Sign in to follow this  
cheebusal

What exactly is different about the zombies in the new patch?

Hey guys, I haven't been able to play DayZ since the new patch, so I was just wondering what exactly is different about the zombies? I have heard a lot of people say they don't like the new zombies.

I have read the patch information about what all is different, but I want to get some personal opinions on the new zombies.

Thanks!

I think they can run inside buildings now.....

Can anyone confirm? Just ran through a barn (2 story type) to lose zombies and they kept right on sprinting after me.

Hey guys, I haven't been able to play DayZ since the new patch, so I was just wondering what exactly is different about the zombies? I have heard a lot of people say they don't like the new zombies.

I have read the patch information about what all is different, but I want to get some personal opinions on the new zombies.

Thanks!

fixed thier hearing and sight witch now causes them to pul every zombie within range. they hit harder and can now hit you while in a vehicle. oh they are buggy as hell again walking through walls like they used too. if you shoot any type of loud gun you will be over ran by 50+zombie in seconds. Gun fire is triggering more to spawn. its a total mess they are way out of controll. the zombies did not need to be fixed the ones doing the mod over thought it.

Edited by stinkybird

I disagree, I'm LOVING the new Zed changes, if you want to play pure PVP I can recommend CoD or CSGO.

I must admit though, zeds walking through walls is a little obnoxious but other than that everything's wonderful. Keep up the good work!

Edited by CamP
  • Like 5

As I enter any of the large cities I can now pull zombies from 300+ distance away. Shooting any one zombie brings 10x that many down on you. Being in a 3 story building, kneeling you can draw aggro from the street by not doing anything, the most recent annoyance was when I tried to log in while I was on top of a 3 story building I was instantly aggro'd from the street and they came up all the stairs, climbed the ladder.

Their awareness is the most annoying part about them now, I can put up with their damage and walking in buildings but dead or infected or whatever the dev's are justifying it as , the zombie awareness is ruining this game for me. I have not played in 2 days cause its no fun, 2 of my friends who I have been telling about this game quit after less then an hour cause there was no fun, it was straight work. It's harder to lose them in the bushes but I can accept that as it was tweaked just a little and the zombies super hearing and super sight can still be fooled by bushes with a little more effort.

Water boiling as much as we have to now, the stupid cough, having to store all the damned anti-biotics and morphine and the annoying tin cans in my pack, in our way too small packs has just about driven me nuts. I play games for fun , not stress and work. I get enough of that at work.

I want to play today but as I think of all the annoyances I just can't bring myself to do it. I now have ZERO interest in the single player version This latest patch is going down in my personal history as the 2nd worst game killing patch ever.....just one under StarWars Galaxies :CU

Damn, these posts don't sound good. I'm definitely aching to play as soon as I can, but I am a little worried about it now.

[...]I have not played in 2 days cause its no fun[...]

Same here, I keep working on a few models in my illusion that anybody will give a crap waiting for the hotfix to be released.

It's not nearly as bad as SWG:CU though, we've spent 7 years working on getting back from that mistake and it's still not finished. This here problem? Already fixed, just not released (for whatever reason).

Edited by Elvaron

Didn't have any problems with that, but exactly the opposite. I like that the zeds are aware of more things now, but you still can get around them if you're careful enough. Before they weren't really a threat to survivors, now they actually can be.

Didn't have any problems with that, but exactly the opposite. I like that the zeds are aware of more things now, but you still can get around them if you're careful enough. Before they weren't really a threat to survivors, now they actually can be.

Can they run inside buildings?

I dont know if its just me, but since the patch they haven't seemed to be running in zig zags as much? What ever it is im really enjoying the new patch :D

Well they react to sounds more aggressively and can be aggroed from great distances. It's the normal "feature" from the start that they zigzag a lot which makes aiming very difficult. I haven't seen them running inside (barn, residential house etc).

It's good to know zombies are a danger now, but I doubt this mod can ever get rid of bugs which makes them even more dangerous that what they are. Whining about other difficulty than bugs - hey, Dead Island and Left 4 Dead is there for you.

• Like 1

I can see why you'd be upset if you've aggro'd zeds from 3 stories up in a building. Probably one of the rare annoyances I get from this game now. However when I'm going into a town, I expect to be in those situations, so I'm well prepared for it.

I feel a lot of these players who are complaining have been too careless in the past. They're focusing more on the PVP aspect rather than both PVP and Zeds. Start sneaking around, avoiding zombies, being prepared. That's what this game's about. If you want your PVP without the annoyance of Zeds, BF3 has fairly large maps, or Planetside 2. Go try them out.

Sure, Zeds need a little tweaking, but after playing for the last two days I've adapted to the changes and still find this game fun, if not more so.

Edited by CamP
  • Like 1

I can see why you'd be upset if you've aggro'd zeds from 3 stories up in a building. Probably one of the rare annoyances I get from this game now. However when I'm going into a town, I expect to be in those situations, so I'm well prepared for it.

Prepared how? You just spawned, you have nothing in your inventory. How are you prepared? By accepting inevitable death?

At the moment, it's sort of like the beginning of a round of hunger games, you run into the center and hope you can grab any weapon before being killed, then run back into the woods.

Just because you've aggro'd zeds doesn't mean you're automatically dead, run into a building, prone, hide... I've done this many times and has worked fairly well.

I still struggle to understand what is the fuss about with zombies, nothing has changed i go trough towns loot get out and dont die from zombies, nothing has changed besides their hearing but i only shoot zombies as last resort since ever so i really dont get any problems with them.

Can they run inside buildings?

Zombies cannot run inside buildings, but they can run inside hangars.

Another update with the zombies is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to sneak up on them like you used to be able to. They are now capable of smelling you within 2-5m, as opposed to being able to walk circles around them when your hearing and visibility was zero. This makes it extremely difficult to use a hatchet as anything other than a last-resort weapon.

It kind of sucks, but it actually gives the zombies an edge over the humans, as opposed to the update previous where they were just jokes to good survivors.

I have mixed feelings.

The zombies really needed to be made a lot more dangerous, which they are. The problem is that the game doesn't allow you to deal with them. The axe still has to be in your main weapon slot and still doesn't hit very reliably. They still glitch all over the place, they get aggro'd from impossible distances and if you do shoot one then from that point on you're running. You can lose them if you get far enough away, but you have to run so much that the chance of pulling more aggro is very high. I wouldn't mind being chased by a horde if I had at least had a chance of sneaking by them. Also don't even think about gutting an animal within 200 yards of a zombie.

I think a big problem for a lot of people is the change in play style that has to come from zombies that kill you much more easily. Although Rocket hasn't categorically stated it, I do think he see's DayZ more as PVE than PVP. If people play with the same mindset as they always have done(that being to gear up and look to for other players to fight) then they're not going to like DayZ. You have to survive the environment. If the zombies are killing you, then you're not very good at the game. Maybe time to stop killing on sight?? ;) :P

The zombies still need a lot of refining. I'd like to be able to form some plan to deal with them, but at the moment their behaviour feels very random. As someone else mentioned about being three stories up and crouched and pull aggro, you can also still sprint past them and they somehow don't notice you.

To counter the high aggro there needs to be more stealthier ways to dispatch them. I've used the crossbow more than ever before, but those bolts run out very quickly. I'm hoping for a proper melee weapon that isn't an axe, or at least a method of holding an axe and shouldering your main weapon.

Although there are still problems, its a step in the right direction.

They are now capable of smelling you within 2-5m, as opposed to being able to walk circles around them when your hearing and visibility was zero.

Hhmm...

I think they got it right, for the 1st time in 6 months I was killed by Zombies last night.

• Like 1

I killed a animal with a silenced weapon about 20m from the stary military tents, gutted it and aggro'd about 10 zombies (it was dark too) then i swiftly died from some guy in a bush with a m14 aim.

I killed a animal with a silenced weapon about 20m from the stary military tents, gutted it and aggro'd about 10 zombies (it was dark too) then i swiftly died from some guy in a bush with a m14 aim.

To go off of what you said, I gutted a rabbit inside of Stary Sobor...BAD IDEA!! Every zombie from a 100m radius came SPRINTING my direction, and to make it worse, I couldn't back out of the gutting sequence, so all I could do was sit there and watch as each of them took turns slapping me in the face with their dicks! (kind of graphic, but that's what it felt like)

I was easily reduced from full health to below half in a matter of seconds!

Thank GOD I didn't fall unconscious or break a bone, otherwise I may have just rage quit the game forever if that happened.

However, there was nobody nearby to watch my foolish move, so I just ran away and forgot that it ever happened.

• Like 1