Sign in to follow this  
Majora017

New maps? Thirsk, Origins and Isladuala

Well I restarted dayz commander and found some new maps up for download. Anyone know about them

I have heard that Thirsk is a snowy atmosphere it looks cool :)

I know there's a link, but I'll do some explaining. DayZ origins offers a unique experience with the ability to create and customize your own vehicles, introducing a new system of salvaging parts, creating all sorts of useful and innovative combinations. There is a story-driven factor involved, giving the world a new depth and creating new conflicts to face, such as a community similar to Crawford in Telltale Games' The Walking Dead which can actually be infiltrated given a talented player. New story factors, zombies, and skins have been added making the newest addition to DayZ's mods one of the most worthwhile yet. While spawns are a bit dodgy, having 2 fixed spawns and a random spawn option, you can eventually find that if you want to live past 5 minutes, you might want to choose random. Supplies are scarce, making ammo, weapons, tools, and gear very precious, and PvP more tense. Conflicts often end with one or both players running out of ammo. Strange vehicles can be seen: armored buses with plows on the front, helicopters made with car doors, yet the ability to scavenge and build your own vehicles still seems like a myth. Strangely, a few player bases can be found scattered about the land, keeping you guessing as to how this happened and how to do it. Be careful with whatever you do, because bugs are rampant, such as dying when getting out a crossbow, or getting in a chopper. Still, Origins will give you tons of fast-paced action gameplay, to keep your heart racing. It will introduce you to things that you have no idea what they are, keeping you guessing and trying to uncover the mystery. The story-driven factor of this game is of intense rivets in the machine of it all, and the players still have yet to find what it is!

Thirsk offers another snowy environment like Namalsk, but a bit less military and more rural. Frequent logging stations are found around Thirsk. In my first gameplay, I ran through the forest a lot in the dark, stumbled upon and airfield and got held up by two young gentlemen. We became friends and were going to ride out on our new motorbike and their ATV when we got teleported by hackers and razed by machineguns before we could move. Was still fun while it lasted, though! It also seems there is only a few spawns very close to eachother. Spawn killing is an issue, but expect to find people to team up with!

Isla Duala is a new African-style DayZ map and offers a change of scenery from the usual maps. African vegetation and wildlife can be found all around Isla Duala, as well as weapons for what is from warfare between countries on the small continent. Sporting a rich lore history, a bunch of players may remember this map, as it claims to be "the most played island on ArmA 2". In DayZ, the map doesn't really match up too well. The engine being an ArmA engine, forests of jungle are difficult to make, as if they are too thick, you can't move through them, but if it's too little, it doesn't look quite right. As in most new DayZ maps, spawns on Duala are a bit messed up, the most common having you swim across a small sound to any sort of useable land, where you can easily spawnkilled (but usually are not). The only spawns are in the southernmost country, which is disappointing. Full of oil fields and military bases, this section looks like desert with a few trees on it. I could see how it would be amazing playing it in regular ArmA, but the value of it in this mod can't really be appreciated. I have yet to make it up to the northernmost country, where it should be very lush and green, and tourist oriented, as PvP encounters are frequent, but actual fighting, more as just seeing others. Full of brown siding building with green doors, players will find themselves frantically trying to lessen their shoulderwidth and fit through the door to get away from zombies chasing them. This is a giant debilitating factor in the map, as military loot spawns mostly in these kinds of buildings, so if you don't go in them, no military loot. On the other hand, you go in them, and you get pinned. This glitch has been around a while, and hopefully in the next update we'll see our characters lose weight so we can actually fit through most doors. All in all, Isla Duala seems pretty good, but for me did not offer much of anything away from Lingor. Players can expect to often find their own objectives in the map. And remember: All pretty pictures of the map were taken in the north!

More when I get to play them (more)!

Edited by Neko-san
  • Like 1

Hang on, new skins are in DayZ origins? Should I expect a MARPAT uniform with a combat helmet?

Edited by WolfOneSix