Sign in to follow this  
sam3d

DayZ Standalone and Helicopters

I red DayZ Standalone will use the Take on Helicopters Engine.

Does this also count for the flightdynamics ?

Because flying a Heli in Take on Helicopters is extremly difficult compared to Arma.

I also would like to suggest a Heli practice mode.

Now we can just do it in Arma single player. But it maybe very frustrating for new players

who find their first Heli without any experience... it will end in a ball of fire in 99% of all cases :)

• Like 2

I hope it is as hard as toh, would make for some skilled players and would be highly valued players.

I would like to see this very much but if you want to learn to fly go try toh worth it and a sense of achievement also when you learn.

Make heli flight 1st person only also for obvious reasons.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

Is take on helicopters hard? I saw the trailer on the steam page looks easy, but i'm pretty competent that i'm going to end up in ball of flames as the op foresaw.

I for my part have no problem with the takeon helicopters flightdynamics :)

And yes there should be a learning curve. I just think, if they use the helicopter flightdynamics

and procedure from Take on they should include a tutorial or practice mission for people who

don´t own take on. If you don´t have it you´d be basically completly lost and most people probably would ruin

their engines before even taking off.

But my primary question is.. does they use the Heli flightdynamics/procedures from take on ?

• Like 1

I for my part have no problem with the takeon helicopters flightdynamics :)

And yes there should be a learning curve. I just think, if they use the helicopter flightdynamics

and procedure from Take on they should include a tutorial or practice mission for people who

don´t own take on. If you don´t have it you´d be basically completly lost and most people probably would ruin

their engines before even taking off.

But my primary question is.. does they use the Heli flightdynamics/procedures from take on ?

I questioned whether they were even using the TOH engine a week or so ago, and there isn't even a confirmed word. Matt said in an interview awhile ago that it's on the cards, but it's not confirmed. It's the least of their worry's.

I'd also take a guess and say that they will not use the flight procedures from TOH. In DayZ, on a populated server, you'll be lucky if you get to fly a helicopter more than once a month. There's no point putting a huge learning curve into something that happens very rarely.

I red DayZ Standalone will use the Take on Helicopters Engine.

Does this also count for the flightdynamics ?

According to what Rocket has said; yes.

I also would like to suggest a Heli practice mode.

Now we can just do it in Arma single player. But it maybe very frustrating for new players

who find their first Heli without any experience... it will end in a ball of fire in 99% of all cases :)

GOOD.

You learn it the hard way, or the no-way.

After SA comes out and people can host it on their own private servers, Players will no doubt join servers with 100 vehicle servers and probably have 10 choppers on also (Amongst other aircraft)

the harder the learning curve the better.

I wish it is if not that, quite harder than it currently is in DayZ (Q, WASD and you're done...)

If we're talking about a "Life simulator" where you drink, eat, catch a cold and so on, I believe that flying a helicopter SHOULD and MUST be somewhat hard

Though is is true that simply operating a helicopter in ArmA is relatively easy, operating it well is not. Flying low and using the terrain for cover, doing quick pickup and drop offs in areas with heavy resistance, and generally doing the job without the aid of auto-hover is already quite difficult. Take a look at how most people fly, auto-hover straight up and down, fly forward in a straight line. These guys are easy to shoot out of the pilot seat as they are often foolish enough to be still enough to let this happen.

Honestly, just removing the ability to auto hover would get the vast majority of unskilled pilots out of the air in one swipe. Perhaps this is something that could be looked at as an addition to an upcoming patch? The removal of auto-hover. It might slant things a little in favor of joystick owners, but I have met some fairly skilled mouse pilots back in the BF1942 Desert Combat days.