Sign in to follow this  
charley-taylor@hotmail.co.uk

Any tips on how to keep a helcopter?

I found a heli and worked on fixing it up for around 3 hours hunting for parts avoiding bandits and zombies and constantly going back to check the chopper... I flew it around for about an hour and crashed it because a tree was a little too close to the blade. Insta blew up :S

But anyway when i was flying around i couldnt figure out where to hide it. I happen to know where a different heli is on the same server so was wondering some tips on keeping it longer than a day, i figured hiding it at skalisty island as my friend had his heli on that island for 4 days and it got found, but what other places are there to hide a chopper?

You want to place it somewhere only another Helicopter flying around could spot. I find dense forest area clearings decent for this, it may be a little obvious, but it's really the only place to stash one without someone on foot/in a car spotting it (there are also many areas like this on the map; high, surrounded by forest).

High Ground surrounded by trees, or at the end of a really long dusty road so it takes forever by car to get to it, I have a camp by bor for this reason

yeah my problem is landing it in dense forests, as the heli blades hit trees, if i find a little bird i could stash it pretty much anywhere in the woods but in a squad we tend to have a huey, i was looking for a specific spot its impossible to get taken from you but i doubt that

You'll probably lose one eventually, it's just the game. But high forests really are your best bet. I'm managing to land the large military (the one bigger than a huey) in a small clearing. The blades damn near touch the trees every-time I try to land, but if you just take it slow, and practice, you'd be surprised at where you can land the larger Heli's without damaging them.

Daryl Dixon, my favourite character from the TV series. Lol

Yeah i might hide my next heli way at the end of a dusty road where it will take forever to get too

Thanks for the compliment :)

At the end of the day it's a case of the last place you look. A new spawn will probably move in a N/NW direction in order to get to the NWAF. An experienced player may head east in order to set up a camp. The map is 25km 2 so I am sure that there is somewhere

I think it all depends on your server population. If you play on a high pop server, your chances of holding on to it long are slim. Your best option is to find a spot that's remote that's also not on a direct path between any two popular areas. If you can make some friends on your server who generally play at different times, then you can try to make sure that the chopper has round-the-clock guardians/users. Even if you can't find people you trust to take care of it 24/7, making it through your server's daylight cycle is the most important. Most server populations drop at night, plus anyone who doesn't have NVGs is going to have a hard time spotting your chopper parked somewhere anyways. You could also try shooting the windows out of it after you land it for the day, or at least try to park it with the fuel almost completely gone. This will make it more of a hassle for someone to steal. Just make sure that you have a tent setup within running distance where you can store a bunch of glass and full jerry cans, so that you can get the chopper up and running right away again next time you log in. You could also try surrounding your landing site with wire fencing kits. This won't keep out anyone with a toolbox of a vehicle, but a random player on foot who hasn't found a toolbox yet will have to put in extra leg-work to get to the chopper.

Do not hide it on skalisty island unless you enjoy swimming (I literally quit playing the Panthera map due to getting stuck out in the ocean), it might remain safe for awhile but eventually someone is going to check it out and you are left with swim back to the mainland. When I Helicopter hunt I look in clearings up North, so you pretty much have to come to the conclusion that someone will eventually jack your helicopter. I like to destroy the main rotor and log off with a spare in my pack, but even then I have had the Helicopter jacked while offline.

dont bother admins will check map and find it regardless in logs . have fun with it while you have it then desroy it

• Like 1

You cant hide it. The more time I been able to keep a choppa was about 3 days. I had numerous helis, been hiding them in really good places noone could find and almost everytime lost them in less than 6 hours. And in fact, if its prime time as soon as I leave the heli alone, it will disappear in 10 min. How is that? well, easy answer, hackers. An heli is like a candy for them, though they're all idiots and crash it in less than 5 min of stealing it.

I had a server for a while (not anymore), had acces to the server logs and it was always the same. My helicopter disappeared, check in logs, someone teleported to it not even 30 seconds after loggin into the server, steal it, crash it in less than a mile fly. Only once my heli got stolen by some legit player (at least some who doesn't teleported himself to it, but rather went running. If he had navigation hack... well, we will never know).

Edited by p4triot

dont bother admins will check map and find it regardless in logs . have fun with it while you have it then desroy it

exactly ... Black Hawk down in Cherno

put it in the middle of cherno on the main road, announce the entire server and say "DONT STEAL MY PERFECTLY WORKING HUEY IN THE CENTER OF CHERNO, ON THE 3RD ROAD TO THE LEFT OF THE HOTEL, IT ALSO HAS SOME AMAZING GUNS AND GEAR IN THE BACK, DON'T STEAL THAT ASWELL"

Don't hide helicopters. There's only one per server normally. If you hide it too well, you deprive other players of their endgame. Fix it, fly it, have fun with it and then leave it or destroy it. So someone else or you can find it fresh and do the same thing.

As everyone is saying, you can't hide it at least not for too long.

You basically have two options:

1. Hide it far off away from anything (See: 0,0,0)

-or-

2. Hide it out in the open but in a place nobody can reach. I've seen helis parked on top of castle towers, gas station canopy and misc buildings without roof access. While this is clever, just hope nobody disables/destroys the damn thing.

Edited by A Lumberjack

haha this is from two nights ago

we have two helis stole off admin :lol: shortly after we need to reboot server best land them helis boys :rolleyes:

we up near misty mountain so we drop down land one on that and one next peak. server reboots we load back in and one heli is gone :rolleyes: so i say to admin welldone he then teleported me to the other heli where he was on misty mountain :rolleyes: he basically had got rid of other teleported himself to ours on misty he had all best gear . he even said because his server was private hes allowed to teleport :lol:

make sure those logs and files are tied down for standalone or this crap just keeps happening. one of the biggest floors in dayz. give noone godlike powers ingame most will abuse.

it used to be f***ing impossible to hide them, since any other helicopter pilot and people getting into range would get the big white indicator for a few hundret meters of being near to a helicopter, now you can hide them pretty good in forrest areas, especially if the ground in that area has a dark color, since the huey itself is green-brownsh looking and actually pretty hard to spot on the ground

Get it up and running. Get enough to fix it again, when you land it take out the rotor or the glass. I do this with all vehicles and it works like a charm. Most of the time...

One option is to land it on top of a building in a town no one goes to. There is an industrial to the west of Zelenogorsk that you could land the chopper on. Of course someone could always blow it up but not everyone wants to waist the ammo, and some actually want to try and get the chopper. Someone on a private hive I play on did that and there chopper has been untouched for weeks. The only problem of course is that if you somehow die you aren't able to get to your chopper. But it makes for a great place to log off on and keep your chopper safe.