shadowboxer (DayZ)

Weapon Customisation

We all know weapon customisation will be present in the standalone (attachments) what are your personal thoughts on it? and how customisable do you think it will actually be?

• Like 1

I don't mind sticking a flashlight on a gun via duct tape.

not sure I want anything more than that. Swapping scopes is a tricky affair.Even if you find one, it'll need to fit the rail or mounts on the receiving gun, and will need to be adjusted by firing at a target. Then again, it is just a game so maybe those details can be overlooked. It would bug me a bit still.

I think it will take some practice to get it right, I'm really looking forward to popping a silencer on my sniper rifle but it's not going to be easy to impliment it and make everyone happy.

• Like 1

I want to wrap muddy cloth around my AK just for the added camouflage. It's gonna be tricky to add that kinda things though

• Like 2

I don't mind sticking a flashlight on a gun via duct tape.

not sure I want anything more than that. Swapping scopes is a tricky affair.Even if you find one, it'll need to fit the rail or mounts on the receiving gun, and will need to be adjusted by firing at a target. Then again, it is just a game so maybe those details can be overlooked. It would bug me a bit still.

I do hope they model the optics after real life optics and require you to have the correct rail for that specific optic (i.e. picitanny). And obviously you can't just slap a silencer (suppressor) on any old barrel. So they should implement threaded barrels.

• Like 1

It's gonna be interesting. As above I hope it's not just a case of swapping out various optics with ease, it's gonna be a fine balancing act to make the game fun but still authentic and tricky. I guess that's the key to getting the whole game right though.

• Like 1

I hope they make it realistic in terms of having to have a correct rail e.t.c

Sticking things like a light source on the end is probably what I'd like the most tbh.

• Like 1

As far as the actual mounting of optics on the rifle, it's very easy (at least on M4 style rifles). It probably wouldn't be zeroed however.

• Like 1

I could probably mount a carrot on a rifle but doesn't it take some knowledge and skill to mount a scope and make it effective?

• Like 3

I want to tape my AK magazines together, so I can have faster reloads and my magazines are bundled into a single item(lets say the magazines taped together). And opticals sights, they don't always fit to rails or certain gun mounts. The Kobra sight could be for the AK series rifles only, and so is the PSO scope. This would bring an advantage to rifles with rail systems, as they can fit a higher variety of optical sights and attachments. I would also like to see alot of the rifles from the RH AK weapons pack. Search it up on Armaholic, it would fit DayZ very well.

• Like 1

I could probably mount a carrot on a rifle but doesn't it take some knowledge and skill to mount a scope and make it effective?

Its pretty easy to zero a rifle. Some people who have never had to zero a gun think its rocket science, but its not. Its just trial and error until the sights are alligned correctly with the point of impact at a certain range(say 300 meters).

• Like 2

I really hope it's not crysis style swap while you run but that you can only do it in some kind of workshops that would be scattered around the map.

• Like 1

I really hope it's not crysis style swap while you run but that you can only do it in some kind of workshops that would be scattered around the map.

I doubt they do it like that as it does not require a workshop to attach a silencer in real life...

• Like 1

i want to attach a huge knife, sword, machete or an axe to my rifle.

a flashlight would be nice, too.

i also want a dead man switch on my gun, connected to a satchel charge in my backpack.

if i die i will leave a huuuge crater and the explosion would destroy all my gear and hopefully my murderer, too :D

• Like 1

Depends on what type of scope, but generally no. Some optics you just put on the rail and screw it down with screws mounted on the optics.

• Like 1

I want to be able to find spray paint cans and use them on my gun to customize it. It'd be extra cool if there was something like a basic paint editor we could use to make designs for our guns.

• Like 1

I think it will be awesome, because now if you want to use something like a suppressor, you can take it off and put it back on whenever you want. I'm also hoping you'll be able to attach flashlights and melee weapons (e.g, Bayonet) to the gun. This will drastically change gameplay and make it more interesting.

dem gun camos gonna be lookin' good

• Like 1

My thoughts?

I hope it isn't as easy as 1, 2, 3.

I have a terrifying vision in my head of people mounting ACOGs and forward grips to AKs or every M4 coming with a quad rail...

I really don't want the weapons in the game to be transformed into a sort of 3D "Pimp My Gun", but it does seem likely and it will irk me if it happens.

I'm easily irked when it comes to guns and games.

• Like 2

I'm more excited about the idea that the weapons and magazines are deteriorable, and that we'll have to load magazines to be able to use them. I'm hoping there is a requirement for cleaning and maintenance of your weapon as well.

As far as other attachments, I love suppressors so I'm really hoping there is some attention to detail paid in that regard. M16/M4's and AK's all have threaded muzzles anyway, and most any weapon with a flash hider as well. I don't expect them to have specific cans only for 1/2x28 TPI on M4's that won't fit on an AK, which is different. The basic expectation I have is that you can't put a 5.56 can on a 7.62 weapon, but you could use a 7.62 can on a 5.56 weapon, and that you can't use handgun round suppressors on rifles. I hope normal ammo and SD ammo won't matter as much either, but will still be functionally different as far as sound goes.

It irks me to no end that I can't use regular ammo in a suppressed weapon in game. I want to see that fixed. Make standard ammo louder out of a suppressed weapon (because it is), and subsonic ammo quieter. But let me use whichever I want, or what I'm limited to finding at the moment FFS.

As far as light attachments, give me more than "On, Off". Maybe double tap L to turn it on and off, but just press L for momentary on for as long as I hold it down. I'll likely change the configuration to allow me proper use of a weapon light with ease, but the functionality should be there.

Edited by codave
  • Like 1

I think it will be awesome, because now if you want to use something like a suppressor, you can take it off and put it back on whenever you want. I'm also hoping you'll be able to attach flashlights and melee weapons (e.g, Bayonet) to the gun. This will drastically change gameplay and make it more interesting.

dem gun camos gonna be lookin' good

The suppressor or stuff like that would have to take 5 or 10 seconds to put on though, so you can't just pop it on and off. Also, this would expose you while you are putting it on. There also should be a downside to suppressors (increased bullet drop or it can only use specific [rarer] ammo)

• Like 1

The suppressor or stuff like that would have to take 5 or 10 seconds to put on though, so you can't just pop it on and off. Also, this would expose you while you are putting it on. There also should be a downside to suppressors (increased bullet drop or it can only use specific [rarer] ammo)

There are some suppressors that can just be popped on and off that don't screw on.

To much emphasis on military equipment

What's wrong with military equipment? If the apocalypse hit I would much rather have an M4 than some old hunting rifle or 12 gauge.

This.

tacticoolAR15.jpg

Tactical AND practical. Don't worry about the weight. An M107 still weighs more by a long shot.

In all seriousness though, I like the workbench idea. It would allow modifications without being able to do it on the fly.