Sign in to follow this  
Logan Winchester

Scavenge items

Hello guys and survivor's, well, recently i've been thinking about items, and i think that the items don't have to respawn in a construction, if are without a item, but, why? This will give to player a motive to cross around of Chernarus to find items, not only walk around the city and going to houses and markets to found cans and cans of food... The items only will respawn if the server close or restart, if it don't happen, the items that are spawned on the map will not change... And it will remove the "camper's" that only want to kill everyone without a cause... Well, it's just a suggestion, if you don't like, tell why, because is very easy found some food and water if you collect everything in a market and go 15m foward and back and get more items, don't have logic items spawn on the ground... And players will have motive to kill others, to find food to your stock of food...

Google Translate sucks Im guessing.

The gist I got out of that was 'make items not respawn until a server restart'. Basically whatever's there when the server start is all you get. He mentioned something about loot being on the ground but that's being 'fixed' in Standalone, you'll find loot on shelves and tables rather than just 'neat' little piles on the ground. I'm a little against this idea (loot not respawning till restart) but see it's merits. If anything I'd say have it as a server side option (Hardcore mode maybe?)

Hello guys and survivor's, well, recently i've been thinking about items, and i think that the items don't have to respawn in a construction, if are without a item, but, why? This will give to player a motive to cross around of Chernarus to find items, not only walk around the city and going to houses and markets to found cans and cans of food... The items only will respawn if the server close or restart, if it don't happen, the items that are spawned on the map will not change... And it will remove the "camper's" that only want to kill everyone without a cause... Well, it's just a suggestion, if you don't like, tell why, because is very easy found some food and water if you collect everything in a market and go 15m foward and back and get more items, don't have logic items spawn on the ground... And players will have motive to kill others, to find food to your stock of food...

I understand the idea you have and why you thought of that. There will be a "spawn-on-serverstart"-mechanic in standalone. But the "no-respawn"-issue is something that could cause problems.

If implemented, the most popular servers, with the most people on them, will usually run out of loot the first. As the hive allows to switch servers, the most popular way to get what you need then, will be to switch to another server and loot that. Also, hose servers rebooting the most often, would have the most loot.

I think some sort of loot-cycle. Be it 3, 4 or 6 hours would be nice to have. Just to balance between servers that are rebooted 2,3 and 4 times a day (or more often).

Those are all things that a developer has to take into consideration when implementing a feature like that.

I personally, would solve Spawning by Servertime. every 3 or 4 hours. So it doesn't matter if you rebooted 10min ago or 10 hours. Loot spawns, when it's supposed to spawn and it makes no difference considering loot wether there are more or less people and reboots. All Servers would spawn at around the same time (+/- a couple minutes), no matter how many people there are.

You'd just have to solve issues regarding people just wanting to pick up stuff when it cycles, but you should be able to implement that only loot changes when there is no player closer than a couple meters. Those with people closer, are marked to be changed as soon as there is no one around anymore.

Edited by liquidmind

The ridiculous speed in how fast I go through food and drink means I'd be dead in an hour if I had to wait till server restart to get more.

The ridiculous speed in how fast I go through food and drink means I'd be dead in an hour if I had to wait till server restart to get more.

Go hunting and hit up rivers. There's this thing called 'water', they used to put it in Mtn Dew.

First of all, you are going to be able to hunt for animals, and gather water from water sources. I hear this is going to be a pretty central mechanic to the game.

Also, I'm still advocating the idea of players being able to discover a farm on the map that could be cultivated to produce their own food in large quantities. Of course the correct equipment would have to be found and fixed, like tractors, and the actual cultivators, etc. The farm would be hard to defend against bandits and zombies and possible predators like wolves and bears, but I was thinking that his would be one of those end game goals for larger groups of players.

First of all, you are going to be able to hunt for animals, and gather water from water sources. I hear this is going to be a pretty central mechanic to the game.

Also, I'm still advocating the idea of players being able to discover a farm on the map that could be cultivated to produce their own food in large quantities. Of course the correct equipment would have to be found and fixed, like tractors, and the actual cultivators, etc. The farm would be hard to defend against bandits and zombies and possible predators like wolves and bears, but I was thinking that his would be one of those end game goals for larger groups of players.

Don't think that would really be pheseable, small scale stuff on the other hand I could see. I mean a large majority of farmland is dedicated to wheat, which would need to be milled into flour, you'd need not only the harvesting equipment but also access to a mill or grindstone, and then you'd have to cook the wheat into something edible (yeah you could just eat raw wheat/flour but...). Raiding the small gardens that houses have would be easier, or say there's a huge field of potatoes or other vegetable crop, you could use an entrenching tool or shovel to dig up a few potatoes to use or harvest the other corps directly. Nizhnoye has a pretty large orchard, maybe being able to pick fruit from the trees?