Sign in to follow this  

Why are people so bothered about dogs? I think its the most gimmicky addition to the game yet and really don't understand the big deal about them! I don't know what Rocket was smoking when he dreamt this idea up, I can only presume he had recently been watching I am Legend or something...

I have a vision, Walking throught the Woods CZ550 in hand Hero skin wth my Dog by my side... Just would look epic.

• Like 1

Will do dog be able to gain levels and acquire new attacks and abilities? Cuz that wud b sooo kewl!

On a serious note, if you throw a grenade is it gonna fetch?

• Like 1

I think the dogs will have the ability to hear, see and smell players/zeds from longer distances.

And it's obvious that they have been improved since this.

Basically making it easier to track and kill players, a crutch if you will. The video made me more anti-dog.

Im not saying it cant be implemented successfully im sure it can be most of you guys know im all for creativity. But until I got more details im going to remain skeptical.

• Like 1

I love dogs and will defeinitely have one when they release, no dpibt about it! Hopefully they help you non-thethally take people down, help you track game and generally help you know your surroundings better. It'll be a cool addition to the game.

Yea, like there is no game out there with pets in it...I woulld hardly call the dog addition to dayz a gimmick.

And there isnt a big deal about dogs, its just a nice addition....ur teenage head probaly blows everything out of proportion.

Some players like dogs, some want a pets...some like kinky roleplay with animals in games cos its wrong to do it in the real world...its that simple

My teenage head? mate I'm 32 years old with 3 kids.... don't make silly presumptions simply because my opinion doesn't run parallel to yours, if anything that's immature. Besides Im not strongly opposed to them or requesting they no tbe put in, I just found it a bit of a random feature that would seem more at home on the simms than a survival game.

Its just my opinion and to be honest I don't really care either way I just find it bizarre how fixated people get on this "toy" feature that feels more like a daft project Rocket played around with after watching I am Legend. I just don't really see the need for dogs in the game and feel it's a bit of a random thing to incorporate or even focus on. If/when they are eventually introduced I think any benefits will be either over shadowed or forgotten about by the simple fact every newbie will have the goal of getting a dog and they will be common place.

Again, at this stage I don't think they are significant enough an addition to care either way about but if they DO become so significant within the game I think that would only go to prove that they probably shouldn't be in the game - this shouldn't be one man and his dog.

Edited by Box
  • Like 2

I think when they're released, I'm just going to stalk players, snipe their dogs and then move onto the next.

Not because I'm a complete bastard. Because there's something that doesn't sit right with me about pressing a button and having your dog home in on the nearest survivor.

• Like 2

I can already see some starving survivor torn between eating his dog or dying of starvation...tragic really.

I wouldn't want a dog. We all know there is gonna be that one jerk who will shoot the dog and leave you.

Dogs will cool... if they work. If they don't then people just will not use them , dead dogs will litter the landscape either way. working or broken.

I have plans to sit in hiding on a well travelled route and release the hounds when someone runs past.

If dogs are found to be Gimmicky they will not be added, (I think I'm pretty safe with that statement).

@ iMonsterSwift Read the Stickies use the Search Function.

Q: Are dogs still planned?

A: We hope it's in there for release.I doubt it will be in there for the technical test. The tech test is going to be very basic with only a few weapons as we wanted to redo basically everything so it will start off very simply and build up but I imagine that dogs will be in for the first paid build, they won't be a milestone for it so if they are in there for release that's great but if not they will come in a near update. We won't hold the release for dogs.

Thanks for the information!

Ever since I first heard of the dogs being added to the game in an update, I've dreamt of one thing. For me and a few buddies to round up some DB shotguns and release our hounds upon the wild boar who stalk the woods. RELASE THE HOUNDS!

• Like 2

Mad Max had a dog - so that's good enough for me.

Next update, boomerangs, gyro-copters and midgets on the shoulders of big blokes.

• Like 1

Every time someone mentions dogs in DayZ I think about Dog Meat from Fallout 3.

Why are people so bothered about dogs? I think its the most gimmicky addition to the game yet and really don't understand the big deal about them! I don't know what Rocket was smoking when he dreamt this idea up, I can only presume he had recently been watching I am Legend or something...

Having a companion in a post apocolyptic world is fairly common in pop culture. Mad max, I am Legend, and so on. I think it would be a nice addition. Although I could see my dog giving me away to other survivors if he doesn't hide in the bush with me. :P

I've seen a few private servers running versions of the dog code. I got a dog on this server- 173.192.200.76:3238 It is really basic, the dog has no commands he just follows, and bites zombies, gets in the car/chopper, oh and he barks when zeds get too close. Still though he'll save your ass with the new zombie mechanics. Nice to have the dog when you are fueling, etc.