Virfortis

Well here's a few ideas...

Now, the community is going to have to help me iron these ideas out, but I've worked on them for quite some time.

1: Tension/Shivers

Being near zombies can make you tense, and by tense I mean shaking. This would be prolonged exposure, but can be easily brought down by getting away (away being over x amount of meters, 50ish?) from zombies and just taking time to chill. Need a faster outlet, or nowhere to run? Light up a cigarette...and while we're at it SOMEONE make an eyepatch!

Likewise, laying prone/moving slowly at night would cause the cold air to make your character shiver. Temporarily removed with heatpacks (this is not the temperature system, but uses it to an extent) or a campfire to just warm the body up, a lot like stamina but for cold air.

2: Kick on Death/to Abort

This is one of my more washy ideas. Kicking players from the server on death, or making it so they have to open the player slot before they can reconnect. This is a little fun idea because it would kind of suck for clans, but if your character died he would be OFFICIALLY gone from the world, not just being sent back to respawn. It adds a bit more permanence to death, and if there's a free slot? No problems. This is mainly for big servers, but if you kill someone you can expect they won't be able to have supplies airlifted to them and come back with a vengeance + buddies.

Also, any form of leaving other than typing /kick and waiting 20 seconds will result in your character being left there for quite some time. (WIP, not sure if normal players can type a command)

3: Survival in General

If this bug with food has taught me anything, it's that survival isn't survival if you're doing okay. While not finding food at all is bad, making it uncommon would be an awesome thing to do. I had an amazing story where I rescued 3 starving survivors by giving them cooked meat and showing them places to hunt. This would make hunting a big deal, instead of camping supermarkets for stuff.

Also, headlamps. Takes the slot of NVGs, press L to use, works like a flashlight. It was done in STALKER and made for a very interesting dynamic at night where you knew where their head was, but they could still blind you constantly. (This also would make NVGs a risk/reward thing, as the headlamps would blind you and you couldn't see, versus the all reward they are now)

Lastly, I don't mind spawning without a water canteen, but any chance we can make them generally common in apartments and supermarkets? It's part of the bug, yeah, but just figured that if we can't spawn with it, we need it to artificially fix the concept of not being able to drink straight from a source.

Okay I was KIND OF hoping this would be read by someone with some feedback to give...

There already is a panicked feature, in that you character breathes more heavily, but i dont know if there is any other effect. Surely being chased by Zeds would make you a little stressed out.

Not sure about the kicking out on death though - seems a little harsh, especially if it takes a while to get on another server.

Headlamps wouldnt be a common occurance (where would you find one - a mine perhaps?

And why exactly do you want an eyepatch? You planning on going Captain Jack Sparrow crazy or something?

As for the water issue - in an Eastern European country i dont see how you could possibly die of thirst. Surely you could find water somewhere and drink straight from that source without need of a water bottle -though of course the water bottle is a handy thing to have.

I believe the current panic feature is not bad, trying to add even more could cause problems to players in term of aiming, in turn causing them to cry more.

The kicking out upon death should never be added, this will cause many issues with not only the players but could also cause issues with servers that have high player counts.

Finding a headlamp in a area that doesn't seem to have any mines or mining locations seems really unlikely, I am quite sure the map is more of a farming part of the state than the mining.

I see no point in making water canteens more common, since you would find soda cans far more commonly in cities or nearby villages, only the remote remote villages would have water canteens being more common.

headlamps would be found in sports shops, they aren't just used for mining. I have one for walking and cycling, so maybe find them in homes too.

Mainly, the tension/shivers idea is an anti-camping method. Players would slowly "lose it" from being near almost certain death (just shakes like if they needed painkiller, buildings would give enough distance from zombies to make it go back down, cigarettes would make it faster) while campers in the woods would need some source of heat to keep from shaking from the cold. This is NOT a blood loss idea. Also, my character has never panicked, so I don't know what that entails.

Kicking is, as I said, a pretty meh idea because that would suck for clans, but I threw it out there to see if it might be a good alternative to the respawn issue we have now, with loads of tents making dying a non-issue for established players.

The eyepatch? Come on, that would be FUN! (and besides, people say I can't have fun, this suggestion alone proves them wrong). The headlamps could be common in quarries, but drop sometimes in markets and homes, and even military camps (especially military camps)

The canteens and food are back to normal, but my suggestion is to make food and cans about half-way between now and when they were bugged. I say this because it's easy to just grab some stuff and go. I experienced being starving and not having any food, searching desperately for it while my food and water went red. It wasn't until I found a pepsi and ONE can of beans that I knew I would be okay...and I was elated to have found it. Players aren't grateful for food and water (though water is pretty easy given all the lakes) and I think that's one of the main things about survival.

Going to throw some other ideas out here: Get rid of kills on the debug monitor, and get rid of the leaderboards. Those are not doing DayZ any favors, and just encourage this "omg PK PK AAAAHHH!!!" attitude most survivors have.

Since when does smoking a cigarette calm your nerves? All it does is offset the stress brought on by the nicotine craving you are suffering from precisely because you smoke. Ridiculous suggestion.. The notion that cigarette smoking calms the nerves is 50s tobacco company propaganda rubbish.

If this mechanic came in, have it so if you do smoke a cigarette in game, you can't run as fast /long, and you are prone to occasionally coughing whilst sneaking around which zeds and players can hear.

Just have it so you get stressed and your aim gets all funky like when you need painkillers, but it goes away after a period of calm. Sitting or laying still for a minute or two.

The notion that cigarette smoking calms the nerves is 50s tobacco company propaganda rubbish.

To be honest, I figured that with food acting like health potions and being able to lift a car engine in your backpack, we weren't exactly going for real, but fantasized.

Kicking is' date=' as I said, a pretty meh idea because that would suck for clans, but I threw it out there to see if it might be a good alternative to the respawn issue we have now, with loads of tents making dying a non-issue for established players.

[/quote']

I like it. But also make it more difficult for players who like to keep respawing until they get the location they like.

Since when does smoking a cigarette calm your nerves? All it does is offset the stress brought on by the nicotine craving you are suffering from precisely because you smoke. Ridiculous suggestion.. The notion that cigarette smoking calms the nerves is 50s tobacco company propaganda rubbish.

It absolutely DOES work that way, as a sort of general stress reliever and relaxant.

More so the action of performing a commonly repeated task such as smoking a cigarette can create a false sense of normalcy in times of great duress, helping to prevent panic and even shock.

Love the eyepatch idea, but in keeping with the Arma2/DayZ spirit, it'd need to affect your field of view, like in Metal Gear Solid 3: 92482-metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-playstation-2-screenshot-big.jpg

I like the shivering idea, I mentioned earlier that it would be good to have an advantage to being in the rain, that your visibility is lower so you can sneak more easily (rain makes you harder to see/hear) but it would be cool if you shake because of it

Also, for the tension thing you could hear your heartbeat in your ears getting faster to freak you out....

I don't think your kicking idea is harsh enough. I think you should be limited to one (maybe two to account for server instability) spawn per server per 3-4 hour time period. It would (a) make death more meaningful and realistic, especially for those playing in groups and those who are substantially geared up (can't run back to your dead body or have your buddies come pick you up), and (b) help reduce some of the server hopping, ghosting, suiciding for better spawns, DCing to avoid death etc.

In addition (or maybe instead) put a 15-30 minute cooldown (enough so that it's more than just a short break in the action, but not so much to cause the average player to just call it a day and quit) on killed players before respawn. Or hell, give everyone a cooldown. Encourage payers to have a relationship with their servers (i.e. know what time of day it's going to be and how well your connection to the server is) so that people aren't constantly hopping.

Of course you'd need to put in some sort of caveat to reduce/eliminate any additional griefing (spawnsniping, streamsniping, etc) that might result from the new spawn mechanics. For instance, any death that is the result of PvP where one of the players has recently spawned (say in the last 5 minutes) would grant the killed player an additional spawn and/or no cooldown period.

I think smoking would maybe attract infected to you kinda like how animals a aware of you if you light up on the hunt ie they smell it and instinct tells them to move away but the opposite with infected

Going to throw some other ideas out here: Get rid of kills on the debug monitor' date=' and get rid of the leaderboards. Those are not doing DayZ any favors, and just encourage this "omg PK PK AAAAHHH!!!" attitude most survivors have.

[/quote']

Hey yeah. The leaderboard and stats on the debug screen seem to be in direct opposition to the stated goals of the developer. They really do need to go.

I think simply kicking you from the server when you die is pretty simple to implement and could prevent people from sprinting back to their corpse to get their items back. I don't know about how much additional load this could place on the servers, but it seems like the game already makes you pretty much reconnect in order to respawn.