Moonan

Anyone else having massive problems getting Day Z to work?

I'm literally so confused it's pissin me off lol Around like 1.5ish or 1.6ish in the alpha everything was straight forward and easy. Go to the download page, download the rars. Unpack. Play.

Now we have this launcher everyone is focusing on that to me is completely terrible, it does not come with enough instructions.

There's a beta. A beta TO AN ALREADY ALPHA.

Everyone is playing something different. This is getting out of control. How does one play Day Z? Like really.

Wouldn't I need to just go here http://cdn.armafiles.info/ and download the files, unload them in my @dayz -> addons folder, and then launch the game with DayZ selected? Yet it won't work. What's going on.

Six Updater is fairly simple to use.. Select a server which has the highest version number e.g. right now it's 1.7.1.1 and click on it. Then the big button at the side will go orange and say UPDATE. Click it, done :D

I can't really find anywhere that tells me what the right directory paths are when installing. I mean I figure I chose the right one but it still doesn't work so I don't know what the problem is. Retail version.

I keep getting the "Error creating 3D 9" when I try to launch the alpha now.

The only solutions I can fiond are for the Steam version and not the retail.

I've been totally avoiding using the Six Updater thing - I've been unpacking required files manually. I did try the Updater - and ran into problems. So I stopped poking at it and stayed with the method that seems to work for me.

Further to the Updater - it was horribly late at night, I was super tired and mostly on the way to a drunken stupor. I cannot discount user-error yet :)

I unistall my game. I will try again when someone do a tutorial. That actually works.

This is what I dont understand:

http://i47.tinypic.com/aayps8.jpg

1. Where is this Launch Options Tab? Navigate to it how...where is it? Steam?

2. Browse the Beta directory where? In my arma folder, on the steam interface within the Launch Options Tab? Where.

3. Locate Beta in OA/CO > expansions > Beta. Again, where is this found? How is it navigated to...in the steam client within the library? Where?

4. Select this location for the both beta locations in the launcher. Well...the only launcher Im using is steam, so what does this mean and where is it?

EDIT: for spelling failures.

This is what I dont understand:

http://i47.tinypic.com/aayps8.jpg

1. Where is this Launch Options Tab? Navigate to it how...where is it? Steam?

2. Browse the Beta directory where? In my arma folder' date=' on the steam interface within the Launch Options Tab? Where.

3. Locate Beta in OA/CO > expansions > Beta. Again, where is this found? How is it navigated to...in the steam client within the library? Where?

4. Select this location for the both beta locations in the launcher. Well...the only launcher Im using is steam, so what does this mean and where is it?

[/quote']

The above settings are found in the Arma 2 launcher 'Spirited Machine'. It's a stand-alone piece of software that launches Arma 2 - separate to Steam. If you are using Steam to launch Arma 2, don't follow the above instructions.

If you are using Steam to launch Arma 2' date=' don't follow the above instructions.

[/quote']

I am using steam, updated to the latest patch rev, executed/ installed it and I still cant join any servers. Man oh man.

OK, some screes from my retail ArmA2/CO build.

I use SpiritedMachines ArmAII Launcher.

The game is in the default C drive.

ArmAIILauncher.png

ArmAIILauncher-1.png

You can see the game & beta path lines along the bottom.

The first thing to remember is that you do not need Steam running to open the game, once you have started ArmA2 & CO separately as noted in the guides

The only thing that will change if you use a Steam purchase is the path.

Although this is a screen taken from a previous DayZ build the addons remain fundamentally the same...

dayzfiles.png

I personally use and recommend ArmAII Launcher and have been using it for years.

I hope this will help someone.

Thanks.