Sign in to follow this  
Invalid (DayZ)

Why is DayZ so beautiful?

Hello, I have a terrible computer.

I can barely run minecraft at 30 FPS, and I think DayZ is a fantastic mod, and I can play it at a stable 20 FPS with settings to the lowest settings possible.

What is it with dayz that even with the graphics scaled down to the most lowest settings possible, it is so...immersive? I really feel like I'm in a zombie apocalypse! (Exept for the part where you can reload a hatchet)

For the hatchet part, they never made melee weapons in the actual Arma 2 game and so they made this as a quick mod to allow for melee weapons. Arma 2 is at fault here as it was built as a simulator and so it's poorly optimized.

With that and you saying you have a potato for a computer, your chances of doing any better on Frames Per Second are slim

Edited by Zyromkiru

For the hatchet part, they never made melee weapons in the actual Arma 2 game and so they made this as a quick mod to allow for melee weapons. Arma 2 is at fault here as it was built as a simulator and so it's poorly optimized.

With that and you saying you have a potato for a computer, your chances of doing any better on Frames Per Second are slim

Hnngh..

The hatchet is not a "quick mod."

ARMA 2 is not poorly optimized because it's a simulator.

There is, or ever was a melee system in the ARMA 2 engine, so they made a weapon with a very short range, changed the model to an axe, removed muzzle flash(made it "silenced"), and changed the gunshot sound to a quiet swing. The hatchet is a remodeled gun. With 99999 ammo in a single clip. A gun doesn't have a clip in it until you've manually reloaded it first. That's why you need to reload it the first time you pick one up.

As for optimization, I have no idea.

• Like 2

As for optimization, I have no idea.

Nothing to say about that, it's just poorly optimized...

Hope it changes with further Versions of RV engines :)

Up close the textures can look nice, but further away, nope. From far enough can also look sweet, though, but the draw distance is not enough (I blame the optimization for that). BF3 has superior graphics with much less performance cost, but then again the maps are relatively small compared to Arma 2 and have 2D sprites on the map edges.

Also the texture pop-ins are very annoying sometimes. Pop, trees a mile away, pop, more grass right at your feet.

CPU lag is another annoying thing near cities, but luckily it's getting fixed for the standalone.

Edited by THE_BURNDOWN

Man I used to get 30-40 FPS and 20-30 in cities but now it spazes out all the time for not only DayZ, but ArmA as well. It hangs alot, too. Hopefully its fixed in Arma 3 and DayZ standalone.

You never saw a game with good graphics, did you?

The word "beautiful" doesn't mean "good looking" in the OP's case.

And ARMA 2 has pretty hideous graphics in today's gaming world.