r4z0r49

1.7.6 Cans and Drinks

This might be a free mod, but I'd like to highlight the following:

• Players purchased both Arma II and Arma II OA from Bohemia Interactive.
  • The DayZ mod is an 'alpha' for the standalone version.
  • The standalone version is being developed by Bohemia Interactive.
  • The standalone version will earn MILLIONS of dollars/pounds/euros (whatever) for Bohemia Interactive.

Without the players, Bohemia Interactive would never have received MILLIONS from the sale of Arma II and Arma II OA, let alone the future MILLIONS that the SA will earn them.

So if the mod developers aren't receiving any money for their effort, blame Bohemia Interactive. The players are doing their bit in testing the gameplay etc for Bohemia Interactive.

1) You chose to purchase Arma 2 and OA, which are themselves cracking games in their own right in order to play this mod. You gain no entitlement from doing so. This was entirely optional on your part, it was a free choice you made to purchase another game in order to play the mod, you could have said "nope, going to wait for a standalone version".

2) No, it is not an alpha for the standalone, the standalone is being developed on new code and in a new engine on a basic premise that is Dean's "DayZ". This now community led mod is in "alpha" stage itself. This isn't the alpha for the standalone, the alpha for the standalone is in fact, the standalone alpha.

3) Its being developed by Rocket with the backing of Bohemia, yes.

4) Yes it probably will...your point is? They are a company who will make money from the sale of the game, much like every other games company attempts to do.

And finally, your last paragraph is so fatally wrong that its almost funny. Bohemia have nothing to do with this mod, Bohemia dont have to pay them anything, dont blame them for anything. The Mod Devs are doing this because they enjoy the mod, and like with every other mod in the history of modding except maybe DOTA, they are doing this because they love it and take pleasure from it. We aren't testing anything for Bohemia, we are playing a community developed mod that is in its alpha stages, much like Project Reality was for Battlefield 2 for years. Bohemia and the standalone have nothing to do with these forums, this version of the mod, anything you've put in your post.

Please read, digest and learn. The major problem with the criticisms of this update have come from wild misinformation, please refrain from spreading any further nonsense.

BACK to my original post which was going to be my views on the cans: Yes the names are a little silly, and yes they are a tip of the cap to the moderators, but the whole issue has been blown out of proportion by both sides to some extent. I wasn't even aware of the cans until I picked one up, went to drink, saw the name next to "Can (XYZ)", momentarily went "huh?" and didn't care as my drinks bar refilled. If that instance of the name makes enough of the community unhappy, a simpler compromise might be to leave the textures as they are and just change the UI name to something like "Can (Community)". This way there is still a new food and drink types other than beans, pasta, sardines and coke (which by the way when it finally left your system would definitely require at least 5 of the toilet rolls I've found so far!) which actually increases my "immersion" whilst retaining the acknowledgement to those who put their free time and effort in, balancing it out for those who find the names excessive.

Edited by Gavstar
  • Like 1

Why must RAZOR and co add in other people, just because they have done something great for the community? It was RAZOR and co's choice to do the moderators because they were a group.

You're right, Razor can do whatever he wishes it isn't really hurting anyone. Why are we here talking about it? And is that going to make the slightest bit of difference?

Because the cans were named "mZLY yZLY" and "Herpy Dooves". All in all, ridiculous names.

The ui naming of them has since been fixed. You need to look close and scrutinize the actualy little item picture in the UI to see what it says, and so what if it says that? Don't like itm, don't pick it up, it is on the same loot table as the rest of the food and drink.

Some peoples arguments are so dumb. The most used one is, "Who cares what they are named". Well if you don't care then why are you posting here. This is for the people who did care, and that argument makes you look like a giant hypocrite.

The second one is saying giving the devs some credit. O.k great, make a wall somewhere with their names on it. Make some kind of credit system. Make a picture or few in a random building. Make it like an Easter egg. Here is a great comment someone left.

to force feed your credit via items all players use is very selfish and egotistical.

This comment is correct in so many ways. We don't need to be force fed who works on this project. It is like amateur dev central. Hehe guys lets keep circlejerking our selves off so everyone can see. I respect the people continuing to work on the mod, because i still play it and i love the updates. But when we get these stupid names like Derpy Hooves and mlzy yzly soda they sound god awful retarded. Someone brought up they wouldn't of known if they were food from europe. Well we do know, and many people who live in europe would say they aren't food items. Do you think Americans only play this game? No. Most of the people are from europe.

I can't believe people are saying other people are entitled. We play the game and if someone dislikes something and want to share it they will. Just like you are now because some items got changed, they feel the exact same way when the items were in the game. The forum mods are also using these stupid arguments. The community should decide whats liked and disliked. Do food items change the game? No. But do they make the game look like some amateur piece of S!#$ then yes, people will care. If the devs really need some kind of recognition then make a credits section in the mod. So their ego can be fixed with their name on it.

Edited by Lavadm
  • Like 1

You misunderstand, yet again. Most people that I can see didn't have an issue with in-game items being a nod to the forum moderators, it was the painfully ridiculous names that came about as a result.

You probably won't read it because of your hate erection for Reddit, but I'll link you to this post that very succinctly explains why some of the names are a bad thing: http://www.reddit.co...ersy_over_cans/

Most people talk without knowing what they talking about, that's the true problem

Like i said before :

You know the new names of the foods only appears in the description of the item in the inventory ? the description that no ones reads.

When you pick a can you pick Can (pasta) or Can (beans) or something else and you eat a Can (pasta) and a Can (beans) you never eat Curgon's chicken noodles soup etc

So please ? A drama for this ? for 3 lignes of text in the description of an item IN THE INVENTORY ???

I'm sûre 99% of complaining people don't have tried the damn update.

Otherwise they will see how talking of breaking the immersion is ridiculous.

Please people, try t before talking about something you don't know

Edited by LordGoF

If we ask the community about every change what do you think the outcome will be? Its going to be a split every step of the way. Just as it is now

The players who like it don't mind the cans/drinks being left/removed.

The players who don't like them wont them removed.

So removing the offending items until the name issues have been resolved would be the best for everyone. DayZ will always remain the same but everyone has there own idea of what DayZ should be. The main fact this project is still Dean's every new idea has to be passed by Dean before being added we add nothing without Deans say so. The main goal/ideas/thoughts/progress of DayZ still remain. The main core system of DayZ still exist's.

You're right, Razor can do whatever he wishes it isn't really hurting anyone. Why are we here talking about it? And is that going to make the slightest bit of difference?

I'm not saying he can do whatever he wishes and isn't really hurting anyone by it. What I'm saying is he decided to add in the moderators as a group on labels for food/drink.

"Just taking names of all moderators is unfair to the regular forum members who have put a lot of effort into helping people too." He added in every moderator [or at least planned to]--it's not like he chose specific mods because they did their job better than others. Everyone was put in [or is/was planned to] because they all had the same job--they were a group.

Also I believe Dr Wasteland M.D. was put in there, and he's not a forum moderator.

Now we have to remember that Joeyslucky had created a topic in the gallery with him doing foods/drinks after the moderator's names for fun. RAZOR implemented the moderator's label designs because Joeyslucky [and I know there was another designer but I have forgotten his name!] had already done the labels and designs for everyone that had a food/drink named after them that were implemented in 1.7.6. So RAZOR didn't really choose who to put in [as in, who has done something great for the community], he just took the already done labels/designs.

I'm a tad bit tired so I hope that made sense :)

Edited by Inception.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

So removing the offending items until the name issues have been resolved would be the best for everyone.

Yeah, go on. Spoil the reddit kiddies. After reading it again, i got the idea that we have to do with a bunch of "religious", irrational people. Calling bronys faggots. I mean only that, sets the "valid" reasons they want their canned food renamed.

Edited by Derpy_Hooves

Jeez, what a bunch of whiny survivors. Understand your stance though. A shame, cause your time couild be better spent on other things.

To address a semi-valid point (that more names = more slots on inventory), can you change the inventory titles to be food - Xname and drink - Yname? That way, they would all be co-located on the list alphabetically.

edited to add: you whinners made it much more difficult (20+ minutes) to find the quick fix for the #20 kick; a much more legitimate and urgent issue.. Couldn't eat on our server, with some leaving cause their food icons were blinking. Had to wade through all that crap to find it. [#20 not a valid search parameter]. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Dreaddman

Yeah, go on. Spoil the reddit kiddies. After reading it again, i got the idea that we have to do with a bunch of "religious", irrational people. Calling bronys faggots. I mean only that, sets the "valid" reasons they want their canned food renamed.

DERPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY why. ? <_<

I played last night this new version some, and.

• Generally is not bad. Zombie agro is different in many places, this is related to how many buildings around I think. Sometimes they blind, sometimes zeds attacking you even when shooting SD weapon. This is ok. I had nice fight with zeds in Vybor, was hot, but no paranoic like in previous version.
  • Walkers randomly on fields everywhere is good idea, but they should be more random. I saw many zeds walking same direction, same animation and same distance each other - it is too fake and looks weird.
  • I changed clothes to ghilie and it working, I'm still alive, however was strange animation with "pain" and scream, and maybe I survived it only because my health was 100%
  • deer stands with hunting items only - dunno, I checked many and mostly here bandages and chemilights. Where I can get ammo now? Stanag and similar???
  • I'm not against new food, but 50kg food bag is weird imo (you can eat it at once) and I don't like "funny" names in post apocaliptic game like this. It is ok in L4D2, but not in dayz
  • here razors everywhere, and food named razor too. Even Rocked not added Rockets to this mod or drinks named Rocked or dean. I think this is just for feeding razors ego, nothing more and I think it's not needed in this mod
  • as I said weeks ago, Chernarus in very east Europe region and here should be more russian food instead of cola and canned beans, but what I know?
  • I ruined my old bike, because zed spawned just front of me on NE Airfield. He spawned when I was on full speed 1m front of me
  • I'm very against making backpack smaller. Moreover, second weapon should be just on your shoulder instead in backpack. Can you imagine how to put M107 or even M16A2 to Alice??

Either way, you could use the bilboards in DayZ, and customize them with names of people that helped DayZ become what it really is!

You, Sir, have my beans. Brilliant idea.

^^^^^ exactly, how very dare they put zombies in a zombie game.

Storm in a frigging t cup if you ask me, I thought they were all quite funny and looked forward to finding them. Should be an achievement for getting them all, lol.

Edited by DazTroyer

I honestly don't see what all the complaints are about. "Oh look, theres a can with a mod's name on it. IT RUINS THE IMMERSION QQ"

No, it doesn't.

But if you have to remove the cans, at least keep the things like trail mix and lemonade. People can't really complain about those.

at least keep the things like trail mix

Nope, they don't have raisins in them.

remove pls

• Like 1

Epic overreaction. Shouldn't have bent. If you looked outside this place you'd have noticed nobody really minded the names in other forums (SA, Neogaf, Facepunch)

Specific forums for games are nearly always shitholes, composed of the very worst and uninformed people in the community. I'd say the revert is alright because you're just starting to handle the whole thing, but I think you shouldn't have gone through with it.

• Like 2

• here razors everywhere, and food named razor too. Even Rocked not added Rockets to this mod or drinks named Rocked or dean. I think this is just for feeding razors ego, nothing more and I think it's not needed in this mod

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121763-3d-model-different-food-qualities-215-update/

That's right, Razor and his team had nothing to do with the cans. They were made by community members.

Don't see a big problem with the drink & food getting named ... first of all adds a little diversity to the "menu" and second, it's a fun way for the devs to get a little recognition

Also ... awesome work with the crossbow, i can imagine it took some time and effort to make that, soo ... Cheers for the Devs !

Well i got good news to those who liked the idea, balotabuddies.net will be applying the food items to our servers when we update, our community feels it's a welcome addition and look forward to finding the new loot.

I am welcoming everyone to come get whitelisted with us and enjoy our servers.

Probably going to have to jump ship to your servers. I liked the implementation of the items. They really had a positive impact for me. Our reddit brothers seen to be the only who are unappreciative about this.

Razor, please keep the cans in game. Just remove the names from the description as well. I think this is a fair compromise other than giving into the utter "my way or the highway" part of the community. Our reddit comrades have me a little discusted in how they're behaving and reacting to such work of one of our community members. Yet they want "beans beans." Hypocrits.

• Like 4

I found the extra food unnecessary but it was not a big deal to me I'd prefer real brands for the food. In fact it would be a easy way for the Mod to make money go to say Chef Boyardee and say hey we will put your product in the game as a form of advertising and you pay X amount for it just a easy way for the mod to make money but just a idea. Any way getting back to the topic at hand I really don't see what the problem is unless it affects game play like kicks from battle eye, or if the time that it took to make those could have been used to fix the Zombie AI more or some thing more needed. Other than that the update seem to be working just fine!!

Cheers,

Probably going to have to jump ship to your servers. I liked the implementation of the items. They really had a positive impact for me. Our reddit brothers seen to be the only who are unappreciative about this.

Razor, please keep the cans in game. Just remove the names from the description as well. I think this is a fair compromise other than giving into the utter "my way or the highway" part of the community. Our reddit comrades have me a little discusted in how they're behaving and reacting to such work of one of our community members. Yet they want "beans beans." Hypocrits.

If i was Razor i would not even rename them. After a week none will notice. I don't get this people. I don't get them at all. It's like they spawn at elektro and instaid of rushing to the buildings, get the supplies they want and get the fock out of there, they stay and examine every little detail they find.

Burn them. If this things goes on, i have a great piece of work to commit for them from my precious George Carlin. It fits the situation perfect.

• Like 2