DemonGroover

DayZ SA: One Key One Character

The internet way of life has allowed many people to act/do what ever they please, due to the lack of consequence. The idea of one name, one key, could help place some of that well deserved consequence.

It is an interesting idea that has been brought up before. I think if something like this was put into the game, they could do something like, pay a small amount of $ to get a new character. It would probably make people think a bit more about their actions.

it would likely make people think of who they want to be, that's for sure!. How ever I'm unsure if it should be permanent though.

I like the idea because it forces the player to be responsible and tactile on their decisions. If you want to be "that guy" pretending to be a wounded hero looking for some morphine then sooner or later someone is going to recognize your game is call you on it, then you either have to change your game or hope nobody calls you out in servers for it.

On the other hand if your the kind of player that picks people up in vehicles or saves them from bandits your name will be remembered and (if consistent in your actions) you will become vouched on by other people on the server, or even recognized yourself.

I actually hope rocket does this! BEANS!

• Like 1

good idea in theory.

some folks are incurable idiots/assholes/wankers etc so this would at least help others to avoid the less appealing players. Also there are a lot of really great guys playing, this would be good for them too as imho reputation is everything in dayz as in life, there would have to be a system where only one instance of each name coud be allowed tho to prevent mistaken identity.

I think this a great idea as your username will get a good or bad reputation depending on your actions. Hackers, bandits and good guys will always be remembered. Hopefully we get some sort of leader board on the site so we can see who has survived the longest! :)

The idea of one key one character is cool but I would like to see no leaderboard if it ONLY tracks how many kills you make. Can we maybe create a game where killing people isn't what puts you on top? How about a leaderboard with someone who has great skill in looting, running, surviving, or helping others?

This is actually a really good idea. No disconnecting and coming back with a different name. No changing your name in TS to try and infiltrate other squads as your in-game name will eventually lead to being discovered.

I don't see any reason supporting not doing it aside from the streamers, and I don't think the game should revolve around people streaming after standalone. It was a great tool to this point.

Eh, it's okay but it could be better.

I can understand the whole reason behind it but say if you disliked the Username that you had chosen, you would have to buy a new key and/or go through an incredibly complex means(if possible). What I like about this forum is that you can change your name in the settings a finite times however it's linked to the previous said names therefore there's no chance of anonymity, Runescape has a similar method.

Edited by Frankenstein's Monster

Your thoughts on a what if.

What if in DayZ SA you could only have one character (and therefore one name) per copy of the game.

I'm not actually suggesting this, but what do you think would happen if players had to choose a name and stick with it throughout their DayZ existence? So don't make a spelling mistake!

Would players garner a reputation in game over their actions. For example, you see Sniper_Bandit_LOL on the list so you know that he is a terrible shot and couldn't hit a barn door with a Double Barrel shotgun from 5 yards. You see DemonGroover on the list and you Disconnect quickly due to blind panic.

I'm not sure why i am asking this but it would be interesting to see how players would behave if their actions couldn't be hidden by changing names possibly every Respawn.

Perhaps in SA there wont be a way of knowing someone's name anyway, unless they tell you.

Like i say i am not suggesting this at all, just wondering what might happen.

At the very least a Leaderboard would actually mean something!

Have one character would be fine but if there are 2-3 different difficulty/setups for servers where you can only hope to a server with the same set rules/difficulty then we would need more then one character.

The BIG issue I foresee is server hopping.

Something needs to be done in the SA, because you can't test the loot tables with players able to hop from server to server.

You can't build a server community if everyone just hops around and there is no sense of home.

The number of characters are not an issue if they can't be in the same server cluster.

Ideally you have once character per setup/difficulty and they can only stay in their cluster of servers.

So your looking at 2-3 characters.

If you want more characters then these characters must be restricted to a Home Server.

In this situation you can't server hop.

This means if a friend is on a different server you can jump onto their server but you can't bring your character from the other server. You would have to make a new one.

Now comes the issue with Server population issues if you can only have one per each server.

# of characters are not an issue- it will be Server hoping since this could destroy the DayZ SA economy and community in the server.

I hope Rocket addresses this after they test the Tech/Architecture of the DayZ SA.

With one name per key it would make setting bounties a far easier thing to do. I am aiming to have a functioning town, a "safe zone" that functions as a trading hub and bounties is a thing I am hoping to achieve, with appropriate awards depending on what shit they've done on the same server. In the current way it all is, that is impossible. People can change their name if they wanna do "crazy shit", like run inside Cherno or Elektro with almost a guarantee of death and not have their reputation soiled and at the same time anyone else can use the same name and do all kinds of shit to tarnish a reputation that player has worked hard to achieve.

So yeah, I would support that wholeheartedly. One key, one character, one reputation, one bounty. At the same time, I would love to get a way for bounty hunters to track down which servers a bounty frequents. Make it even harder to be an asshole, you know.

I like it. Coming from a small scale competitive shooter (Metal Gear Online 2) I know what having a reputation can do. You did not want to be labeled as the guy who plays with hackers or boosts his stats because then you'd be the laughing stock reject in the community. But that game also had multiple characters so 'alts' became a big problem at some point.

1 name is enough for a game like DayZ. It does break the immersion of being a fresh survivor each time but that is a small price to pay I think

I like to have more than one character, I have different playstyles at times, One name will be Major Pain as I will go round being a nuisance, another will be Michaelvoodoo who is such a kind player and medic / driver type of play, both with different levels of humanity.

But for ultra hardcore realism, one character would give you something to play for, lots of different facets all rolled into one.

The hole point of the game is to have 1 life, choices should not come down to "because i feel like fucking around" they should matter.

I agree totally with Orlok, the fact your actions matter will make people play more seriously and not just "Troll" and waste others time because "they can change there name"

it takes away the feel of notoriety and consequence, it makes bandits much more interesting because they will be forced to team together, as well as good guys.

Team-play will be valued! + needed to survive, your actions will affect your experience!

its perfect in my opinion

Not a good thing for several reasons.

#1 Those that stream would be absolutely ruined by this.

#2 It puts an unfair disadvantage for players who want to explore different aspects of the game at first.

#3 Rich people will just buy a new copy to get around it. NOT how you want to make sales as it generates controversy.

DayZ is not EVE Online.

#2 It puts an unfair disadvantage for players who want to explore different aspects of the game at first.

#3 Rich people will just buy a new copy to get around it. NOT how you want to make sales as it generates controversy.

DayZ is not EVE Online.

You don't need to be rich, just have a job.

And as for me, I don't care which way it goes I only play with 2 names anyway.

DayZ is not EVE Online.

#1; Why is that? Why would they get ruined? Many people who stream are just complete knobheads anyway. No one watches, or atleast very few do, a player focusing on helping other players. If you stream yourself being a high-risk player for mostly humerous content, then there's no point in hiding your name anyway since you don't build notority, in addition you can easily switch between servers if any kind of problem arises. I don't feel that the VERY few percent being a streamer alone would be sufficient reasoning behind letting the masses be complete assholes and namechange constantly.

#2; No it wouldn't. There's plenty of time for attonement. I've been a bandit, I've killed bambies, I've killed unarmed people. I've done it under the same name ever since the first time, and on many of the same servers. But now I'm playing a hero and feel like I've made some attonement for what I've done in my earlier days of playing when I wasn't sure on what I wanted to do. You can change your style on a whim.

#3; Rich people? 18 dollars or so? That's not even close to being rich. If you have a weekend job you could pay for a fresh game every single day if you so wanted.

You are right, it's not Eve Online, we don't fly spaceships. But even in Eve online you only have a VERY few names per account and most of the time you only play one single character 100% of the time. If you try being a bastard with an untrained character, you usually just get devolved into a frozen corpse floating in space rather quickly since you focus the training on your main character all the time. However, you can keep several accounts for different playstyles.. and that is what DayZ should do aswell.

• Like 1

It would need to have a load period, so that you couldn't just scan a treeline and see tags you've placed, but if you follow a person for 5-10 seconds you could "recognize" them and the tag would start to show until a certain amount of time without line of sight would reset the tag lock. The tag would only be visible if you have clear line of sight of the target for a few seconds. Seeing a head peak from behind a fence would not be enough. And it would only show if you're targeting him intensely enough with enough zoom, not from 500m away while looking at normal zoom.

This is one of the better mechanics I've heard thrown out there. This one deserves to be thought about.

I like the idea, it would be quite a step forward in my opinion. Making you accountable for your actions to a degree.

Then on the other hand following up on what boxy0127 said, it would affect the gameplay of known streamers maybe too much. In general anonymity is a huge drive for the game.

I'm kind of torn between my opinion about it. On one hand the dispensability of your life in this game calls for some form of uniformed profile to be instilled on players. While on the other hand the choice to remain anonymous at your discretion is quite an important aspect of DayZ.

I would actually throw in a wild suggestion in the mix and hopefully get some feedback on it:

-What if other players could tag you if they saw you.

In dayz the avatars we have are extremely generic so telling people apart is virtually impossible, but in reality we have an innate ability to read faces and body language of other people. Very few people behave the same and it's not difficult to tell people apart through that. So what if, when you saw someone, where ever it was, you could add a tag to a player like: "bob_the_drunk" and then when ever you saw that players that tag would show to you.

It would need to be fine tuned to not provide advantage to anyone:

It would need to have a load period, so that you couldn't just scan a treeline and see tags you've placed, but if you follow a person for 5-10 seconds you could "recognize" them and the tag would start to show until a certain amount of time without line of sight would reset the tag lock. The tag would only be visible if you have clear line of sight of the target for a few seconds. Seeing a head peak from behind a fence would not be enough. And it would only show if you're targeting him intensely enough with enough zoom, not from 500m away while looking at normal zoom.

My 2 cents, tell me what you think.

I like this, quoting it again for more exposure

I like the idea, it would be quite a step forward in my opinion. Making you accountable for your actions to a degree.

[...]

I would actually throw in a wild suggestion in the mix and hopefully get some feedback on it:

-What if other players could tag you if they saw you.

In dayz the avatars we have are extremely generic so telling people apart is virtually impossible, but in reality we have an innate ability to read faces and body language of other people. Very few people behave the same and it's not difficult to tell people apart through that. So what if, when you saw someone, where ever it was, you could add a tag to a player like: "bob_the_drunk" and then when ever you saw that players that tag would show to you.

It would need to be fine tuned to not provide advantage to anyone:

My 2 cents, tell me what you think.

I fully agree with this idea. In real life you do not know anybodys name until they tell you. From that moment on you know this person as (s)he told you. So tag system described above should be good.

Also, I agree with 1-key-1-name idea. But if there are many ppl that like to change their names, please at least give option to "register" name so no one else can use it. It'd be great if your actions will affect how other survivors react to you in future.

Great idea, 1 name per game, though there should be the option to change it once for free, any time after that should cost some £££

I like the idea, it would mean people would get used to how people behave. In the rare instance something bad happens like a hacked account that person could be seen doing something out of the ordinary for their personality.

I also like the system used in Star Trek Online which shows username@character name.. so even if the char name was changed, it would show the same user.

Edited by disorder