NewClearWinter (DayZ)

New Food and Drinks Names

Hello there

Ok to take my namesake for example.

Bad taste? how come? I've made a few corny jokes about being "fruity" for example but why does it bother you? I'd like to know?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

Bad taste? how come? I've made a few corny jokes about being "fruity" for example but why does it bother you? I'd like to know?

Rgds

LoK

I dont think its any of your names in particular and i do like to see mod appreciation in the game. For me its that the items seem too childish to belong in this game.

Edited by ihaywirei

Yes immesion is very vandalised by... 3 words in the description of a can in the inventory ?

Have you at least try the update ???

You pick a "can (beans)", you eat a "can (beans)"...

So saying it is vandalising the immersion.... Hahaha good joke

Yeah, I don't think anyone honestly ever reads the description for items other than the guns when they need to remember what kind of ammo it takes lol In game, you only ever see them as Can (Spaghetti) or Can (Ravioli) or Can (Muffin) (Honestly, that is the only one anyone should complain about it, cause it is a muffin in a can...WHAT IS THIS! lol), with the description giving the name. It doesn't clutter up the inventory, you can barely see the picture on the cans anyways. I can understand immersion, but this isn't like adding in a laser gun or jetpack into the game, it is simply a texture most won't pay attention to and a description no one will read more than once.

ugh pass the eye bleach.

I just went on reddit and saw all the misinformation that's up there.

It needs to be nuked from orbit.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

i want a hardcore zombie survival horror game. i dont expect things like "derpy hooves canned muffins" to be a food choice in this so called hardcore zombie survival game. (no offense to derpy hooves)

Even in a zombie appocolypse there would still be tins and packets of cheesily named products surely? Would it be better if they were called "Death Juice" or "Man Flakes". No.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

I feel that it's not very clever as most people don't get the inside joke they added in there. If a player does not know about your fruity remarks they will just find the name bland and uncreative. Something in the lines of "Orlok's fruity Oatmeal" would be much more thematically fitting at least in my opinion. I'm fairly open for this kind of shenanigans from game devs, I know many of my friends would get their jimmies rustled for even more subtle names

• Like 1

Problems with the new cans are:

1. Adds lots of different sodas and cans to make inventory even more pain in the ass to manage (can be avoided by just adding the textures, not names)

2. Affects immersion in a negative way

I understand that you mods want some recognition, but this is not the right way to do it. You HAVE our recognition and respect currently. We might not say it loud, but I believe that almost everyone who waits for SA appreciates dayzmod and its devs very much. You don't need to add items to gain respect, it just annoys people and you lose the respect that you have gained with your hard and great work. Not to mention this is against the basic consept of DayZ and not very realistic. Active players already know who you are and what you do because of your work, not artificial food and drinks.

And your response to community's feedback. I didn't like it. You are a little too defensive about those new cans. It is not you devs who decide what players like and want to see in the game, it is us players. Please don't get arrogant and please listen to what players have to say. Some of both side's comments have been out of the line. Some of you have totally discarded the feedback as rubbish, it is not the way mods should behave. Yeah, sometimes it is hard to be constructive, but bare with us. I don't want to be rude, but there isn't that big a difference to how WarZ handled the feedback in case of some mods.

I registered because of this. Not because the cans actually, but after reading how mods just laughed about the feedback.. I got annoyed. This whole can thing is actually working against you, because people do get annoyed because of those names. So you get fame, but it might not be positive fame. My suggestion is to make that a little more subtle or just trust that we indeed respect you the way you are without forcing some cans into the game.

• Like 4

Hello there

May I ask what names and why? I genuinely would like to know.

Cut n paste the list and bold out which ones offend, perhaps with some reasoning behind it, so we can understand.

Rgds

LoK

I will attempt to represent the legitimate and most salient concerns that I have read today (I'm copying and pasting many of these and will attempt to show the original author)

YassirX (copied from the 1.7.6 update topic):"Updates are no longer targeted towards the player-base (which still exists), but the small community of this forum."

"Guys... this mod is not free, you need Arma 2 to run it. DayZ is an official trademark of Bohemia Interactive now.

I spent 20€ for Arma 2 to play this labeled trademark, this is the Alpha of the Standalone. Heck, Bohemia Interactive

is even advertising the Arma 2: Collection on Steam to be recommended for "DayZ". Arma 2 only sales because of DayZ.

Some experimentation is fine... but this food thing is just totally awkward. Basically I (and many others) already paid 20€ for DayZ.

So...Why should I have the forum moderators names on my food in the game?"

SoulReaver797 (from reddit):

"Eh I do kinda have to agree with the people that are upset by this, it does break immersion, I'd rather see something more realistic, I understand they've put work into the mod and it's good to give these people recognition, but the way it's been done feels like it's been shoved in my face and force fed to me."

NewClearWinter (from reddit):

"Second, DayZ is a game that's always had a serious atmosphere and is a "serious" type of game. It's supposed to be much more like a simulator in the aspects that it should be as realistic as possible, without comprising gameplay. So silly things such as "Herpy Dooves Canned Muffins" are just odd and are out of place. It takes immersion from the feel of living in a post-apocolyptic wasteland because of a shitty pop culture reference or peoples internet aliases on every piece of food."

maxnmike (update forum topic)"My main problem with the new food and drink names is the amount of space and time they take. Instead of being able to look in your backpack inventory and see what you have quickly you now will have to scroll down forever to see what is in there. You already had 6 different kinds of meat to deal with now you add several new food and drink options. The inventory and pack UI is already a pita to deal with and you just made it much worse.

SpunkMayo (update forum topic): "I've already stated why, it breaks immersion, and clutters up an already broken inventory system. If they called the M16 "pew pew jesus gun" and the AK47 "IN SOVIET RUSSIA", people would be a little more upset, because those are more "worthwhile" items in the game.

It's the little things that make this game good. Putting real-world names in all over the place for your e-peen is just against what this game is about, IMO.

While we're at it, why not have Dean riding a lawn mower, and maybe even make all the zombies sound like JackFrags. I mean, they're just sounds, right?""

Bobby Darin (update forum topic): "I don't think it really is a question about ruining immersion, more that it looks quite ridiculous - I am sure there must be other "cooler" ways of thanking everybody who has devoted their FREE time to this mod.

Thanks again to everybody involved in keeping this mod updated, even though my comment may seem ungrateful"

I am very grateful to those involved with this mod and the forums. I do not think it was a case of self-gratification. However, there doesn't seem to be much of an awareness here on the mod of the fact that the playerbase of this mod is vastly larger than the small community here in the official forum.

I'm posting this here because I saw forum moderators asking for real concerns about the changes. The quotations do not necessarily reflect my own personal feelings, but I saw value in them and decided to copypaste them here.

Edited by Bisonman80
  • Like 1

What classifies as a legitimate complaint?

Fair enough. It just seems some of the complaints I've read are a bit ridiculous. It's almost as if people just want to complain.

TagMor is way out of line here, but who's to blame really? Without delving into the forums to read the backstory, the update changelog can easily be interpreted as this being a strong case of self-gratification. I had to actually read through 14 pages of the update's forum topic to even get a sense of how this decision was made and carried out in the first place. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people who play Dayz don't spend most of their time here on the forums. I myself was a lurker up until today as my badge on the left clearly indicates.

So if people don't follow the forums to know why or how these things were introduced then how would they know that these items were named after forum mods? They wouldn't.

There are many legitimate concerns, as there are every time there's a patch but I'll be honest, I'm getting a bit fed up with people saying it's an e-peen or self gratification exercise for the mods when we never asked for such a thing and had nothing to do with it's implementation. I think that may have reflected in some of my posts so for that I appologise but when I see a few guys hard work shat on from a great height with no thanks offered whatsoever then it always rustles my jimmies.

Edited by Fraggle

I'm suddenly reminded why I prefer reddit over forums for pursuing a rational dicussion with actual arguments, despite the hivemind effect I already described above.

I'm not here to discuss or debate anything at all. I come here to see updates and new additions to a mod/game I rarely play anymore. Maybe thats why my care factor for such a harmless inclusion is next to none.

But anyone who is seriously upset by anything as small as this seriously needs to grow up.

Everyone seems to forget how to have fun while playing video games these days.

I fully agree with this:

"vandalising our immersion for some lame self-gratification. I'm pretty disgusted to be honest."

The community will remember the names on those cans in a negative light. It's pretty sad actually that this has been put into the game.

Hello there

Again there is this theame permiating through that somehow we had something to do with this.

WE DID NOT.

we do appreciate it though.

@

Bisonman80

Also, some of the above copy n pasted "facts" are wildly wrong AFAIK.

For eg only bowing to the local forum community. I 'dont think that's correct for example.

There are legitimate worries in there but almost all can be discussed and answered.

Rgds

LoK

I fully agree with this:

"vandalising our immersion for some lame self-gratification. I'm pretty disgusted to be honest."

The community will remember the names on those cans in a negative light. It's pretty sad actually that this has been put into the game.

For the love of everything holy. I don't know how else to say it.

WE (MODS) HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS IMPLEMENTATION! WE DIDN'T ASK FOR IT AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BEING ADDED.

How can that be self gratification?

Edited by Fraggle

So if people don't follow the forums to know why or how these things were introduced then how would they know that these items were named after forum mods? They wouldn't.

Because it's very easy for a random Dayz player to read the update log and ask the question: 'who are these people being referenced in the log'? and with a few clicks after a google search find out that they are forum moderators like yourself. Hence the mis-interpretation of hoards of people coming to the forums wrongly claiming that this is a case of self-gratification.

It's much, MUCH rarer that one will actually do the digging through the forums to figure out that this isn't the case. Take a moment and try to see how somebody would perceive all this as an average Dayz player who doesn't hang out regularly on the forums. Put yourself in their shoes.

You can get pissed off all you want and how people are mis-interpreting it. The better response is to ask yourself: what can we do as the forum community to better explain the decision-process for updating the mod so there isn't as much misunderstanding in the future. Right now it's very confusing to the vast majority of dayz players, even one's who've been playing for many months.

• Like 1

So really, I think the first issue is the changelog going into too much detail about the new items and then the in game descriptions being too descriptive.

They could have done it better, yeah. Like calling the items with their food names like 'beans' or 'chicken soup' but have the actual models with the witty names

That or just made the names more subtle so most people would not have even realized what was going on.

• Like 1

WE (MODS) HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS IMPLEMENTATION! WE DIDN'T ASK FOR IT AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BEING ADDED.

Just remove this bullshit and tell these egomaniacs that DAYZ's selling point is realism and immersion. I don't care if you didn't know. Nobody cares how it happened.

You can get pissed off all you want and how people are mis-interpreting it. The better response is to ask yourself: what can we do as the forum community to better explain the decision-process for updating the mod so there isn't as much misunderstanding in the future. Right now it's very confusing to the vast majority of dayz players, even one's who've been playing for many months.

On the whole We have no say it. We just moderate the forums. We cant just start making posts about stuff we know nothing about and have no control over. All we can do is discuss the issues with you and correct you where you may be misinformed.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok

Just remove this bullshit and tell these egomaniacs that DAYZ's selling point is realism and immersion. I don't care if you didn't know. Nobody cares how it happened.

We CAN'T. You don't seem to understand that.

I'm not here to discuss or debate anything at all. I come here to see updates and new additions to a mod/game I rarely play anymore. Maybe thats why my care factor for such a harmless inclusion is next to none.

But anyone who is seriously upset by anything as small as this seriously needs to grow up.

Everyone seems to forget how to have fun while playing video games these days.

If this is truly how you feel about it then I'm sure you're fine with the fact that this post: "What a bunch of faggots and the names are retarded" on /r/dayz has 142 upvotes and only 56 downvotes. Language matters, even when it comes to discussing a "silly game". If you wish to engage in a rational discussion, do not call people you disagree with faggots.

How does somebody adding my name to something result in me being called an egomaniac. The mind boggles.

WE 9MODS0 HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS IMPLIMENTATION!!!!

Maybe every mod could ask for their personal item to be removed from the game? You don't have to ask for it of course, but it would make the problem go away.

Even if you didn't ask for them to be in the game.. as long as they are there, community thinks that you don't want them to be removed, and basically it is almost same thing that to put them there yourself.

Edited by PureE
  • Like 1

I don't care if you didn't know. Nobody cares how it happened.

Pretty much sums it up. If it makes you feel better, one of the highest rated comments on this issue in reddit acknowledges you guys weren't responsible for any of it.

• Like 1

I'm starting to hope they decide to keep it like this, just to make the butthurt ones butthurt. If you really get that offended over a product name in a video game you deserve to get your jimmies maximum-over-rustled

Edited by Uuni
  • Like 3