Sign in to follow this  
Termin@tor

Would buyng a extra 4GB of ram increase my FPS?

The title says all, first of all thank you for reading this topic and if you are going to answer my little problem.

Here are my PC SPECS:

DXDIAG:

Time of this report: 2/9/2013, 14:35:01
Machine name: ALEXANDER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Language: Romanian (Regional Setting: Romanian)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite L550
BIOS: Phoenix SecureCore Version 2.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3958MB RAM
Page File: 3485MB used, 4428MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Driver:

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9480)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9480&SUBSYS_FF821179&REV_00
Display Memory: 2739 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1017 MB
Shared Memory: 1722 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: AUO109E
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: Internal

So would adding 4GB more of ram increase my FPS? I'm getting 10-15 FPS on public servers, and 25-30 on private hive.

and if yes, how big is the FPS increase?

Edited by Termin@tor

I don't know very much about it, but I do have a decent pc, with i7 870 and a GTX 560 Ti.

The problem for me when playing dayZ was the ram aswell, only had 4GB DDR3 with Win 7 64-bit and had ~15 fps in towns and maybe ~20 outside...

Then I bought 8GB of ram and I now have NO PROBLEM whats so ever, I'm running around with 80+ fps both in and out of towns.

Hope this helped a bit.

-todo

ArmA II is a VERY CPU intensive game, 4GB of ram is fine for what you have but if you want a decent increase for DayZ/ArmA id recommend stepping up to a i5 (i run a i5 2500k)

I don't know very much about it, but I do have a decent pc, with i7 870 and a GTX 560 Ti.

The problem for me when playing dayZ was the ram aswell, only had 4GB DDR3 with Win 7 64-bit and had ~15 fps in towns and maybe ~20 outside...

Then I bought 8GB of ram and I now have NO PROBLEM whats so ever, I'm running around with 80+ fps both in and out of towns.

Hope this helped a bit.

-todo

80 fps in towns with a 560ti are you for real? I have dual 680's and even I strugle to get 40fps in elektro.....

• Like 3

80 fps in towns with a 560ti are you for real? I have dual 680's and even I strugle to get 40fps in elektro.....

Seriously? But yes, I do have 80+ fps pretty much all the time, unless I have something big running in the background, but I am only playing on private hives restarting every 3 hours though, I don't know if that makes any difference but probably do?!

A 4650 and an i3 330? Those are like Wii U Specs imo, but upgrading might make you a difference; regardless, you are going to have more storage capabilities anyhow.

What have you got to lose about from fifty dollars? Go for it!

Seriously? But yes, I do have 80+ fps pretty much all the time, unless I have something big running in the background, but I am only playing on private hives restarting every 3 hours though, I don't know if that makes any difference but probably do?!

Yes, seriously. And, my own private hive restarts every 3 hours so it is not server related.

My CPU is a 3930k so I know I dont have a CPU bottleneck, or any other bottleneck tbh, lol

What are your graphic settings? I might have to try them out! :D

Edited by -Panda

Yes increasing your RAM will help...

... but playing on a PC rather than a laptop will help a lot more :P

Edited by -Panda

Type in DirectX diag in the search box in the start menu on your computer and run that, then post that stuff here. That text hurts my eyes, and it doesn't have all the info I need.

Logical answer is no because arma does not use much ram to begin with however some crazy things can happen, but the best solution is to invest in a dedicated gaming PC/laptop (the desktop will be cheaper) to have a satisfactory experience.