timbooo

Making notes on the map

Hey I have searched the forum for about 15 minutes and read some interesting things but not found an answer to my question.

Having written lots of little notes on the map (double click, annotate a circle) I was pretty annoyed that the next time I logged on they were all gone. Does this happen on server restarts? Doesn't it annoy anyone else? Can it be fixed?

They should remove the option to mark things on the map at all, because little kids always draw dicks or something else irrelevant.

http://dayzmod.com/f...veryone-see-it/

The visibility of a marker to other players depends what chat channel you are in when you place it, at least in Arma. So if you place it in side chat people on your side can see it, which in DayZ is everyone. If you want to place markers or your own reference use the vehicle channel, as you are not in a vehicle noone will be able to see them but you.

You learn something new every day, never heard of that one.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25
  • Like 1

My beans are yours sir. I'll try ths out, wonder if they'll appear and disappear as I cycle through the channels...

It's best not to mark the map in the first place imo as other can see it, but as for your question I believe it's tied to the server and not your map, and other players can delete your marks. Best advice, just write down or type the coordinates of what you'd like to mark.

• Like 1

Lol I use this to bait people in. For example ill write on the map Car here needs fuel and 1 wheel. I will then wait until someone comes to check it out. If a bandit turns up ill kill them. If a survivor turns up. It depends what gun they have.

Chat channels don't seem to make a jot of difference. So everyone can see everyone's map markers, really? I better stop if that really is true... :s

If it is somehow linked to the channels, would it perhaps mean no-one can see them on a server with no side chat?

• Like 1

No, even when every server had side-chat disabled you could see every players markers/notes.

Edited by smasht_AU

Ok understood thanks chaps. It's a shame, it's kinda handy. Does anyone agree that it would be better if marking the map that's in your inventory didn't magically generate ink marks on the maps in all the people in the world's inventories?

Don't write notes or marks on the map unless you want everyone to see them. Consider them temporary, they don't last after server restarts.