Sign in to follow this  
MrSliff

Too hard since 1.7.5.1

But i don't want a buddy...

It isn't impossible to solo matter of fact i find it simple enough... Dayz is always better with team m8s though at least thats my opinion...

I think the zeds need to go in an entirely different direction. It needs to feel more like a zobie infestation. Zeds should be EVERYWHERE and number in the hundreds all over the map, even the wooded areas and inside buildings. Keep them slow to medium speed and fix the aggro and investigation AI. I'm sick of sitting on top of hills 500m away, firing my SVD, and seeing the ENTIRE town of Olympic sprinting zeds heading DIRECTLY for my position. I'd much rather scout a town, plan my entrance and exit strategy, carefully kill the zeds that get in my way with my limited resources and ammo, then get out before I'm swarmed or overrun.

• Like 2

agreed

Zeds need to investigate gunshots and noises, not blindly chase them.

That, or they should run to it, but the sound, so if you move and they don't see you, they don't find you. This happens "sometimes", where I have been able to get away from the area of the noise and avoid detection, but more often than not, they know where "I" am instead of where the sound came from before they can even see the place.

Beans.

Where's the guy you're agreeing to's post? Beans there too.

Edited by McCullins

Zombies......Investigate.................those two just dont seem to make sense in my books. Id say thats more of a term used by rocket to describe the actions of an infected following detection or a loud noise.

If this were a real scenario i WOULD expect one to, in your own words, blindly chase that sound until it finds the source. For example, my dog will only fetch a ball for me if its one of those squeeky dog toys.

When i throw it, he knows exactly what it is, but not where it is, and will literally tear up the garden till it finds it (or i find it for him). This could relate to zombie agro. The zombie has heard many a gunshot in the past,

and now recognizes this as food. Upon hearing those shots it should be utterly relentless at finding the source of those shots. Exception being that the guy firing has escaped.

I firmly believe that the harder the better with dayz. It will eventually force people into larger groups, be those survivor or bandit groups, the game will benefit from difficulty hugely in my opinion

I think the zeds need to go in an entirely different direction. It needs to feel more like a zobie infestation. Zeds should be EVERYWHERE and number in the hundreds all over the map, even the wooded areas and inside buildings. Keep them slow to medium speed and fix the aggro and investigation AI. I'm sick of sitting on top of hills 500m away, firing my SVD, and seeing the ENTIRE town of Olympic sprinting zeds heading DIRECTLY for my position. I'd much rather scout a town, plan my entrance and exit strategy, carefully kill the zeds that get in my way with my limited resources and ammo, then get out before I'm swarmed or overrun.

Dude in reality, if you fired an svd anyone within a one mile radius is going to hear that, and know which general direction it came from. Although decayed, its not going to take a genius zombie to figure out that a hell of a load bang came from that hill top.

IMO one of the root problems is inherent to the game (mod) engine: zombie movement is just unreal. If we had realistically smooth movement, no matter how fast and unpredictable, we'd have a much better playing field with guns. The zombies could aggro as they do now and we could have even larger herds, but we could actually shoot them down properly. And the bottom line result is that the game becomes more about genuine stealth and zombie herding rather than glitch management. We could have much larger zombie herds because the effective margin of gunnery skill (ie gameplay) would be much larger. Not necessarily slower gameplay (I'd rather not personally), but simply more shades of grey in between the extremes of gameplay actions and consequences.

This is the same dynamic as leaving "story" up to players instead of walling them in to narrow gameplay parameters via storyline events and scripted NPCs etc.

Edited by Hermes
  • Like 1

IMO one of the root problems is inherent to the game (mod) engine: zombie movement is just unreal. If we had realistically smooth movement, no matter how fast and unpredictable, we'd have a much better playing field with guns. The zombies could aggro as they do now and we could have even larger herds, but we could actually shoot them down properly. And the bottom line result is that the game becomes more about genuine stealth and zombie herding rather than glitch management. We could have much larger zombie herds because the effective margin of gunnery skill (ie gameplay) would be much larger. Not necessarily slower gameplay (I'd rather not personally), but simply more shades of grey in between the extremes of gameplay actions and consequences.

This is the same dynamic as leaving "story" up to players instead of walling them in to narrow gameplay parameters via storyline events and scripted NPCs etc.

I think everyone has a pretty equal understanding of how the zombies should be, Rocket just hasn't achieved that in-game yet. I have seen some screenshots of the standalone... The zombies actually look like people now they seem to have different hairstyles, variable clothing, and if they put that ammount of detail into the sculpts and models of the zombies then I am pretty damn sure they will work with better AI and be able to be herded so-to-speak If they achieve the zombie effect that you mention man I will never stop playing the standalone. It will give survivors a new reason to not shoot eachother =p -Jeremiah- BTW I'm all for shooting everyone just enjoy team play and environmental dynamics as well.

Sorry to all that support this theory that Zed's can locate a solo gun shot "anywhere". Everyone that claims they want realism, I agree to an extent. But I have been around guns all my life, been hunting all over the US and Canada. Im not bragging, im saying I have a bit of exp with alot of firearms. I could be in almost any location on this map, and with only one shot, "NO ONE" could locate me this way. In a mountain area that has multiple ridges, you couldnt find me if I shot 3 times. But Groover and many more have made the correct assesment. Zombies should investigate those sounds, not agroooo right on top of them.

Sorry to all that support this theory that Zed's can locate a solo gun shot "anywhere". Everyone that claims they want realism, I agree to an extent. But I have been around guns all my life, been hunting all over the US and Canada. Im not bragging, im saying I have a bit of exp with alot of firearms. I could be in almost any location on this map, and with only one shot, "NO ONE" could locate me this way. In a mountain area that has multiple ridges, you couldnt find me if I shot 3 times. But Groover and many more have made the correct assesment. Zombies should investigate those sounds, not agroooo right on top of them.

I think we all agree that if the standalone presents a more realistic AI system for the zombies we will be set. Really all they gotta look at is the walking dead series as a template for how zombies should act right? Anyways i think if you fire a gun the zombies should slowly make way to the location of the sound maybe theyll be alerted to a radius of 20meters around the location the firearm was fired... That way if you fire/move fire/move then you could at least have a strategy that makes logical sense. Right now it's fire fire fire fire fire... Get the fuck out run through somebuildings and crouch... lmao...