DemonGroover

DayZ: Most Private Hives Are Not Real DayZ

Not so much as a whinge but an observation. Ok, ok - a whinge!

Last night i joined a server which i presumed to be 'vanilla' DayZ - there was nothing in the server description to think otherwise. However upon joining i quickly realised that it was far from what i consider the "real" DayZ.

I spawned with a Makarov, a map, a compass and not 100m from where i had stood there were 3(!) fully repaired and fueled Helis. Side chat was enabled and the chat consisted of : "OMG this is the best server ever!!" and such. Further exploration revealed the map was littered with vehicles.

I realise that there are other servers which are 'vanilla' and there is a choice involved and normally i avoid these type of servers because it is not what i want out of the game. But my questions are:

Why do players like these servers that give weapons at spawn, a map, a compass, 500+ vehicles etc etc?

What sort of experience do you want out of a zombie survival game when things are put in your lap without the need for effort?

In essence, why are you playing DayZ?

Your thoughts please - it is a slow day here in downtown Brisbane.

I agree with this mate, which is why i have been playing dayz 2017. Its everything the Old/Original Dayz WAS.

Lee enfield or shotgun, toe to toe fighting and you still get helpful players. You have to fend for food, like cows and sheep rather than finding 30 cans of beans in a supermarket. It should still be like this in the standalone.

DayZ is a mod. You've got to expect people who play mods to modify their private servers to a game type their players/clans/friends enjoy. Some DayZ mods have less loot than Vanilla, some have way more. I have my personal preferences (more vehicles - I hate walking across hugemaps - less starting gear) but I think its great to have variety after all who eats plain vanilla icecream all the time? Boring!

Edited by S1ippery Jim