Sign in to follow this  
Tunusa

How much realism is too much for the SA?

I had a debate the other day about "reality" shows and the amount of actual production that goes into them. My point was that people watch tv for entertainment, to escape their everyday life. If reality shows weren't somewhat scripted and produced for entertainment then all we would have is average people doing mundane things while we watched.

This relates to DayZ in that the amount of mundane things like running for 45 mins, eating, drinking etc.. is offset by the amount of suspense it builds and fun had while not doing those things.

Reading through the suggestions forum I have seen a ton of great ideas based around the desire for more realism. However as someone who was part of a small group of people who started tossing good ideas at the dev team for the original Planetside and watched it grow tremendously.. only to see by the time the game went retail it very vaguely resembled its original concept. This drove many of the "original" fans away.

Do you feel like DayZ is at risk of falling to the same fate? Is there enough fun and interesting moments in the game to balance out a large number of additional, realistic but boring activities? If everyone on the server is too busy removing a splinter after going down a wooden ladder, or spending 45 mins looking for toilet paper have we veered off too much from the orginal draw to the game or do you think there is no balance needed because it all adds to the atmosphere of a survival game?

• Like 1

I think that these "boring tasks" make DayZ, a realistic 'zombie' simulator.

• Like 2

To put it simply I don't think DayZ is at risk from the issues mentioned above (feature creep some call it I think).

Why? Because for some time now Rockets had a very clear vision of what it is he wants the game to be and he's sticking with it. Of course different ideas will be played with but but the initial concept is strong and is not under threat.

I think the key to getting DayZ right will be all about balance but let's remember what bought most of us here to start with, when the mod first became popular it was because it offered something different, sometimes frustrating, ocassionally brutally hard and at fairly slow pace. I don't see that changing with the SA TBH, in fact it might have more of all of that but with more content and depth to keep us interested for longer periods.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 4

To be honest, I find it alittle unfair of you to use examples as removing a splinter, or looking for toilet paper. I get your point with spending quite some time on things that are "basic" stuff, that be hunting, gathering parts and general scavenging. The whole realism part of dayz is, in my opinion, what what Rockets whole intention with the game. I find it just as fun as having to take good care of my character and all the time be on my toes for eventual encounters or events, as it is to run around in BF3 shooting bullets everywhere.

The realism part I find extremely refreshing compared to the rest of the games on the market which focus more and more on fast paced FPS.

A game will never be comletely realistic, but I personally look forward to a game with as many realistic elements as it seems Rocket has intentet to implement.

Edited by Kozak
  • Like 4

I like this thread,

- Not sure what my toughts are towards it?..

I've read somethings where i thought this is going to be tooo much survival then what we're doing right now?

theres some aspects that i've heard off which i'm really really looking forward to, yet theres also some things im like? No. Just no,

Weapon durability, Keeping your gun clean, Sounds good to me, very survival, but yet i can see which pain in the ass thats gonna be 6 months after release

Finding mags, refilling your mags, That is something i thought the game allready had, when is started playing DayZ 8 months ago, this was not the case, but i believe i've read somewhere that thats going to be implanted. Looking forward seeing how that works really, Hopefully youre able to keep the mags, even tho' their empty, so you can get a chance to refill them again, after maybe cleaning

I've stopped reading up on everything being publised by the devo's, only because i'm trippin, just waiting for this game to come out, yet somehow i dont want it too.. only because i'm afraid its going to be flop

Needs more realism.

In the standalone, I propose having electrodes attached to your body that give you a zap when you get hit by a bullet or zombie.

*jokes*

Edited by the horror
  • Like 1

You know there's too much realism when you have to scratch your nose every ten minutes

• Like 5

I don't know about realism.

All the features in the game should be inspired by reality, but the aim should be to have a deeper, more complex and challenging experience.

I'm for more realism. Fate I the faith in the team to keep it classy not worried about the SA's fate.

• Like 1

By the almost ridiculous amount of realism the forum wants in dayz makes me think...why the hell don't you just go outside if you want realism?

• Like 2

The Standalone needs a poop off switch for servers :D

I don't play PC games to poop, i'm just saying...

• Like 3

You know there's too much realism when you have to scratch your nose every ten minutes

Or a nasty coke habbit.

You miss the point, that's just a small part of what will be a very deep disease mechanic, something that has never been tried in a game before and if done correctly will pave the way for many copy cat games (not the actual poo bit but the concept).

• Like 1

As was stated before it's unlikely that a game will become so close to realism that it's comparable in every way to real life. In my opinion DayZ cannot have too much realism simply because it's a survival simulator, and as Fraggle said Rocket is pretty concrete about what is happening at the moment and seems to be holding fans suggestions until later on in development, so a lot of the suggestions wont even be added into DayZ on the initial release and even then I'm sure that Rocket will make sure that the community agrees on the changes before-hand. Standalone has so much flexibility and I can't wait to see what the development team does with it.

Yes, you miss the point... It's a great idea, introducing a new mechanic that has never been tried before in a game. I'm sure it wont be that bad.

I'm all for increased realism and doing mundane tasks.

It will add depth to the game adding the ability to ignore these small tasks which over time may get worse than if you were to deal with it right away.

Also adding more of a learning curve to different aspects of gaming world.

As for how much realism is too much.. I'd say a pneumatic rubber mallet attached to the base of my chair connected to the computer. Making it so when you break you leg in game, the mallet swings around and gives you a nice hit to the shin.

I'd say anything that helps to reduce our ability to be a walking death machine is welcomed. Add a more mortality feel and a fear of risk vs reward for just moving around, jumping over a fence you might snag your clothes reducing durability or stumble causing noise and alerting a horde.

By the almost ridiculous amount of realism the forum wants in dayz makes me think...why the hell don't you just go outside if you want realism?

Would you care to elaborate on that? I dont quite see the connection between the amout of realism in a game about the apocalyps, and going outside to take a walk or do mountain biking. Why cant I have both?

• Like 1

There's no zombies in Scotland for me to chop with a hatchet.

There's no zombies in Scotland for me to chop with a hatchet.

You can pretend everyone you hate is a zombie.

Wait! You saw Zombies out side!!!! Where the fuck do you live!!!!

:facepalm: x 1,000,000

I want to club you for that

Edited by Vindicator

The thrill is survival. Risk of dying is your motivation, it's what makes the game. What is a boring activity? The zombies are pretty boring currently, SA announced there is only going to be 400~ on a server. That's boring.

If the game doesn't motivate you to survive, then it's just another first person shooter. If the game's survival is solely based on PVP, then it's just another first person shooter. That's boring.

You can pretend everyone you hate is a zombie.

They aren't really zombies so it isn't realistic :P.

Weapons, ballistics, wounding, etc are what I care about the most. I want that as real as possible.

I don't really care too much about other stuff as long as it's not too far out there. I don't need my character actually taking several days to die of thirst.

Wait! You saw Zombies out side!!!! Where the fuck do you live!!!!

:facepalm: x 1,000,000

I want to club you for that

Who said i was specificly talking about zombies.

Who said i was specificly talking about zombies.

You are talking about a Zed survival game forum. Of course Zeds are always part of the equation. People want to play a authentic Zed survival game. While itching your nose is a funny joke, things like a realistic medical system, is worth consideration.