Sign in to follow this  
Draulius

Blood Types/Cannibalism/Eating Raw Meat/Sleeping

To further add realism and difficulty to this mod, which seems to be the interest of the developers, a few new features I have in mind could be added to the game. Nothing wrong with a little more challenge.

1. Blood types. It is unrealistic that you are able to pick up any Blood Pack and use the blood to restore your health. What about blood types? Realistically speaking, what if it is a different type of blood from yours, and is unable to be put into you? I've always found it a little strange you can use literally any blood pack. My suggestion is that Blood Packs should have a random blood type, so that they are only able to used by some players. Restoring your health fully will no longer be as easy, which is an idea I for one welcome with open arms. Such is life in DayZ, after all.

2. Cannibalism. One of the key aspects of DayZ is the overwhelming fear of other people. You do not know who you can trust, and what people may do out of desperation. Realistically speaking, I think one person would kill or hunt another for sustenance, rather than succumbing to death. DayZ is set in a a desperate land on the brink of human extinction, so there is no reason to not have cannibalism implemented into the game. Finding the butchered corpse of a human would be the telltale sign of nearby cannibals, and would make the game much more frightening. To tell who is a cannibal, a player who does it too often would become decrepit looking and possibly shaky.

3. Eating Raw Meat. This feature is very important to the previous one. Realistically speaking, humans can digest raw meat and not be sick from it in some cases. Would you rather die, or would you rather eat raw meat to live longer despite the risk of sickness? Most people I think would pick the latter. Raw Meat could be cleaned, or washed, in order to somewhat lower the chance of sickness. This would make Cannibalism, if it is ever added, unable to be abused or be an easy route for curing hunger. But like I said, it is not impossible to eat raw meat in real life and be fine. I think some carcasses could carry the infection, and mean inevitable death for the player if eaten raw. That way, eating Raw Meat would be extremely risky and only be for last resorts only.

4. Sleep. To enhance the realism and danger of DayZ, a sleep requirement could also be added. The more you exhaust yourself, the faster your requirement for sleep would rise. This would also add to the stealth aspect of DayZ. I imagine sneaking up on a camp of sleeping survivors would be quite an intense experience. Sleeping would add a lot of opportunity for interesting scenarios in the game. Not only that, but it could also be used to enhance the survival of players. For example, a sickness could be warded off faster while you are asleep, or your wounds could heal faster.

Edited by Draulius

To further add to the realism of this mod, which seems to be the interest of the developers, a few new features I have in mind could be added to the game. They would not only add to the realism of the game, but also increase the difficulty of it. Nothing wrong with a little more challenge.

1. Blood types. It is unrealistic that you are able to pick up any Blood Pack and use the blood to restore your health. What about blood types? Realistically speaking, what if it is a different type of blood from yours, and is unable to be put into you? I've always found it a little strange you can use literally any blood pack. My suggestion is that Blood Packs should have a random blood type, so that they are only able to used by some players. Restoring your health fully will no longer be as easy, which is an idea I for one welcome with open arms. Such is life in DayZ, after all.

2. Cannibalism. One of the key aspects of DayZ is the overwhelming fear of other people. You do not know who you can trust, and what people may do out of desperation. Realistically speaking, I think one person would kill or hunt another for sustenance, rather than succumbing to death. DayZ is set in a a desperate land on the brink of human extinction, so there is no reason to not have cannibalism implemented into the game.

3. Eating Raw Meat. This feature is very important to the previous one. Realistically speaking, humans can digest raw meat and not be sick from it in some cases. Would you rather die, or would you rather eat raw meat to live longer despite the risk of sickness? Most people I think would pick the latter. Raw Meat could be cleaned, or washed, in order to somewhat lower the chance of sickness. This would make Cannibalism, if it is ever added, unable to be abused or be an easy route for curing hunger. And like I said, it is not impossible to eat raw meat in real life and be fine.

4. Sleep. To enhance the realism and risk of DayZ, a sleep requirement could be added. The more you exhaust yourself, the faster your requirement for sleep would rise. This would also add to the stealth aspect of DayZ. I imagine sneaking up on a camp of sleeping survivors would be quite an intense experience. Sleeping would add a lot of opportunity for interesting scenarios in the game. Not only that, but it could also be used to enhance the survival of players. For example, a sickness could be warded off faster while you are asleep, or your wounds could heal faster.

Havn't the raw meat eating and blood bag blood type already been implemented in the latest patch? (though it doesn't say that it just says " can possbily cause infection" when using a blood bag). Edited by ninjan777

I dont think sleep is a good idea i would much rather play the game, not sit for 5 hours with the game running while the character sleeps, and yes you would most likely have to sit for some hours since the game time is linked to real time and they cant speed it up for one person and not the rest. As for the other i can agree with all that, but i know all of those have been mentioned a lot in the past. The only problem i see with bood type is how would your blood type be determined ( would you pick it, or would the game choose at random?)

• Like 1

I dont think sleep is a good idea i would much rather play the game, not sit for 5 hours with the game running while the character sleeps, and yes you would most likely have to sit for some hours since the game time is linked to real time and they cant speed it up for one person and not the rest. As for the other i can agree with all that, but i know all of those have been mentioned a lot in the past. The only problem i see with bood type is how would your blood type be determined ( would you pick it, or would the game choose at random?)

The game would choose at random. Less common blood types would be chosen less often, too. Otherwise players would all pick the same blood type.

The game would choose at random. Less common blood types would be chosen less often, too. Otherwise players would all pick the same blood type.

Thats good but even still that brings up the issue of what do you call common? If you mean less common blood types in RL then most people would end up with O+ anyway thus creating problems for a reletivly small amount of people.

I like the idea of different blood types i just see it as becoming more of a nuisance

To further add realism and difficulty to this mod, which seems to be the interest of the developers, a few new features I have in mind could be added to the game. Nothing wrong with a little more challenge.

2. Cannibalism. One of the key aspects of DayZ is the overwhelming fear of other people. You do not know who you can trust, and what people may do out of desperation. Realistically speaking, I think one person would kill or hunt another for sustenance, rather than succumbing to death. DayZ is set in a a desperate land on the brink of human extinction, so there is no reason to not have cannibalism implemented into the game. Finding the butchered corpse of a human would be the telltale sign of nearby cannibals, and would make the game much more frightening. To tell who is a cannibal, a player who does it too often would become decrepit looking and possibly shaky.

3. Eating Raw Meat. This feature is very important to the previous one. Realistically speaking, humans can digest raw meat and not be sick from it in some cases. Would you rather die, or would you rather eat raw meat to live longer despite the risk of sickness? Most people I think would pick the latter. Raw Meat could be cleaned, or washed, in order to somewhat lower the chance of sickness. This would make Cannibalism, if it is ever added, unable to be abused or be an easy route for curing hunger. But like I said, it is not impossible to eat raw meat in real life and be fine. I think some carcasses could carry the infection, and mean inevitable death for the player if eaten raw. That way, eating Raw Meat would be extremely risky and only be for last resorts only.

4. Sleep. To enhance the realism and danger of DayZ, a sleep requirement could also be added. The more you exhaust yourself, the faster your requirement for sleep would rise. This would also add to the stealth aspect of DayZ. I imagine sneaking up on a camp of sleeping survivors would be quite an intense experience. Sleeping would add a lot of opportunity for interesting scenarios in the game. Not only that, but it could also be used to enhance the survival of players. For example, a sickness could be warded off faster while you are asleep, or your wounds could heal faster.

Sleeping? Definite no from me. Sleeping is super annoying in other games,

Also, in real life, you could just grab a bag of O- blood and fix up pretty much anyone. But I'm not against it. Imagine a new player getting confused and accidently killing his buddy because he accidently caused the blood to clot. The others are good too.

Edited by colekern

I really don't like the idea of blood types in the game.. While it's realistic ofc, it's greatly unfair for those people who end up with, lets say, blood type O-, because the only blood type they can recieve from is O-. while someone with the blood type AB+ don't have to care who they get blood from because they can have it all. Making the game way easier for those with AB+ compared to those with O-...

Take a look at this compatibility chart.

Red-Blood-Cell-Compatibility-Table-1.png

RNG like this wont be fun for the average player, and I see a lot of people getting put off by the complexities and having to kill your self every time you don't get the blood type you want to make the game easier.

No matter how good the idea sounds on paper, it's not going to be fun

What you could say though, however unlikely in a real life scenario, is that every blood bag you find contains blood from an O- donor, because everyone can use that...

I like the idea of cannibalism in DayZ, but I think it has to be done with moderation. I don't want to see players running around eating everyone they kill just for the heck of it. What we have to consider is that DayZ is first and foremost, a game, and people do a lot stuff in games they wouldn't do in real life, if players get presented with an option to "Eat Human" when looting, they will most certainly click it to keep their hunger always topped. The amount of cannibals in DayZ would most likely be way more than it would be in real life if something similar went down.

I think it should be some "last resort" if you can't find food anywhere and your hunger bar is starting to blink.

Some players will probably wait for their hunger bar to blink can so they can eat other players every time they need to eat.

That gives us another issue; how do you make them only eat other people out of hunger-desperation instead of just being a "D"? You make hunger give negative side effects.

What are the negative side effects irl? An upset stomach, rumbling noise, and lack of focus and possibly the shakes.

The upset stomach could slow down players, making them unable to run very far without a short pause.

The rumbling noise could attract nearby zombies and give the your position to other players.

The lack of focus and the shakes could make it harder to aim.

Remember, people who get driven to cannibalism in real life are usually those who get stranded with no food, and the only way of surviving is to sadly eat their fellow humans.

One incident that comes to mind is:

"Stella Maris College Rugby Team" (There's a movie based on the story "Alive(1993)")

http://en.wikipedia....orce_Flight_571

http://www.mailce.co...gby_team3_d.jpg

"On October 13, 1972 the team was on its way from Montevideo, Uruguay to play a match in Santiago Chile. Fierce wind and snow hounded the flight as the plane trekked through the Andes mountains. Due to poor weather and pilot error the plane crashed atop of an unnamed mountain on the border of Chile and Argentina. Search parties from three countries searched for 11 days in vain to find the downed flight of 45 people but were unsuccessful and all passengers were presumed dead. What followed next is one of the greatest examples of human survival ever recorded. Despite no food or heat 16 members of the team stayed on top of the mountain for over two months through the brutal winter while being forced to eat the remains of their fallen teammates before finally being rescued."

People don't eat people unless it's the last resort of surviving. of course there are those sick and demented people who eat people anyways, but I don't see 80-99% of the world(playerbase) being sick and demented.

When I got the cannibal perk in Fallout 3, I ate every person I killed, just because I could and had the option to do so.

I don't want DayZ to turn into a Cannibal Fest, too much focus will be set on the cannibalism if you can do it whenever you want too.

This is a VERY sensitive area, Rocket and his team should tackle this with caution.

Eating raw meat is as of 1.7.5.1 implemented to the game and will give you a little less blood than cooked meat, with a small chance of giving you an infection if not cooked. (:

Sleep is NOT a good game mechanic, far from it. As good as it you think it can sound on paper, it's not. It's boring and should forever stay away from multiplayer games like DayZ.

Minecraft did it, but it sets your spawn point and I think you just have to lie in the bed to set it on, or all the players on the server has to go to bed at the same time to skip the night to set it. I don't remember. Plus a day in Minecraft is like 30mins.

"Why is it bad?" you may ask.

Because the night and day cycle is in real time and it's a multiplayer game, so you can't skip the night if you're going to sleep.

How would it work? Do you let go of your character for 1h or 10mins so your char can power nap? But you want to play! Not sit on your chair staring at your defenseless character for 10+mins.

What would you do when your character is sleeping? Alt+Tab and do other stuff? Developers don't want you to go away from their game, they want you to spend as much time as possible playing their game.

What about implementing a dream-mini game? What should we do there then? Count sheep's? Shoot zombies walking towards you? Why would we want to do that when we can discover the world and scavenge for food.

Players don't like letting go of their character, and in a game like DayZ where the whole game is about your character, it will be a death sentence.. A lot of players skip the cutscenes in in AAA games because they want to play and not let go of their controllers for 2mins. Think of the damage it would do if you don't even get a cut scene to watch. It would even put off people who likes to watch cutscenes. And lets not forget about all those people who doesn't think twice about popping a bullet in your poor chars head and steal your stuff without you being able to do anything against it. You're basically turning your loot in.

You also spend 6-10hours(depending on your age and health) each day to sleep in real life, why would you log on to a game to stare at your character sleeping. I don't get it.

If you don't sleep irl, your focus and reaction time will affect your gameplay, no point adding or taking more to that. Irl sleep is already a variable affecting your game.

This is my long constructive feedback. Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.. (:

EDITS: Edits made are just for typos..

Edited by Arkayzer

Sleep, though realistic wouldn't really be a good addition to the game. Not when things go on around you.

I just assume that once i log out it is night night.

Sleep, though realistic wouldn't really be a good addition to the game. Not when things go on around you.

I just assume that once i log out it is night night.

Exactly, I assume the same.

It would be a good idea if DayZ was a single player game, like Fallout in that sense.

But in an "MMO" it just wouldn't work.

All been suggested, all been disapproved.

Don't have time to supply all the links to each and every thread, but had he used the search function, well... that speaks for itself.

/thread pls