Bladez 0f Fury

DayZ Stand Alone and ArmA 3?

So I have been doing a lot of digging on ArmA 3 lately (I have been playing ArmA 2 since it was released back in '09.) and I found this picture in particular.

http://forum.i3d.net...909-627x391.jpg

Now you may look at that and ask why is this important? Well I can give you a couple reasons why. Take a look at the first character model. What does he have on? You guessed it right. Its the same clothes (boxers/Tshirt) as Matt had on in the new DayZ video. http://youtu.be/x_SKBJaJBcI?t=4m29s (link will take you staright to seeing matt with the same outfit.) (You can also see it here in the ArmA 3 game. ( http://youtu.be/xdXv-qzgOEY)

So what does this mean? And why should you care?

Well this tells us quite a few things about DayZ SA (These could all be wrong aswell). First being that we MAY see all the armors and camo's and everything else from ArmA 3 implimented into DayZ. With all the factions in ArmA 3, (KSK, USA, SAS, Iranians, China, Russian PMC, Greek Guerillas, Greek Militia, and many many others.) It would be "Suicide" if they didn't use some, if not all the different models and clothing models, including creating their own. (implying that they ARE using the ArmA 3 clothes already which would also explain why they have no "Static models") It would only enhance the amount of diversity in the players and would be once again, a suicidal mistake to not have all of them in game (Sure the Camo's could be SUPER SUPER rare, but having multiple camo's would only make it that much better) Second being that we MAY see the same gun customization as ArmA 3 since DayZ SA will have the same Armor/Character customization. (Keep in mind, I could be completely wrong.) However to only stregnthen my argument here is a picture showing some of the customization to characters in ArmA 3 (See below)

http://www.rapidfire...d-equipment.jpg

As you know, DayZ SA does have different vest/clothing and it would only make sense that they took the customization from ArmA 3 and tweeked the screen to their liking to make it better for us DayZ players.

Lastly (Now THIS is a BIG BIG speculation and we COULD or could not see it.) they could possibly be implementing the Animations from ArmA 3 into DayZ SA. It makes sense to do that (since the release date was pushed) as it will make the game look that much prettier and run that much smoother and hopefully fix the crappy animations from ArmA 2 Zeds. This one how ever is a bit of a stretch and I could see this NOT happening as this would be a much bigger investment in time to do such things.

Thank you for reading through this, and I'm sorry if this has already been covered before. However I would love to hear your guy's input on this and what you guys think.

Edited by Bladez 0f Fury
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing the ArmA 3 screenshots. Now I don't have any idea how BI works, but as the SA dev blog has often enough stated assistance from the ArmA 3 engine guys, it's very likely that the art department is doing some cross-over work, making stuff that is easily used in both worlds. In that regard, very likely your speculations are correct, though we'll probably get less high-tech equipment in DayZ SA compared to ArmA 3.

But yea, why bother inventing the wheel twice when creating two games at the same time on the same engine.

• Like 1

Nice post. The way I see it, Rocket and the gang are now able to pluck what they need from all of the resources BIS have available which is pretty amazing really. Good times ahead!

But yea, why bother inventing the wheel twice when creating two games at the same time on the same engine.

Just going to point out now that although they are sharing a bunch of art stuff, DayZ SA and Arma 3 will not be on the same engine. Arma 3 will be using a brand new engine Bohemia has, while the SA will be on the Take on Helicopters engine.

So while it will be better than the Arma 2 engine, it probably won't be as good as the new engine.

Edited by AdmiralGreene

Just going to point out now that although they are sharing a bunch of art stuff, DayZ SA and Arma 3 will not be on the same engine. Arma 3 will be using a brand new engine Bohemia has, while the SA will be on the Take on Helicopters engine.

So while it will be better than the Arma 2 engine, it probably won't be as good as the new engine.

They're re-writing much of the engine actually so in effect DayZ will have it's own engine. Please read the Devblog for more details as it is misleading to simply say that DayZ is using the TOH engine, it's a lot more complicated than that.

They're re-writing much of the engine actually so in effect DayZ will have it's own engine. Please read the Devblog for more details as it is misleading to simply say that DayZ is using the TOH engine, it's a lot more complicated than that.

Learn something new, or relearn something forgotten, every day. Is there a reason behind using a customized TOH engine over using upcoming arma3 engine, or just a scheduling conflict?

They can still use the same models / textures / animations tho, may just need a different script to export from maya/3ds/etc to whatever object format the engine eats. May lose some tesselation here or triple-S there, but nothing stopping the reuse of artwork on any level.

I think it's kind of become pointless of speaking of the standalone as something based on ArmA 2, TOH or ArmA 3.

First the very top echelon of BI is part of the DayZ team and I doubt they will hold any content back from ArmA 3, if it servers DayZ. They've had to delay both games, DayZ because they became more ambitious and ArmA 3 because of the legal predicament in Greece. However this doesn't mean they now have time or reason to merge the two games together.

These two titles has to do very different things, where ArmA 3 has to tell us a traditional story, at least a little more traditional than DayZ, ArmA 3 also has to deliver an open and easily customizable platform for user content, for which BI games are renown and beloved. DayZ has to deliver a MMO experience, which is driven internally by the players themselves, their imagination and the stories they tell themselves to rationalize murdering that noob in Elektro. While some assets are easily usable in DayZ, DayZ is still more of a civilian theater, than a military experience such as ArmA.

Anyways as always this is random thoughts I compile from what I've read or think I've read. I don't actually know anything, but I don't distinguish between solid facts and qualified guesses.

Edited by Dallas

Sorry guys, Chrome is being stupid so I can't quote.

@Elvaron.

I use to Mod Bethesda Games, and did everything you could imagine. I'm sure (Since BI is much like Bethesda and like the users to generate their own content to help the game) that they will keep the same structure for all the 3d models. For instance, I could import knifes/swords from Skyrim back to Fallout 3. I would only have to change one hit box, as they were updated. So I'm sure BI would/do keep the models the same or as same as possible so exporting old guns/armor/skins/etc. would be as simple as possible!

@Dallas.

I agree completely. I don't mean to compare DayZ to ArmA2 or Arma 3. I mainly just made this post to point out that we will be getting some of the features form ArmA 3, or maybe ArmA 3 is getting some DayZ features :P but either way, you are very right. A3 is a military simulator made so people can make their own missions, make their own content and have freedom over how they play, when DayZ is all about the MMO. but with that being said, since (from what I was told) DayZ was bought out by BI(???) I'm sure we will be seeing many of the same features in the two titles, which is the main purpose of this post.

As for everyone else posting thanks for your insight and your information :3

I'm not sure about the business deal between Rocket and BI, but they are definitely in bed together. I mean when the CEO of BI is part of the project, coding the engine and other prominent ArmA devs are part of the team, I expect some cross over or heavy inspiration.

You get an extra point for exact model of the underwear model from ArmA 3 and the chest rig. :)

Edited by Dallas

No worries about the quoting ;) And yea, pretty sure they'd just go back to the original files, grab those high-res subdiv levels and export with more details than they dared with the old engine.

It's what I'd do, GoZ it up (a term from ZBrush, nothing to do with DayZ :D), why get rid off something that has worked in the past.

I wish they'd include the community a little more, e.g. have an art contest where the winner's item gets added to the standalone version or s.th. like that.

But for the most part, have to be happy with what we get.

Edited by Elvaron

ArmA 3 clothes ..... It would only enhance the amount of diversity in the players and would be once again, a suicidal mistake to not have all of them in game

A suicidal mistake not having all ArmA 3's clothing options?

So, during a zombie apoclypse, we should expect to find, and I'm quoting you, "KSK, USA, SAS, Iranians, China, Russian PMC, Greek Guerillas, Greek Militia, and many many others" clothing scattered around Russia?

I hope I'm not going to be the only player who's focused on the gameplay and not my Sunday attire.

Just because they're chinese pants in ArmA3 doesnt mean they have to be chinese in DayZ SA :D

And with your sunday attire most likely deciding on how much actual inventory space you have, I hope for a lot of variety. It goes beyond fashion.

@Bill

once again. Finding said camo's would be insanely hard. I.E. It takes you one week of gameplay to find a Vest and One Camo pants. Make them rare, but put in ALL the different varieties that way Clan's can have a "set Camo" to not only help them spot each other but to make each and every character in the game more diverse! you do realise in A3, the only Military forces are Nato and China and I believe Greece? All the rest are PMC/Militia and others, which means they would have Civilian clothing/Make shift gear. Again. make Civilian Clothes more common and make the military "Gear" less common. I mean fuck, I own ~6-7 pairs of BDU's that I wear because they are some of the most comfortable clothes around.

@Elvaron

If they ever included the community I would love to do some 3d gun models for DayZ. I have so many drawings of guns laying around, its insane! :3