Sign in to follow this  
exiler

Massive Idea Line for the Standalone

Hi this is Ingot here,

Little Disclaimer:

"The text below is just what I think a hardcore simulator should think about incorporating .. This is just some of my suggestions that DO NOT have to be put in but this could lead to something else being created which could potentially help Dayz in some form. Please DO NOT in anyway say that all my ideas suck because of no reason, Simply say how you could improve it or that the idea would not work because of such and such. I hope you appreciate my time and effort into providing ideas. Also if someone has posted a suggestion that I have said please say in the comments so I can remove it. Thank you."

Experience So Far:

My first time posting on this forum for the dayzmod. Over the time Dayz has been around I have only played it a few times due to my computer not being able to run Arma2. Now Arma2 is an old game but with a strong BUT it was designed for heavy simulation and that is why it looks amazing even to this day. I am getting my new computer tomorrow which I am so thrilled about.

Okay, over the time Dayz has been out I have wrote down some ideas that relate to HARDCORE SIMULATION. Things like if the world had a virus and it was announced that it was basically an apocalypse then what would people do in real life.

Some Obvious Events

Basically, cities would go into mayhem and everyone would start to fight over food, water and transportation. Now some suggestions play into this event, things like news reports of 'VIRUS WILL END THE WORLD AND WIPE OUT THE HUMAN RACE' stuff like that which will be on TVs and radio broadcasts. This relates into Dayz with the radio towers already in the maps of Dayz.

Little visualization:- TV News Reports

In the UK we have electronic shops which have lots of TVs that show off different stuff like the news, sports and movies. The TVs could be smashed up with some sparks coming from them or they could be on fire, Some could be showing a news report saying 'VIRUS WILL END THE WORLD AND WIPE OUT THE HUMAN RACE' whilst flickering and fuzzing out. In Dayz there is a office like building in one of the main cities where it has a few TVs and maybe it could be introduced there. This is just to make it a bit more realistic feeling and that the gamer is actually in an environment of panic, fear and desperation.

Little visualization:- Radio Broadcasts

The Radio has probably already been suggested or in the dayzmod itself but my idea is not the radio but actually being able to turn the Knob to change the signal to try to get some sort of message. For example a repeating voice saying 'VIRUS WILL END THE WORLD AND WIPE OUT THE HUMAN RACE' in a Man/Women Voice, could be military style of voice or news reporter. This is where my other idea comes in....

Players Sending Radio Message:

This Idea as in it could be a player saying: "Group up at STARY SOBER" Which the player could use the current voice chat 'Caps Lock' to say into the Interface of the Radio his/hers message. They could also set things like: Do you want to repeat this message?, If so how many times? or Do you want to keep it at a constant repeat?. Currently there are Radio Stations but maybe you could Tap into them by repairing it with some Scrap Metal and wires?. There could be a variable like the % of how well repaired it is and this could correspond to what range in Miles the radio could be heard from.

Now you are probably thinking, how could you hear this radio message in the first place? Well, In real life you should know that cars come with Radios and in Dayz there are many many cars. So now your saying: "hmmm, but most cars are either fully damaged or not fully repaired" Well, Maybe you could loot the Radio out of the car and fix it up with some wires, scrap metal and some batteries to power it. This brings to my other idea...

Solar Power

Most power Stations would fail if not all of them due to coal not being able to heat up thus creating steam which turns a turbine. But it would probably stay up for a while and eventually die. My Solar power idea could be... putting them in your base (Camp, Fortified Camp or Roof Top) which could connect to something like a radio or something that requires power.

Drinkable Water:

Now in real life if you go out into the forest and decide to be a noob to surviving in the wild then you should think before you drink out of a stagnant lake, river or pond. Stagnant water is a NO why you may ask? This water is full of bacteria and other nasty things that can cause many side affects sometimes even DEATH!

What I would like to see is the ability to drink out of flowing water like a stream or if it rains you could maybe set up a Water Collection tank of some kind. Maybe also being able to heat up water for a relaxing cup of tea ;)

Farmer's Animal Stock:

Currently in Dayz there is Barns/farms which could store Animals like pigs, sheep, Cows and Horses, If this Virus didn't affect say some Animals which could not be killed by the virus then I believe you should be able to Milk cows, Sheer a Sheep for clothing and being able to Ride horses!. Also being able to get meat from Chickens and being able to make arrows from their feathers. Also being able to make Leather to make clothes and foot wear.

Horses, These would be amazing if they got added to the standalone in my opinion, why? Because they can move fast, Not have to refuel apart from just graze and also they are all terrain animals. To compensate for those bonuses maybe you have to Tame the horse to be able to ride it, making a lasso then lassoing it. Then making a saddle out of leather. Also the horse could have a fatigue limit so when it reaches a certain speed for a length of time it could either fall down or be completely riderless for a period of time. You may also be able to camouflage your horse with something, give it armor like scrap metal into plates + leather = frontal armor from melee or pistol protection with a % to deflect and reduce damage. Also the horse should have a Health bar and you must give it food and water to keep alive, if it gets shot or stabbed you should bandage it.

Chickens lay eggs everyday, this could be taken advantage of by making a cage of some kind and then capturing the chickens. This could allow you to take the chickens to your camp and have a good source of protein everyday. However, you have to cook them or you could get salmonella which can kill you. You are able to put the chickens into the back of your car but you can also carry them but with the risk of drawing attention to yourself. Note: You have to feed the chickens to sustain a egg collection on a daily basis. The suggestion of collecting eggs and also having to feed them was made by UmBe.

Stingers: 'Car Tire Immobilizers'

Basically you get a bunch of nails from a barn or some random pile then you get some scrap metal and combine them to create stingers. To use them simply roll them out onto the road (They are almost invisible) but have a % of a chance to either totally disable the automobile or they could damage the tires and over time they eventually degrade to a point of immobilization.

Anvil:

The ability to make a heavy duty anvil using lots of scrap metal then being able to craft many many objects. Possibly there could be some in abandoned Blacksmiths that are in rural area's could be swarmed with (Special Zombies). This gives the players a challenge to work for something that is useful and could benefit him/her down the line, plus a sense of reward is created.

Crossbow Attachments

The crossbow in Dayz has just a standard bolt/arrow this got me thinking and I thought of a few suggestions; (Please note all these arrow attachments do the same basic damage as the standard arrow just with added damage on top of it.)

-Flaming Arrow: Low/Heavy Damage: (Consists of some bandages wrapped around the arrow head then set a light, However this does not do that much damage... for heavier damage you need to cover the bandages with oil or petrol then wrap the bandages around. This can cause heavy damage to wooden buildings and animals... Meaning instead of having to set up a camp fire to cook some meat you could just shoot a flaming arrow at it. However it doesn't cook it that well and you have a % of getting sick.)

-Poison Arrow: Low Damage/Over Time: (Consists of a Poisonous Frog that has been rubbed onto the arrow, There could multiple types of frogs like: common, uncommon, moderate and rare. These could have unique poisons that damage a player in a different way.)

Shock

so currently you can go into shock when you lose lots of blood but I was wondering and came up with a realistic approach. When you break a bone in your body and if it is visible your brain starts to freak out basically. It triggers pain receptors and starts off adrenaline. Too much adrenaline and your heart could start messing up. I was thinking maybe a system where if you were to break your leg and over a period of time you start to deteriorate and go into shock for a small amount of time. This leaves you vulnerable and would make the game more realistic in my opinion.

Extra Weapons

I know there is probably many suggestions of new weapons but I have not seen a few that I have fought of such as;

Key:

Common

Uncommon

Moderate

Rare

Super Rare

Custom Made

Melee:

Metal Pole

Knuckle Duster

Dagger

Flail

Spear

Scythe

Mace

Two-Handed Hammer

Baseball Bat with Glass/Nails/Barbed Wire attached

Ranged:- Short/Medium: (Silent Ranged Weapons)

Throwing Knives (X0M Max Range)

Longbow Bow (X00M Max Range)

Tomahawk (X00M Max Range)

Short Bow (X00M Max Range)

Sling Shot (X0M Max Range)

Ranged:- High

Mortar (X000M Max Range, But incredibly inaccurate, medium damage and low amount of ammo. Also requires two people to man it and transport it. However, allows you to be a far distance away from people.)

Misc:-

Ballista (X00M Max Range. But slow reload and takes a lot of wood, scrap metal and rope to build. However, is very accurate, heavy damage and is almost silent.)

This is all I have for now I will be adding more to this post in the future, If you have any suggestions to add to my suggestions please feel free to add to mine.

Thank you for reading my post,

Ingot

----------------- Update Section-----------------

~Added Crossbow Attachments

~Added Chicken Egg Collection

~Added Shock

~Added Extra Weapons

Edited by Ingot
  • Like 4

I agree 100% with all of theese. Glad to see someone who puts in effort in there thinking.

I agree 100% with all of theese. Glad to see someone who puts in effort in there thinking.

Thank you

I agree with this,

Also I congratulate you for not having a post saying "the greatest standalone idea evar!" and only have two lines for their idea which has been posted about 50 times, beans to you.

I agree with this,

Also I congratulate you for not having a post saying "the greatest standalone idea evar!" and only have two lines for their idea which has been posted about 50 times, beans to you.

Haha, I shall enjoy those beans over a warming campfire.

• Like 1

Drinkable Water:

[...] the ability to drink out of flowing water like a stream [...]

There is not a single river in Chernarus xD

And a while back when I suggested the same thing with rivers an water and stuff the answer was, that is would be to hard to create rivers with this engine any time soon.

Some great suggestions, even if some of them have been suggested before.

On topic: regarding Farm animals, I would like to see chickens/ the ability to get chickens and put them somewhere safe, so you could walk there everyday an collect eggs (provided you feed them).

No to drinking water. Thats going full retard.

Animals might be intresting...

Edited by Ghass2

No to drinking water. Thats going full retard.

[...]

do you mind presenting us with a reason?

PS.: since rocket is such a huge fan of germs and shit, this is so going to be part of the game.

Edited by UmBe

wow rivers would add so much to immersion...can't believe not to see something like this in the game. :(

Edited by joe_mcentire

Added chicken egg collection system

Added Shock

Added Extra Weapons

can anyone add to this?

I can add that bumping your own topic isn't the best idea.. I don't want to get out of subject with this..

Anyway, I like the ideas and I'd like to consider something that can be added. Something like 'Flashbacks' which can occur in different areas and gives you a bit of a scenario of what happened in that area that you go to. It adds up due to your character being on the shoreline as if you survived prior to the apocalypse.

I agree that some of these would be cool to see. I think a lot of it would be unecessary and could clutter the game a bit. For example the solar power i like the idea but i dont think it belongs in dayz mainly because in dayz people arent setting up makshift towns for people to live and try to prosper again. The other thing i would like to mention is the "anvil" and "extra weapons." The thing about the anvil is i just dont see its value, i dont know what you would make with an anvil that would be usful, mabey you could hammer scrapmetal into plates to make Bullet RESISTANT plates? other than that i just dont see it. As for the weapons things like: bows, metal poles, spears, knives (Daggers) and bats yea i see that being feasible but the throwing knives, tomahawk, ballista, mortar, hammer, flail, and sling-shot; these seem a bit over the top to me. Why would i build a ballista? To tear down a barn? it just doesnt have a purpose, throwing knives and tomahawks arent something i think you would see much mainly because thoughs have more value as a hatchet and knives. (The hatchet in dayz is an axe not a hatchet, if you dont believe me look it up) Plus theres the added factor of the ability to throw them accuratly, despite the fact that it can be done you have to consider who can do it, most people cant even throw a knife into the dirt not to mention a "tomahawk" as for the mortar, i fear this could easily be over used and over powered plus theres the added problem of ammunition. The sling-shot, i admit i have seen people kill small game with them and i have personaly be hit by one and it hurts like hell but as for a practical use for this, i see none realisticly if you should somone with one your probobly not going to injure them but instead piss them off. A two handed hammer i could see but the biggest problem with that is that dayz is primarily based around firearms not melee weapons so in carring it you would be at a huge disadvantage. lastley a flail isnt something i think you would ever find in this environment and again the usfullness of melee weapons is little.

Sorry if it sounds like im being an asshole it wasnt intended that way.