Slamz

Dying of thirst in a rainstorm next to a well

Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

So, yeah, that shouldn't happen.

We should be able to drink directly from wells and being in a downpour should refill our thirst-meter.

Or you could just carry around a water bottle...

I imagine it like this, the water bottle is one of the ones with a filter on the top and the water from all sources, is dirty. Too dirty to drink, hence you need to filter.

And have you ever had a nice hearty drink from rain? No. I haven't.

We no longer start with water bottles. In fact' date=' I'd run from the beach, cleared a castle, two deer stands and a village (numerous spawns including the large barn) and didn't get a single bottle or soda.

There was an obvious pump well in town but I couldn't use it.

I imagine it like this, the water bottle is one of the ones with a filter on the top and the water from all sources, is dirty. Too dirty to drink, hence you need to filter.

And the reason we can run forever is because we are actually aliens from Omicron-7, disguised as puny humans. The mighty Omicronians have no shortage of stamina! This also explains why we aren't infected by the zombie virus: because we aren't humans.

You can come up with all sorts of nonsense explanations to cover gaps in the game design but it's probably more sensible to close the gap. Not being able to drink from wells is an oversight from the days of everyone starting with water bottles.

I see you don't go outdoors very often. In a light rain, you'll struggle but there are any number of common tools to help -- gutters, roofs in general, pieces of tarp, large leaves... basically you can quench your thirst easily enough in a rain using items so common that it's probably not worth representing them in a game. In a downpour (like the one I was in), your hands would work well enough.

So again we can invent outlandish explanations (Omicronians do not drink water! Water bottles actually transmute it into bleach, which we do drink...) OR we could maybe just address an obvious oversight.

I think the point is that no dehydrated, but otherwise healthy person, could ever die of thirst in a rain storm. And to answer your question, yes, I wrung out my watch cap and gloves into a cup.

Slamz I wrote a long suggestion about water sources a long time ago that went largely unnoticed, check my sig for the link.

We no longer start with water bottles. In fact' date=' I'd run from the beach, cleared a castle, two deer stands and a village (numerous spawns including the large barn) and didn't get a single bottle or soda.

[/quote']

There's your problem, and hence the games problem. You didn't kill yourself and respawn until you ended up at Cherno or Elecktro to go loot or kill people there.

Only viable strategy in the game and that is what needs to be fixed. Perhaps by your suggestion as a small part.

RiKShaw, I know that's how you justify it personally, but I don't think thats right, Otherwise, you'd be able to fill up from the ocean too.

What do you think of this as an idea:

~Why not have the Water Bottle as a three/two charge item. Because I certainly don't drink 1.5 Litres of water in one gulp.

You still cannot drink directly from Wells, rain will rehydrate character to 10%/15% hydration, because rain is refreshing, but you cant survive on it alone.

More common items have more uses:

~Use an empty tin can as a cup/water billy for drinking from Wells and freshwater ponds, but it does not store water. (Can only hold water near fresh source.)

~Ability to fill and store an empty whiskey bottle from a pond or well. Turns it into a single charge item.

-So the pro for carrying a waterbottle is multiple charges before refilling. Con is that there are no other inate abilities to item.

-Pro for carrying an empty tin can is that it allows you to drink fresh water directly, also a zombie distractor (Retrievable). Con is that you still have to go to a fresh water source to drink.

-Pro for carrying an empty whiskey bottle is that it can be filled with one charge of water & is also a zombie distractor. Con No multiple charges, bottle cannot be recovered after thrown (broken).

Thoughts? It makes the game more realistic without making it easy.

Or you could just let people drink from water pumps. There is no reason this should not be allowed, although there probably should be less water pumps available (maybe only in mountain villages) because of ground contamination from all the dead bodies!

I appreciate that there is added stress from not starting with much, but if you make it to a town and safely approach a water pump you should be able to drink.

[/quote']

There's your problem, and hence the games problem. You didn't kill yourself and respawn until you ended up at Cherno or Elecktro to go loot or kill people there.

Only viable strategy in the game and that is what needs to be fixed. Perhaps by your suggestion as a small part.

I have never been to Cherno (other than the outskirts) and i've only been to elektro twice, i've been playing for just over a week now and I can go from spawn to pimped out with full gear in about 3-5 hours.

You absolutely do not have to go to Cherno/elektro at the start, infact doiing so is a massive risk. Going to a castle so early on is also a massive risk. You should loot 3-4 of the small to mid size towns + barns inland before you even consider it.

Agree'd.

And this whole logging in with blinking hunger and thirst should be addressed too.

Pro tip: make sure you have food and water in your inventory/pack before you log out. I always carry 2x food and 2x water. log in drink one go hunting to refil meat supply or water bottle or go to barn/town in search of tinned food/soda. if that fails you always have that backup. incase you need to log and do it all over again.

I imagine it like this' date=' the water bottle is one of the ones with a filter on the top and the water from all sources, is dirty. Too dirty to drink, hence you need to filter.

[/quote']

except you will almost never find an empty water bottle anymore and dont spawn with one.

[/quote']

I have never been to Cherno (other than the outskirts) and i've only been to elektro twice, i've been playing for just over a week now and I can go from spawn to pimped out with full gear in about 3-5 hours.

You absolutely do not have to go to Cherno/elektro at the start, infact doiing so is a massive risk. Going to a castle so early on is also a massive risk. You should loot 3-4 of the small to mid size towns + barns inland before you even consider it.

I can survive cherno or elektro with nothing, just sprint in, attract the horde, run into a fire station and kill off the zombies with the gun you find. No one shoots you because then they have to deal with that horde.

I've also survived in Cherno with nothing, just dont flare yourself up.

I agree with this. I ran from electro to cherno to balota airfield to NW airfield searching every town/farm inbetween and only found 1 can of pepsi (from a dead zombie). I found 7 dead people and searched all their bodies and didn't find a single canister or an of drink. I eventually died of thirst :(. They really need to fix this by increasing coke/canister spawn rates, start off with a canister (empty or full) or be able to drink from wells, pumps and/or ponds.

Give us the ability to store water in broken whisky bottles/empty tin cans FOR A SHORT WHILE(just so we are able to drink from a well/lake).

Could perhaps add a chance to get an infection from drinking this dirty water from those items?

OT: Good suggestion, but why didn't you had at least one water bottle?

Please increase canteen spawn rate. Just ran from Rog castle to "Factory" to Berezino found no drinks on the way. Checked 20+ "sheds", the ones with 2 rooms that spawn industrial loot, 15+ barns\cowsheds, 6 red multistory apartment buildings, school, 2 grocery stores, around 10 houses and found no soda or empty/full canteens. This is just ridiculous. We need more drinks !! Even found 2 dead bodies in Berezino with decent gear but no water. Or at least let us drink directly from wells/ponds.

Water bottles spawn is pretty high if you know where to find them... They are mainly empty but it's easy to find a lake/well/fountain to refill them. Check online maps.

( like this one http://avidblur.com/arma2/ )

Water bottles spawn is pretty high if you know where to find them... They are mainly empty but it's easy to find a lake/well/fountain to refill them. Check online maps.

( like this one http://avidblur.com/arma2/ )

Check my post, if the spawn rate is fine why did I die from thirst?

Not finding ANY water bottle or soda cans... seriously? They are pretty much everywhere.

If you got rid of your water bottle, you can only blame yourself :D

The inability to find a water bottle is irrelevant. We should be able to drink from wells because drinking from wells makes sense, as does not dying of thirst in a rainstorm.

First of all, loot spawning in 1.7.1 is messed up so things should spawn correctly pretty soon. That being said...

Drinking from a well.. I like that idea. (If the water's safe)

Drinking from the ocean.. Good luck with that... nix

Needing a cup.. Don't like it.. There should be tons of household implements that don't need to be found (cups, forks, can openers, etc...) I don't want to search for crap that should be lying around everywhere. (Even knives are a stretch.. Seriously, broken glass is enough to butcher a kill, kitchen knives should be everywhere)

Whisky Bottles are said to be broken

Boiling water/Cooking food: Disinfect your water/food to make sure you don't catch the infection. Boiling could be done with the canteen. (no pot required) Not disinfecting your food should give a chance of getting infected.

Why not add a filter that goes in the utilities slot that drops as a medical supply?