Sign in to follow this  
UnarmedCiv

Fishing (and rivers)

Fishing.. a slow and risky; but potentially profitable task.

Needed:

1. Line

2. Pole

3, Bait

a. bait fish, - use a net.

b. worms - use a shovel.

c. artificial lures.

4. Fish/crab traps.

a. craftable fishing dams

b. craftable crab traps.

Where to fish:

1. Shoreline

2. River <--- also needed!!!! High resources and logistics. Natural fighting area.

3. Swamp

4. ponds (least lucrative)

Risks:

1. Long stasis periods (ambushed while fishing)

2. Hypothermia?

3. Drowning? (pulled into water by large fish or boat sinking)

4. Infected Sushi

Edited by UnarmedCiv
  • Like 3

Been suggested many times before, (dont have a link but one topic in particualr was very well done that included fishing and hunting)

ON a slightly off topic note,

4. Infected Sushi

You just reminded me of a trailer I saw (and cant unsee) for a Japanese horror movie that played at last years Hawaii International Film Festival that involved Evil Sushi or some variation of that idea. I will NOT be providing a link or any further information on this movie (you can thank me for that if you wish)

A river sounds nice, only would use it for getting a drink though and would have to check upstream for dead bodies and stuff.

i guess in a real survival state this would be viable, would be nice to see.

A river sounds nice, only would use it for getting a drink though and would have to check upstream for dead bodies and stuff.

dont need to check upstream they will float downstream to you.. :)

dont need to check upstream they will float downstream to you.. :)

But what if the fishys eat the body then you eat the fishy?

You would be forever looking behind your back because the ocean is on the coast, unless you fish in a lake surrounded in the middle of a forest or something. Other than that you have a big target on your back.

But what if the fishys eat the body then you eat the fishy?

If you survived the initial outbreak of the infection, eating a fishy probably wouldn't affect you.

EDIT: The initial outbreak was the worst of it.

Edited by thegalakrondian

You would be forever looking behind your back because the ocean is on the coast, unless you fish in a lake surrounded in the middle of a forest or something. Other than that you have a big target on your back.

I don't fish but I'd be fishing in a boat, nobody wants those things because they're so loud and slow I guess but they would actually have a use if you can go fishing :D

Rivers would be kick-ass, there are some in TOH (the engine they're using) but those are just textures with a splash-sound attached to them, you just walk on them like Jesus.

I'd hope the new Chernarus has many rivers that make boats a viable option. Also I'd love to be able to shoot birds.

• Like 2

I'd hope the new Chernarus has many rivers that make boats a viable option. Also I'd love to be able to shoot birds.

Expanding hunting would be awesome in SA. I want to hear the criess of the animals as I unleash my inner rage and slaughter them all then sacrificing their genitals to Rocket!

But I think have consequences to the things you do should make the game interesting, this is a zombie apocalypse, not a safe fishing trip. If you go hunting, you should be at a higher risk of hostile contact. I think it makes the game more authentic, realistic, and fun.

Edited by thegalakrondian

The boat is slow as hell, at least the ones I found. Topspeed was about 20 km / h. That's not how speed is measured for boats I know but that's what the game tells me. It also makes alot of noise, not as loud as the Enfield but they could make it attract more zeds because there should certainly be a risk involved. Other players will definitely hear you coming, that's for sure.

3. Drowning? (pulled into water by large fish or boat sinking)

4. Infected Sushi

Zombie_Shark_by_cee4.jpg

If this is added in I am never going near the coast again!

Edited by harley001
  • Like 1

I would love to see river(s) and same with fishing.. i would love fishing in dayz so much more than in RL.. remember fishing in zelda: ocarina of time ? on N64.. THAT WAS DOPE even though that was in 98 ^_^

This has been suggested many times and im sure i can remember Rocket has mentioned this will be in SA,

Anyway

Drowning? (pulled into water by large fish or boat sinking)

Let someone who understand the subject speak of it.

I would love to see river(s) and same with fishing.. i would love fishing in dayz so much more than in RL.. remember fishing in zelda: ocarina of time ? on N64.. THAT WAS DOPE even though that was in 98 ^_^

Problem is people who dont know how it is to do fishing in a river IRL and make it in a game,

People mention lures,maggots and stuff.

You got these most common fishes in a river.

-Pike- Bites on anything and gets huge, Bad food.

-Salmon- Does only eat whilst in the ocean and only gets up the river to breed. (bites if annoyed). good food and gets huge

-Trout- Bites on the right bait at the right time of the year, meaning if a specific bug has just hatched the trout in that area will ONLY bite on a replica and nothing else. not even live maggots.Good food and can get big but not huge.

-Bass, Bites on anything, mostly shiny and small. good food but doesnt get too big.

-Grayling, bites on the same things as Bass. and gets a bit bigger.

Not to mention an outdated fishing line would never hold a fully grown salmon. Line will just snap.

Want immersion? dont implement fishing.

-Harr?