meant with your suggestion. When you go to a player you should be able to loot everything he has?

Edited by TrueRealityAD

What is the purpose of taking a hostage? To steal their loot? So why not just kill them? What reason is there to not kill the hostage and take all their stuff anyway?

Why would the hostage taker NOT lose huge humanity for killing the hostage if the hostage attempts to get away? What hostage would not want to escape?

What benefit does the hostage have with any of this? He lives, now stripped of all his items, possibly worse off than if he just dies and spawns fresh? At least when you die and respawn you have starting gear.

• Like 1

Hostage mode may take too much work and they already have a surrender key.

Yes except people rather act all "badass" and shoot back.

Also i see this as a major trolling tool.

Yes except people rather act all "badass" and shoot back.

Also i see this as a major trolling tool.

I dislike that "trolling" argument people have a lot.

I mean, kidnappers in real life are total trolls. I think there should be a way to get out of ropes, yeah, but I mean, trolling would be hacking the server. That's about it.

What could we do to make people want to stay alive though? That's the problem.

Hmm...

Actually good that you ask.

@chisel

What is the purpose of taking a hostage? To steal their loot? So why not just kill them? What reason is there to not kill the hostage and take all their stuff anyway?

The simple answere to this is not to get a bandit. Like you probably know in the SA the humanity system will be overworked, so maybe it will get pretty important then.

Why would the hostage taker NOT lose huge humanity for killing the hostage if the hostage attempts to get away? What hostage would not want to escape?

Pretty easy to avoid that:

-the hostage is only able to walk

In that case the hostage taker can knock him out whenever he wants.

What benefit does the hostage have with any of this? He lives, now stripped of all his items, possibly worse off than if he just dies and spawns fresh? At least when you die and respawn you have starting gear.

Like you also probably know, in the SA there will be a whole new charakter system, so I think you wont be only worried about your gear, but also about the charakter you lose. (I don't know how Rocket wants to accomplish this, but I believe he will)

And no one forces you to get in the hostage mode. If you are surrounded by 5 people, you probably have no chance. If the other players are no bandits, they can let you alive, knock you out and just go on without the hostage being a threat to them.

I have to say that the numbers I gave as proposal could be also change. Maybe it would be better to knock someone out for a minute, I just wanted to deliver the idea.

Edited by TrueRealityAD

Hostage mode may take too much work and they already have a surrender key, instead they should add a check inventory option, that only works while in surrender mode, or with the other players consent.

That way hostage situations aren't scripted, but rather acted out b the players themselves. "Let me check your inventory or i'll shoot you." Sounds better than "Drop the loot or i'll shoot you." You might miss those nvgs or a can of beans.

There's already a surrender animation that takes 2ish seconds to enter/exit.

There's already a surrender animation that takes 2ish seconds to enter/exit.

So it's even less work!

It wouldn't take much work to freeze the surrender animation when your hands are in the air.

Actually good that you ask.

@chisel

The simple answere to this is not to get a bandit. Like you probably know in the SA the humanity system will be overworked, so maybe it will get pretty important then.

Pretty easy to avoid that:

-the hostage is only able to walk

In that case the hostage taker can knock him out whenever he wants.

Like you also probably know, in the SA there will be a whole new charakter system, so I think you wont be only worried about your gear, but also about the charakter you lose. (I don't know how Rocket wants to accomplish this, but I believe he will)

And no one forces you to get in the hostage mode. If you are surrounded by 5 people, you probably have no chance. If the other players are no bandits, they can let you alive, knock you out and just go on without the hostage being a threat to them.

I have to say that the numbers I gave as proposal could be also change. Maybe it would be better to knock someone out for a minute, I just wanted to deliver the idea.

I'm pretty sure taking someone hostage in the first place should come with some BAD effects. Like say loss in humanity. Also what kind of a person takes someone hostage? I'd say a bandit. Banditry is not necessarily murder only. That is a murderer.

Taking people hostage and robbing them would be the act of bandits. It seems you would want to have the ability to steal peoples things but have no repercussions or ill effects on yourself. So again, what reason is there to for not just killing someone and stealing their stuff. To not turn into a bandit? I'd say you already are a bandit. Heroes do not go around taking hostages and robbing people. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

For example: Say you took someone hostage at gunpoint. The hostage manages to get his hands on a gun. There is a fight; you kill the hostage. In your scenario this would be self defense. Where I come from you just murdered your hostage. Had the hostage managed to kill you, that would be justified homicide or self defense. The hostage taker loses all benefits of self defense the moment the take a hostage.

You cannot take hostages and NOT be a bad person I'm sorry.

I think it should be possible to search someone, in means of looking what he has on his body, while he is in surrender-mode.

this would allow robbery, searching people for specific items (cherno police is going to love that) but prevent people stealing from your body without you knowing.

it would be cool if you could knock out a player for a few mins and there screen is just black. you could throw them in your and drive it of a cliff. all without them knowing.

The problem with these "hostage taking", "slave", and "hand-cuff" suggestions... is that everybody wants to take a hostage, and nobody wants to be the hostage.

it would be cool if you could knock out a player for a few mins and there screen is just black. you could throw them in your and drive it of a cliff. all without them knowing.

Yes, it would wouldn't it? But it wouldn't be very cool if YOU got knocked out for a few mins and YOUR screen "is just black". Or YOU got thrown in a car and driven off a cliff without knowing. Seriously people, please think about party B, not just party A.

The creative bandits don't need this sort of system. Rather than delaying the SA some more, why don't we just do it the Ol' Fashioned style.

Edited by GotBeanZ

I'm pretty sure taking someone hostage in the first place should come with some BAD effects. Like say loss in humanity. Also what kind of a person takes someone hostage? I'd say a bandit. Banditry is not necessarily murder only. That is a murderer.

Taking people hostage and robbing them would be the act of bandits. It seems you would want to have the ability to steal peoples things but have no repercussions or ill effects on yourself. So again, what reason is there to for not just killing someone and stealing their stuff. To not turn into a bandit? I'd say you already are a bandit. Heroes do not go around taking hostages and robbing people. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

For example: Say you took someone hostage at gunpoint. The hostage manages to get his hands on a gun. There is a fight; you kill the hostage. In your scenario this would be self defense. Where I come from you just murdered your hostage. Had the hostage managed to kill you, that would be justified homicide or self defense. The hostage taker loses all benefits of self defense the moment the take a hostage.

You cannot take hostages and NOT be a bad person I'm sorry.

You don't understand the point of this. In DayZ nowadays it's the main problem that the players don't trust each other. Well, this is not the real problem, the problem is that there is no way you can unarm a player in a way you are secured. You can through your weapon on the ground, but to do this you have first to get in your backpack, and then through the weapon away. This takes atleast 2 seconds.

In that time you are already dead, because the other person (in 90% of the cases) won't take the chances and will shot on sight. But if you have a option to surrender you are able to survive the situation. Well you can decide, lose all your gear and die or try to surrender and (that's important now) give the other person the chance to let you alive. In the current state, you shot on sight even if you are no bandit. A bandit will shot on sight anyway, it doesn't matters if you surrender or not. But this surrender option is for the good guys, who want you to survive. The option to take everythink out of your inventory is just for savety. The other player is able to be sure if you have a weapon or not. If he is a bandit, he will kill you anyway. But you decided to try surrendering, well then you have to life with the consequences, the same as the bandit. It is just like in real life, he could robb you, but he could be also a new companion of yours.

Let's take a real life example. Lets say we are in a zombie apocalipse. You are alone searching for goods. Suddenly a group of 5 armend man appears infront of you. They have indeed better gear than you. You know exactly they don't need you m9 which you are holding right in your hand. You also know that you stand no chance against these people. What do you do? You shout: "Friendly!!"? No, probably the first thing you do is raise your arms to show the other man that you are not hostile. Being dead or alive depends on fractions of seconds, the armend group will shot you right there if you won't put your gun down immediatly. Well, like we all know in DayZ this option is not avaible. Your only option is to hope these guys will not shot you if you shout "Friendly!" in your microphone. Probably they will shoot you anyway because they won't take the risk.

And exactly that is what I am taking about. Maybe the topic should be called "Surrender option". Give the other players the chance to let you alive, because in the mod it is really difficult and rare.

The problem with these "hostage taking" suggestions, or "slave" suggestions, or even the "hand-cuff" suggestions... is that everybody wants to take a hostage, and nobody wants to be the hostage.

Yes, it would wouldn't it? But it wouldn't be very cool if YOU got knocked out for a few mins and YOUR screen "is just black". Or YOU got thrown in a car and driven off a cliff without knowing. Seriously people, please think about party B, not just party A.

Personally I think that we already can take hostages. The creative bandits don't need this sort of system. Rather than delaying the SA some more, why don't we just do it Ol' Fashioned style.

In my point of view Dayz is just about the expirience you make. It's not about the weapons, the gear or whatever. It is what you do, and what happens. The dynamic world, filled with players is so cool and it really depends on the player what happens. Seriously, it would be f***ing awesome to be held as hostage, and then try to kill all these bandits from behind of something. Or maybe just play with the so you can tell your friends where they are etc.

It would be just a new feature of the game, which could create new opportunities for dynamic player behavior.

Edited by TrueRealityAD

Or if one of your mates is being annoying just handcuff him