Sign in to follow this  
BannedOpinion

Why do YOU love DayZ?

I'm sure there has been this kind of thread before, but sod it. Let's make a thread of our own personal reasons as to why we love this mod.

Rules:

1) NO MOANING, whether that be about glitches, engine problems, hackers, bandits or whatever. Make your own thread about moaning.

2) No essays, let's keep this minimal. A paragraph isn't bad, but essays become TL;DR.

3) Give me your beans, just do it. No questions asked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reason(s)

1) This mod has tapped into everyone's Zombie Apocalyptic dream; a free-for-all, no rules with unlimited amount of scenarios. Name me one game that has done this before?

2) The mod is free (this is not including the standalone, which is considerably cheap anyway). All you had to do was purchase ArmA: OA then download the free. (I personally love the ArmA series, so have ArmA:CO) I didn't really play ArmA before DayZ, but having spent £25 on the combined operations, I gave the game a shot. And I love it, so you're getting 3 games in one package with continuous support from BIS and the community. Top stuff!

3) DayZ is BRUTAL, I have never found a game in which I have been apprehensive about meeting other players. I personally feel an attachment to my loot, I worked for that stuff. The idea of knowing I could be killed any moment for my stuff is both exciting and nerve-racking. You really have to make decisions.

4) The standalone version is looking good, and I for one am glad Rocket et al have decided to delay release to ensure the end product is as polished as possible. The video they just released was awesome, I cannot wait for it. All this has paid off, and the franchise can only get bigger.

5) Expect the unexpected, I often come across scenarios I'd be surprised. I made a thread a few weeks ago about me needlessly killing a survivor then facing the consequences of having a group of survivors teaming up to kill me. They did not rage, or complain. Instead, they formulated a plot to find me then kill me.

What's your reasons, DayZers

Edited by YouCanRun

It reminds me of the old zombie films where you had to survive, You and a world of hurt. I can relate to what i would do and DayZ offers me a way to do it.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

The thrill of scavenging, not knowing what you'll find, the survival aspects. IHope much more of these elements are added in SA

Always wanted a game where it was your chance to survive the zombie apocalypse, like in the movies/TV shows. Wanted ultra-realism, ArmA is about as real as it can get without being ridiculous these days. All in all, pretty happy. Just wish DayZ was about 20 times harder and that the map was bigger.

I'm a psychopath who collects human fingers to make jewelry and this allows me to live out my fantasy.. hehe

1) It's not piss easy,and you dont start with a weapon

2) That feeling you get when you think someone is watching or nearby

3)That feeling i had when some guy busted in on me trying to hump the fire to keep warm, i had abit of a spasm in absolute terror and shot him about 8 times and he disappeared (ALT F4'd) 0_o

I was a big fan of Operation Flashpoint back in the day, but I loved the engine more than the game. The wide open spaces and non-linear gameplay deserved better than the stock missions. Armed Assault was a bit rubbish but ArmAII was great fun, and DayZ is essentially multi-player OpF/ArmAII with zombies and a survive aspect, so what's not to like?

What do I love about it? Primarily the freedom of motion. It's not like STALKER, for example, where the atmosphere is broken by the tiny maps. I remember feeling disappointed when I realised that each map in STALKER was essentially one or two large buildings in a field rather than the huge open sandbox I was expecting.

There's the fact you can, if you choose, approach the target from any direction; you can use guile, or you can use superior resources if you have them. There's the sense that if you die it's your own stupid fault - which is ruined a bit by the bugs and hackers, but generally when I die in DayZ it's because I got cocky, not because the game rolled a set of bad luck dice or the enemy had a superior set of armour etc. In DayZ it doesn't matter if you're tooled out with lots of equipment, one Lee Enfield shot to the head and you're dead. Unlike e.g. Eve the combat is actually combat and not just dice-rolling.

The atmosphere is scary, although STALKER beats it in that respect. It would be great if the two franchises could merge - DayZ' enormous map plus the anomalies and ghostly air of STALKER would be awesome. There's the tension of realising that you didn't have food in your backpack after all, and you're going to have to get some soon. And the tension of approaching a deer stand and you notice that there are already dead zombies underneath it - someone's been there, and recently.

But, essentially, it's multi-player OpF/ArmAII with less of an emphasis on crawling literally everywhere and more things to do. The loot and weapons give it a collect-em-up quality and the zombies make it just tricky enough that you can't simply run through the map picking everything up (although you can, but there's always a risk that you'll over-reach yourself and get knocked out or end up with a broken leg).

The rush of killing another guy, the anticipation of what loot is on his body. That rush when your in a shoot out and some high tech gear is on the line is amazing, I'm never disappointed when I die when it comes to gear, I see it as easy come easy go its not hard to get geared up now. However I do dread that run along the coast as a fresh spawn.