Spon9eBoB

I learned how to fly a heli

I was basically a noob when it came to flying a heli. Found a server that has plenty of heli's. At one time I had over a dozen that I didnt crash. I took a "crash" course in learning how to fly. If you want to learn how to fly I can teach you how. I'm playing on server US 310. Just ask for Snoopy when you see me on the server. If the server is whitelisted just apply at their website, you will see the info on how to apply when you log into the server. Besides heli's there are about 400 vehicles on the map to choose from.

• Like 1

Or you could load up the single player editor and spawn any heli you wanted and practice there, I assume you forgot Arma was there?

• Like 12

Agreed, there is also a tutorial in arma that you can fly how every you like... and its way too easy anyway in these games.

Also the autohover in arma is stupid feature.

Edited by Zeppa

Arma 2 flying doesn't feel very realistic, that's why I bought ToH to play and learn to fly for SA. Can you use a joystick while flying in ToH? I never tested.

it's nice of you to offer to teach others how to fly, but you just learned yourself, and not even using the tutorial from Arma. I'm sure you still have brushing up to do.

Congratulations.

Now do 7 backflips in a row in a Little Bird.

Trust me, it's easy.

I mean, even in real life it is super easy to do a backflip in a heli ;D

Super realistic and all~

But in all seriousness, I couldn't even fly a heli up until a couple days ago because I thought "Tutorials are for the weak"

• Like 1

Trust me, it's easy.

And by that.... Literally.... It is easy to do a backflip in a Little Bird.

I was stupid and tried doing one in a Mi-17.... that went well.

Oh yeah, super realistic of course! No, but as I was saying Arma 2 does not really have a realistic feel to it, nor do ToH. There's nothing that can beat real life when it comes to realism (Obvious) There are just games that can boost up your flying skills and the way of learning.

No no, honestly. Doing a backflip ain't hard in Arma 2 at all.

Edited by voddler

After months of practicing in the Editor, I still can't manage to land helicopters properly :(

I always manage to fuck up a part in some way or just end up blowing up the entire thing xD

After months of practicing in the Editor, I still can't manage to land helicopters properly :(

I always manage to fuck up a part in some way or just end up blowing up the entire thing xD

That's why you gotta take it nice and easy ;)

Well "realism" and "game" don't really match no matter what. Even to most simulators.... Like you said, nothing can beat real life.

Even Microsoft Flight Simulator.... you fly into the ocean and bounce right back into the air.... That is of course if they haven't done something about that. I haven't played it in about 3 years.

I think in my opinion. Backflips in helicopters = Most realism in Arma 2. Most. Realistic. Thing. Ever.

Well "realism" and "game" don't really match no matter what. Even to most simulators.... Like you said, nothing can beat real life.

Even Microsoft Flight Simulator.... you fly into the ocean and bounce right back into the air.... That is of course if they haven't done something about that. I haven't played it in about 3 years.

I think in my opinion. Backflips in helicopters = Most realism in Arma 2. Most. Realistic. Thing. Ever.

Is there anyway to switch off auto-levelling of your nose while flying, i'm not talking about autohover but when you set the nose at 45deg it will straighten up automatically in about 20 secs.

Edited by theirongiant74

Make sure the ground is FLAT and not at an ANGLE, turn auto-hover ON and GENTLY TAP q till you reach the ground, then turn off the engine.

Easiest way i find is to change the controls... I currently use all keyboard arrows for movement (Pitch & Roll) and WASD for Throttle and Yaw. Got auto hover on right shift and disengage auto by dubble tapping r.shift. I died every time until i set that up.

Now with a bit of practice i fly low level around 10-15 ft from the ground :D

If you are touching down on a surface that is not flat, you actually need to turn off auto-hover before you touch down. Otherwise, the chopper will fight you to stay level and not sit properly on the ground. I think this may be the problem you are having.

Oh yeah, super realistic of course! No, but as I was saying Arma 2 does not really have a realistic feel to it, nor do ToH. There's nothing that can beat real life when it comes to realism (Obvious) There are just games that can boost up your flying skills and the way of learning.

No no, honestly. Doing a backflip ain't hard in Arma 2 at all.

Its the gameplay thats gif the feeling off realistic ,, and if you like more sim fly than u must look at this project

Edited by mokum
  • Like 1

I did all of my practice in the editor, and lots of it. I'm still not too confident flying over and landing in hot spots, but I can fly pretty low now and land even Mi-17's accurately and safely. Biggest accomplishment was landing a Mi-17 in the middle of a circle of pine trees near the edge of a treeline, and dodging rockets and machine gun fire from an Apache helicopter on a Namalsk server. I personally fly with wasd and double tab alt to free look with mouse, holding down alt for minor movements with the mouse. Just takes practice.

I find helicopters are easy to fly in ArmA... and turning on auto-hover makes them extremely simple to use.

However jets are another story. I'd rather fly a jet in Flight Simulator or LockOn than try flying one of those finicky ArmA death traps...