rhinocrunch

I have a dream.

First I want to say, I know there are a lot of these "features in DayZ" and Reddit has a picture board with all the most wanted features on the main page of the DayZ subreddit occasionally. But If you allow me, I would like to share with you where I would like to see DayZ eventually. Or however long it takes. Most of these probably wont make the cut but a man can dream.

The Server.

I would love to be able to log into a game server in which the map was procedurally created or parts of it. A map that interlinks across multiple servers as a continuation of the map I am on. A server where there is no death messages, side chat or any form of in game communication other than an actual microphone direct chat. (This means no direct chat via keyboard as well and a next to nothing GUI). I would like to log in to a persistent map that covers multiple mountain regions, valleys, plains, rivers, lakes and abandoned cities. I would like to know that on any give time, there are hundreds of players out there, just like me, just trying to make it by and there are hundreds of servers. And we are all just a map journey away from each-other in a vast network of the largest online map ever created.

The Shelter

I would like to to see the emphasis of construction and destruction on your shelter. This can be anything from creating concrete pits around the house to trap zombies at night, a fail safe to burn the house down in an effort to escape a bandit raid or even completely deconstruct the house for materials one piece of drywall and nail at a time. I would like to log in and hope that the items I have worked so hard to collect are still going to be in the secret part of the floor and duffel bag I left them in and Bandits didn't raid it while I was away. Or even log into my Clan's base and take turns on post, watching for Bandits and accepting new survivors at our homemade gate compound.

The Gear

I would like to see everything imaginable in the real world made available in game. Items that aren't counted worthy like paint so I can paint my bunker white to let players know it is a friendly safe house (or abandoned), mace to decommission bandits and even a defibrillator to bring back downed friends. I would like to see commodities like sugar and schematics to craft a hydroponics system to grow indoor vegetables since scouting helicopters might find my crops if they were outside become so rare they become worth actual real money.

Crafting

I would like to see the reinvention of weapons from the middle ages with a wasteland / madmax twist on them for home defense. Where you will think twice about walking up to someones house unannounced for fear of a homemade flamethrower, shotgun tripwire or net that catches and traps you. I would like to see in game drugs like an alcohol distillery, meth lab (too much Breaking Bad? lol) and green sustainable energy like solar panels become available.

The Zombies

I would like to see hordes of zombies in cities and at night constantly roaming around aimlessly. I would like to be forced to sneak around my own home because the sound could set the horde off outside if they happened to be in my neighborhood. Or even have to drench the house in alcohol because they might smell me or a bandits dog might smell the food inside. I would like to see difficulty in zombies appear like children, fat people, athletic/strong zombies and even women zombies. Even pregnant zombies. (You will shoot other players in the head no problem but the sound of an NPC zombie who is a pregnant woman offends you?)

The Core

At its core, I wouldn't like to see to anything fundamentally change about the game but increase in difficulty and mirror reality as much as possible. Adding a narrative, skill trees, talents, or anything that will differentiate from its core is something I wouldn't be interested in. The engine is perfect, the simulator gives you anxiety like no other. I just would like to see it reach the level of World of Warcraft subscriber-ship and mirror realism to reach its maximum potential. I think it would keep a lot of people interested for a very long time. Will it ever happen? Who knows..but a man can dream.

Edited by rhinoCRUNCH
  • Like 6

Wow, that's alot.

I'm going to say that alot of those things are either impossible or too technical for this time period, however maybe in the future you can live your dream :)

I for one believe in bringing the zombie apocalypse to reality. It would be so much more simple.

• Like 4

Maybe this dream could become a reality a few years from now. :thumbsup:

When I read the title, I thought this was going to be an MLK Jr. reference.

• Like 1

microphone direct chat. (This means no direct chat via keyboard as well and a next to nothing GUI).

So that means, players without a microphone can't talk and gives them more of a chance being killed from an encounter with another player. Imo that's a silly suggestion. Maybe there could be servers what disable keyboard DC.

Edited by BwobBwub
  • Like 3

So that means, players without a microphone can't talk and gives them more of a chance being killed from an encounter with another player. Imo that's a silly suggestion. Maybe there could be servers what disable keyboard DC.

I was just about to bring this up to.

who doesn't have a mic in our dayz?or who cant afford one?even a $5 one like mine :P

and about rhino's original post,that's pretty much the perfect game,i'd REALLY like to have a game like that,i hope dayz standalone will be like that or at least feature some future patches that do some of these things

Edited by IcyZ
  • Like 3

Actually this is all possible ... not in the Arma2 engine or current Mod ... but this is possible. I have a similar dream and I have been working on a secret project with two other developers, a couple of artists, and a scripter using the Torque 3D Game Engine (which we may change later). Your vision and my vision are pretty similar and that is all I can say ... except this: "I make games that I would like to play" ... seeing your vision means there are other people out there who have similar outlooks on games as I do ... and that is refreshing.

Not everybody can afford good microphones, or know how to get them to work with DayZ.

Hell, my mic took a couple of weeks to get working, and that is only with one profile. My other profiles simply don't detect my mic in game.

• Like 1

I definitely agree that some cool things could be done with the maps. The most frightening experiences I've had in DayZ mostly came when I just started playing. Everything was new to me, I never knew where I was and there could be anything around the next corner. The intensity of immersion, adventure and fear I felt at that time is unparalleled by any other game. Now that I know the maps like the back of my hand I miss that in a big way.

IF DayZ could automatically generate new maps at server side the experience would be unreal! Unfortunately Arma isn't exactly Minecraft and the world isn't composed of stackable blocks whose placement you can automate but a boy can dream.

who doesn't have a mic in our dayz?or who cant afford one?even a $5 one like mine

I have a mic but I absolutely hate using it, having been brought up in the days of Gameboy Color and Sega Genesis where such things didn't exist, so I'll usually shoot people because typing out "friendly?" is too much trouble.

About the mic thing, i have a built in mic and a actual headset, both of them do not work in Dayz, they work fine on any other program or game that has a communication feature, but dayz for some reason does not detect them

If you cant figure out how to work a microphone in a video game. You deserve to die...(in game).

• Like 1

These are mighty fine ideas, but I don't know how much of it can be achieved with todays technology, let alone the Real Virtuality engine. But I must admit, Rhino has some pretty good ideas. And makes a damn fine tutorial too.

These are mighty fine ideas, but I don't know how much of it can be achieved with todays technology, let alone the Real Virtuality engine. But I must admit, Rhino has some pretty good ideas. And makes a damn fine tutorial too.

Procedural Generated Terrain and can be used to stream large terrains.

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/authorID/40622

Read all the blogs pertaining to "Unlimited Voxel Terrain" ... it is possible with today's technology ... it is just not possible with some game engines. As for all the other ideas ... it is all possible ... it just needs to be built in to the engine. The amount of work required is entirely dependant on the team developing the game and the engine they are using. Obviously having access to the C++ source code of the engine is the key, something like this could not be done in "Unity" for instance unless you had access to the full source code (which is pretty costly).

The trick is to finding the right team, right engine, and then making the time to make the game do everything that is required. But it is all possible ... with a game developed from the ground up to be a Zombie Survival Game and not a Mod of a Military Simulation Engine or a Mod on top of the Source Engine ... both those engines were designed for particular purposes.

Rocket and his team has done an awesome job with the DayZ Mod and implementing the features that they have ,,, but I think they are starting to reach the limit of what the Arma2 engine can do ... so DayZ SA should be interesting. :)

Maybe this dream could become a reality a few years from now. :thumbsup:

To be honest, there isn't that much in the list. A crafting mechanic would take a bit of tuning to get right, and would probably take a fair amount of time, but the other things are just adding in items into loot spawns, and then giving them a use, such as being able to colour walls and such. I think that the shelter one is vital for a zombie apocalypse game, there needs to be more emphasis on needing to remain in one spot for awhile, and protect yourself.

A few months work and most of these features could be 100% working.

I have a mic but I absolutely hate using it, having been brought up in the days of Gameboy Color and Sega Genesis where such things didn't exist, so I'll usually shoot people because typing out "friendly?" is too much trouble.

gameboy color you say?i guess you were playing some pokemon as well?did u never use the sexy cable connection to play with a friend? :P

plus a mic is good because if someone comes and say "friendly" and you are being hit by zombies or whatever you cant stop and type so you have to shoot him..and bam,you created a bandit that will kil fresh spawns to feel good :P

and about the not working mic, @K1NGFL1P,make sure to go at the "Recording" tab on your sound thing and make your mic the "Default communication device".it should work.otherwise,just try to find any driver updates for it

Not sure i like the idea of procedurally generated maps, one of the great things about dayz is that cos Chernarus is modelled on actual terrain your brain tells you that it's real from a thousand different little visual cues you're only subconsciously aware of. I think you'd lose a lot of that by generating terrain.

If you cant figure out how to work a microphone in a video game. You deserve to die...(in game).

Helpful..

The dead linger has procedurally generated maps. The other thing I really like is the idea of the maps being connected so its just one giant map spread across a network of servers. You hit a certain border, bam you have changed servers. (Kind of like the way WoW does it now when you leave a main city, you are brought to a main server for your battlegroup)

All the technology is there to create everything I mentioned. It would just take years. I don't know how long peoples attention span for DayZ is going to be though.

when do we add dragons ?

When ESO drops.

YO ITS RHINOCRUNH FROM YOUTUBE :D

YO ITS BEAN MARINE FROM THE DAYZ FORUMS

When ESO drops.

YO ITS BEAN MARINE FROM THE DAYZ FORUMS

Hey Rhino, I saw your (really stupid) graveyarded topic!

Remember, when you tried to troll people?