gamerman001

Worst town to end up in/loot

Guglovo... I think it has around 5 loot spawns

It's striking how much East St. Louis, Illinois - apparently the most crime-ridden, urban-flight-ed town in the US - looks like something from DayZ:

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv7377.php

Pop open Google Maps, search for it, scroll down a bit and you get this:

http://goo.gl/maps/vYizr

In DayZ I remember spawning in Kamenka once, looking at the map, and thinking "bum". As a new start it's not much fun. Kamenka itself doesn't have much. You can go north to the deer stands, but you're either going to run across open ground or do a tonne of circling around. Further north you have wide open spaces, culminating in the supermarket in Zelenogorsk, which is a dream target for any snipers hiding in the forest to the south. It's conspicuous, it's overlooked by a rolling hill to the south-east, and the only escape routes involve running across open fields, and there's no cover.

Or you can go east, to Komarovo, which isn't much of an improvement on Kamenka. Then there's Balota, which has a tonne of loot and is one of those dangerous but loot-heavy places where new players go, even though it's incredibly risky, because you can just respawn if you die. Not so bad if you spawn on top of it, but irritating if you've just spent twenty minutes running there.

I get the impression that most players occupy a diagonal band from the airfield in the north-west to Elektro and Cherno in the south. I suspect that if you drew a triangle with those three locations at the points you'd encompass the majority of players at any one time. The south-east has forest to hide in, but the south-west is simultaneously boring (there's not much to see) and very dangerous (one single sniper can dominate large areas of countryside, if he has the patience).