Sign in to follow this  
skywalker1162

Should zombies only walk ?

Ideally I would like zombies to walk in straight lines. They shouldn't be able to inflict too much damage but should be slightly harder to kill. The payoff is there needs to be swarms of them. So many in fact that once you go into cherno, you could struggle to get out without most routes being blocked by them.

Unfortunately this isn't really possible. So many zombies would bring the server to a grinding halt.

It will be possible in the Standalone. Rocket has already optimized the zombie models, which had 5 segments before, now they have only one. This means that they wont have so detailed faces, eyes and other stuff like that (Which they don't need)

So, prepare for bigger amount of zombies and a huge FPS increase.

Edited by Sutinen

Sorry for my english, but I think if you aggro them, they should start walking torwards you and if you don't lose their LOS in some time,they should start sprinting

Running zombies are awesome.What I hope the SA brings though is spotting infected chasing animals around or getting drinks from water sources.

Three words.

The Walking Dead.

Exactly im talking from comic and show right now. Zombies shouldn't be sprinters but hey they still get a pretty good speed. Even in the first episode when he reaches atlanta that herd got a nice little pace going there are caught up and surrounded a horse

If I remember likely, Rocket was inspired by 28 days later.

Go watch that, then realise how terrifying the idea of running infected is. The very fact they run intensifies the game incredibly, in a city you can't simply run everywhere, too many Zeds and the possibility of being killed by another player makes sneaking vital.

You'd take away the stealth and intensity that this game has strived to create, and inevitably make the game boring.

Exactly im talking from comic and show right now. Zombies shouldn't be sprinters but hey they still get a pretty good speed. Even in the first episode when he reaches atlanta that herd got a nice little pace going there are caught up and surrounded a horse

But the inspiration doesn't come from the walking dead, so that's out the window.

I understand that zombies shouldnt be able to run, and the comment above, that it would be borring if they could only walk, both good points, but it could be fixed with a simple solution, add more zombies with different functions.

Regular zombies shouldnt run, maybe lumping a bit when they try to run, it wont be as fast as sprinting, but also not as slow as walking

Sprinter zombies, skinny zombies that are faster but doesnt have the same amount of health or damage.

Muscle zombies, a big zombie that deals a lot of damage, breaking bones really easy but they cant sprint, maybe just fast walking.

And to make the game even harder, all zombies can only die by a shot to the head, everything else are wasted effort, or atleast makes 10-20% of the damage.

A variety of zombies will fix that problem . But I'm glad people are contributing to this idea . After all this is for the betterment of dayz as a whole .

No way!

Just remove zigzag movement & its all good

Exactly, that's the biggest issue with them right now. Fast or slow, either way they provide different kinds of challenges. But zombies in any form do not dodge. They run, they walk, the shamble and crawl. They eat and kill and growl and vomit nasty crap all over anything, but they do not dodge bullets.

can someone please tell me what is the difference between the "infected" and zombies? zombies are former humans that try to eat normal humans. so what is the difference if they are "infected"?

Zombies are fantastical , supernatural undead beings reanimated by "magic" or some sort of "evil or malevolent force" .

Infected , are humans that have been "infected" by some sort of biological "virus" , and are not actually dead , therefore they are not really "zombies" as such and don't necessarily follow the completely arbitrary rules which govern zombies from stories , movies and games .

The difference is , they are both fantasy , but one is at least based on some sort of scientific premise .

Walking zombies (or infected if you want to call them that) has always been my preference.

However...

In the TV series The Walking Dead, Rick rides into Atlanta on horseback. He stumbles upon a large flock of walkers, and they run after him. It is said in the series that a single walker isn't a problem, but it's when they're flocked up tight together, starving, that they're a real threath.

I thought about this, and I came up with an idea. I think that zombies in DayZ should have some kind of aura, so when they're closer to eachother, their speed would increase. This would be a large problem for the players in the larger cities. The best solution for the player, would be to head out on open land, so that the zombies would spread out, and slow down.