Sign in to follow this  
Waymooter

Dayz standalone world wide

Dunno if this idea is out there no do I know the technical specs of how to pull it off but this would be my pipe dream for dayz standalone.

Make dayz standalone a world wide map. Have several servers linked together running maps based on the real life various regions of the world. Travel to the boarder of whatever country you are in and you load screen till you show up on the boarder of the neighboring country on a different server running that country. Using google maps areas could be developed based on the real world areas, cities, and countries. Cities wouldn't have to be entirely accurate as far as buildings, but a few major landmarks in big cities would tie it in nicely.

Start with the Russian states since that's what we got going now, add in Asia and Europe next, then do up the United States, Canada and so on and so forth. When you get enough major areas of the world tied in together make new spawn players enter a mailing address and spawn them in their real life areas around the world to meet up with local friends, fight local bandits, develop regional fiefdoms, or travel the globe in search of a safe place.

Just think it would be awesome. Any thoughts?

• Like 3

It would be a bit hard to play with other people around the globe, 8 hour chopper ride no thanks xD

But not a bad day either...much to hard to do at this point in time though.

That would take a ridiculous amount of work from possibly hundreds of people over several years, although it would be totally awesome if it was made.

first off, it would be incredibly dull trying finding people in an area of 500million km2. It would be impossible in any way, shape or form...

I think a lot of people underestimate the time it takes to make a single map... Try map editing on any game and you will realize how impossible this idea is.

Chernaurus is based on a region of the world. but what your talking about...would be cool to see and play...but its a bit big, Thats a lot of things devs will have to design not to mention, loot spawning, zombies, weather. Its just too big.

It might take a bit for a player in a remote area with few locals playing to reach an area with a high concentration of people yes but nothing says you would have to be tied into your actual zip code or mailing area. You could always enter one wherever it is you wanted to start at.

I could see the fun in major clans from Europe and the United States taking heli flights to battle it out though. Lets invade England or lets raid Washington haha. Wouldn't have to make the flight across the oceans real time. Fly for 5 to 10 min out till ya hit the magic line then load in 5 min out from the coast of intended country

Like I said not saying its entirely possible or technically sound but its my pipe dream. Haha. And I think best approach would be let the dayz dev team handle the major areas with huge player base and let private server renters or owners do smaller regions. Don't know if I said that right but basically let the community itself help by tying servers into the world map.

Technically possible? Dunno. Just a thought. And yes it would take a long time to pull it off but what the heck. Why not let the beast grow.

and what if people with bad ping join the server or even worse HACKERS join in

forget it, its a nice dream but its far beyong enjoyable if u ask me.

imagine urself being next to your broke car and all other cars are broken and u have to walk 3 hours to get to a city...

how many people will get angry and frustrated.

a game should be fun and with a map that big the fun will be taken away from it as soon as u sit with no food no drinks and no transport.

A great game was made even better by a guy who had a vision and made a mod. Now look where it went. Carrying on this tradition by letting the gifted members of this community add regional maps to a huge network until such a time as when it infected the entire globe just makes sense to me haha. Of course any newly mapped region would have to be sent to and approved by dayz staff and tested before implementation. The World Wide Web was at one time too big to comprehend too. Now look at it. Just takes time.

Do you guys even think before suggesting shit like that ?

It's just impossible.

Yes and flying was impossible at one time too, so was the ability to sit here and type to you at 3am and read replays in real time. I'm sure the entire world would never be done, but the idea of tying in regions and allowing travel between the regions threw a network of servers is not impossible. Only regions that people gave scrap about would ever be done and these areas would be the major player base areas. A hacker could only hit one region on one server at a time. I doubt it would ever made but its fun to dream about something like it.

i don't think you'd have to make the regions 1-to-1 in scale. Just make reasonably chernarus sized maps for all the countries, or regions of countries. So most every European country could be likened to one or two maps about the size of chernarus. If you look at cherno and elektro, they look nothing like real cities, they're much too small with disproportionate densities. I live outside a measily 2,500 pop. city, and it's sprawed across a half of the equivalent chernarus map. So think of the maps just being condensed relations to their real world counterparts.

For instance, a smaller european nation like Latvia would only really need one map, then with larger ones, like Italy could be separated into many maps based around regions and major citys such as: Venice, Alpine north, Milan, Genoa, Tuscany, Florence, Rome (which could be separated more depending on popularity and stuff), all the way down to Sicily and Sardinia.

Although some places could be done 1-to-1 in scale, and be amazing, such as Monaco, that would be an amazing real-life map to be in, just saying.

Everybody is criticizing this guy's idea without thinking on how it's spirit could be achieved. I LOVE THIS IDEA, i just sure wish i had the time and experience to make a local map for this future endeavor.

My beans are yours

Yes I think it would become ginormous but at a pace which would be sustainable. Slowly add more regions to the network at a pace only as fast as people want to make maps of areas to submit to the dayz people and at a pace the dayz people feel like releasing them. It's really not much different than what is going on now. Oh look new map is out, lets check it out! They would just be new maps of new real life regions tied together threw server interface that you could travel to in game.

we had this suggested before, many times actually I had to scroll through the thread to see if I had already posted.

A map of this scale would be very impossible. though I would love to see a huge map, the world is too big.

I used to make maps for a certain game, made terrain, altered weather, put onto map buildings and other features, It could take me months for a small town on the map, then I had to change things regularly based on mission playthrough. Coming across a failed script command and having to re-read wac scripts was a daily occurance.

I was working with a friend, although he was artistic director I was the bugger doing the work.

In short, Making a map, one that will fit DayZ will be hard in itself, and you want to make the world? Start small, work your way up towards what the engine can handle.

Thank you scawtyg someone understood what I was saying. Yes they wouldn't have to be to exact scale. Like I said earlier. Just let the beast grow. More maps and area to go equals win in my book and adds to the realism of the game to be able to roam across the maps of real world countries.

and plus, purely wilderness maps, with more hunting and camp building elements would be a welcome change from scavenging everything (i want to get food from somewhere other than a pile of ssshhcrap in a random house).

People say america is overdone with zombie apocalypse stuff....I say Cities are overdone any-pocalypse. Get some forests and bears and wolves mixed in with wilder, more fierce zombies that work in packs...(redneck zombies, i'd love to shoot those all day)...i like that idea. Damn i wish i knew how to do that ssshhtuff.

i don't know, but teach me how to make maps and all the coding and everything, and i'd definitely be one of the first to push this dream into reality

Right now you hop on the mod and see multiple different maps to choose from, none are linked together, each one you have to make a new toon for. I'm just suggesting linking maps and I hate to use the term server hop but that's essentially what would happen when you ran past the border of the country you were currently in. Then it would place you on another server threw a short loading screen that was running the region you just "zoned" into. And anyone else within a 100 meter area around you would be on the same server running the new map as well to allow groups to not be split up as they zoned out together. It would suck for two guys to zone out together and spawn in on same map but one guy is on eu23 and the other guy is on eu30 of whatever map it was.

And no not one big map but instead several manageable maps handled on several servers that are linked to form the whole. There would be load times between boarders I'm sure but I would be ok with that personally. For instance with what is out there now for maps lets jus say I hop in a boat and cruise it south off the cheranus coast and in 5 min I hit a loading screen. Then I cruise 5 min south and end up on the northern coast of lingor. Just an illustration of what I mean. But with managble scaled maps of real world countries.

Mzltv. That's kind of the idea but not exactly to that meticulous extent. Like previously stated by another poster no one wants to run for 2 hours to reach the nearest city from where they run outa gas. So not to scale to real world areas. Cheranus sized maps give or take of regions. But yes the feel of continuity between maps is what I'm getting at. If I travel to a boarder the world doesn't stop, it just takes me to the next map on a different server, well at least it does till I hit the extent of what happened to be currently available at the time of me playing this dream.