Sign in to follow this  
Maxgor

Realistic Map Use

I think with the idea of creating a HUD-less DayZ SA, that the map could be done with a better mechanic, much like with Far Cry 2.

https://thelure.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/far-cry-2.jpg

Your able to pull out the map and see where you are based on the section of the map available, maybe pressing map again would bring it up fullscreen so you can look at everything, but something like the picture shown would be better for the immediate area on the map, so you get at least a good few kilometers on that section of the quick use map. The compass or GPS could be in the other hand so you could figure out your direction. This would also change the use of the GPS/Watch/Compass, as when you press K, instead of pulling out a floating Compass, your hand would be holding it, and your watch would be worn on the bottom of the wrist, so you imagine your hand holding the compass out and you see the watch just fine. Bringing these out would also lower your weapon.

It basically just makes the map more functional on the go rather than pulling you into this out of game map menu all the time.

• Like 3

I love to be able to rotate the map as per direction I was looking.

I would not rely on a GPS, I tend to use the land and features.

Had the same idea then i saw this lol, yeah i think it would be good, make people be careful when using a map and let others know when they are looking at it.

I was thinking something like in Ultima where you can draw on the map. Mark and such, and make it only visible to you. But if someone takes your map, they see what you wrote.

• Like 1

I was thinking something like in Ultima where you can draw on the map. Mark and such, and make it only visible to you. But if someone takes your map, they see what you wrote.

Well that is basically there already isn't it? I think that could be put into this also. Having something you physically pull out would really add to the immersion and of Far Cry 2, it was probably one of the few good things they did with it lol

I remember suggesting this a while back, but for all items. Maps, compasses, hold up your wrist for your watch, better eating/drinking animations, all of these would be great. Oh, and no instant-NVGs. Have them take time to equip.

• Like 1

To be honest, not really a feature I'd want in DayZ. Love it in other games (Like in Far Cry as you suggested) but it doesn't really fit in Dayz. Maybe I've just grown to comfortable with the surrent map setup.

I remember suggesting this a while back, but for all items. Maps, compasses, hold up your wrist for your watch, better eating/drinking animations, all of these would be great. Oh, and no instant-NVGs. Have them take time to equip.

would prefer NVG's be on your head, thus no time needed, like this

http://www.kingsown.ca/NVG.jpg

To be honest, not really a feature I'd want in DayZ. Love it in other games (Like in Far Cry as you suggested) but it doesn't really fit in Dayz. Maybe I've just grown to comfortable with the surrent map setup.

I think it easily fits the direction they are pushing towards with the standalone. The current map setup is more like if you had a map that was built into a tablet what with the scrolling and such and being able to set waypoints, etc. If you have a problem with being too comfortable with what DayZ has, standalone will destroy you as they are changing every single thing in the game completely lol

Definitely agree that every usable item should have some sort of action should have a proper visual cue. That would be one way to keep people in first person more often if you had to actually look at your compass and map, not that I have a problem with third person and regularly use it.

I get your point but...

There is nothing realistic with a moving rotating icon / red dot on a paper map showing where you are.... Why there is only one type of map view is...have you ever tried to read a map on a computer screen if you zoom out to a certain level? All details disappear...

If people would try to get some basic map skills they wouldn't need other stuff because ArmA already gives us everything we need. Some might already have noticed that they already have acquired the skills without even reading about them just by beeing forced to play this way.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

I'd like your reasoning behind that bit explained.

@Enforcer - I don't think anybody's asking for a rotating location icon (or they shouldn't be anyway), that would be stupid.

I was talking about this in this topic the other day. The character physically holding the map to look at it would add a lot to immersion in the game world,

It's one thing that I didn't like about FarCry 3. They had an awesome system for the previous game, and they went back to menus for the 3rd one! Stupid move if you ask me.

If DayZ is going the way of "authenticity" and "immersion" this is definitely heading in the right direction.

@enforcer, i think we should forget the moving icon, it would be a jpg with nothing on it, pure realism and it doesnt rotate, and we would need to hold compass in the other hand

• Like 1

The GPS needs to be made better. Whoever played ACE and used the DAGR would agree that that would be a better navigation system than the current GPS which would be more like the mobile phone app as shown in the FC2 picture.

Yes, but they would still have to be pulled down over your eyes, Which does take time. That's what I meant.

I think the time it takes for them to light up would suffice for that, but really i dont care i rarely find any so it wouldnt effect me lol

There is always going to be people saying 'dont improve the game, i like it how it is' you see this kind of view in every progressing game, i dont understand these people.

I certainly don't get those that don't want change cause they are comfortable with a certain way, especially when its already guaranteed that standalone will share almost nothing with the mod. Rocket said that almost nothing is coming from the mod, its all being redesigned. With that, they should go all out, especially when the purpose of the mod is to try and make everything very intuitive and realistic, no HUD, less menus, stuff like that. Its the much better way to go for the game.

It's neat and all but kind of pointless in my opinion. It would add to immersion but trying to read a topographical map in a view like that would be damn near impossible. I always assumed the level of zoom given to us in the game was due to not having some ridiculous map folding animation. All the way zoomed in would be the actual detail of the map. Zooming out just represents us selecting a different page or section of the map. :)

That said, I would like to see a variety of maps with different levels of detail. A simple roadmap wouldn't offer the same level of detail a topographical map would and depending on it's date, might not be all that accurate either. A touristy map would also blow if that's all you had in this setting but it would be better than nothing.

• Like 2