Sign in to follow this  
samuels_90

Dont get attached to any character

As a long time player of Dayz I can tell you the most important rule for the game is do not get too attached to a charter.

Even if you want to say, build a main character on an official server and mess about on others, bad idea. If you become attached to any character on any server main/private you will regret it.

I had previously ignored this rules until my entire group were killed by a hacker, we were on an offical server only had a total of 6 players on it (smaller servers are less appealing to hackers) and we lost everything, hours of gameplay and a ton of rare gear.

Best part is we were all killed because we tried to log out,

so to recap. don't get attached. don't spend hours looking for rare gear.

main piece of advice is build a average character and stay close to the coast, why?

Tons of snipers at the airfields and stary sober (main town before airfields) if you are killed by a hacker and are near the coast once he is kicked/banned you will have a decent chance of getting your gear back from your dead body.

this isn't me whining about getting killed, been killed plenty of times, its just some friendly advice.

• Like 2

Uhh, not sure what you mean by character in this sense. It's not like you change when you die and respawn, only thing that changes is your clothes. Now I don't know about you, but a white shirt and black vest and green hat do not make Big Mike. NOWHERE is safe, only slightly less dangerous places. I think what you mean is don't get attached to gear. My suggestion is to play on a whitelisted server with active and non-abusive admins.

I lost my 200 day old character with every tool, nvgs (you get the idea a lot of good stuff) when I tried to get onto the shipwreck east of Khelm. I was swimming into the rear of the boat which was underwater and it looked like I could get on but nope cruch argh unconcious dead in a second.

Edited by Chris529
  • Like 3

I lost my 200 day old character with every tool, nvgs (you get the idea a lot of good stuff) when I tried to get onto the shipwreck east of Khelm. I was swimming into the rear of the boat which was underwater and it looked like I could get on but nope cruch argh unconcious dead in a second.

That must've been painful.

And I thought I was pissed off losing a 45 day character to the man-eating rocks of Skalka...

so to recap. don't get attached. don't spend hours looking for rare gear.

What are you on about? Getting geared, going out and eventually getting shot in the face in some random, epic firefight is the way to go. The only way to go. I savor those moments. Dying in Dayz is unlike dying in any other game. In the private hive community I play on you don't worry about hackers... you only worry about getting shot in the face due to a lack of tactical advantage.

I usually go by the messure of kit I've acquired, around the time I'm getting gps or nvg's. After that it's usually time to die but then I play the pvp side of things.

In the intitial stages I don't feel attatched to my character. However as they get some sweet inventory, I can't help but want them to survive.. Death is much harder when you have a czech backpack..

• Like 1

What are you on about? Getting geared, going out and eventually getting shot in the face in some random, epic firefight is the way to go. The only way to go. I savor those moments. Dying in Dayz is unlike dying in any other game. In the private hive community I play on you don't worry about hackers... you only worry about getting shot in the face due to a lack of tactical advantage.

When I say hours I don't mean 2 or 3 I mean about 50-60 that's how long we spent, our dayz intention was to play for fun some pvp etc but after a while we got attached and wanted to keep a Main character who's only purpose was finding rare gear and avoiding death.

All I am saying is don't spent 20+ hours getting awesome loot, its really not worth it while the game is in alpha.

Edited by samuels_90

The game starts getting fun if you're attached to your character. :)