Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

How do you make this game look good?

http://s14.postimage...01_13_00001.jpg

Everything is turned up but AA is off as for some reason my FPS goes to like 20 in towns with 670SLI and a Core I7 980 and AA makes it even worse, so I keep that off. However I've turned FXAA sharp on as it gives the best alternative results and I've turned Post Processing off because it makes the game even more uglier.

I just don't get how to make the game look good, when you disconnect and you get shown that moving render of where you are without all the Dayz stuff, the game suddenly looks great, there is no fog and the colours are much more vibrant and there is more detail.

I don't understand while in Dayz or the multiplayer it looks so bad.

Edit: Is there a way to turn off fog?

Edited by Miffy

Your FPS problems are caused because of your processor.

ARMA 2 is very poorly optimized and has extra problems with the i7 series.

Edit; No, no way to turn off fog, as it's something to simulate weather and limit everyone's view distance to the same value.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

damn I saw some thing about those 1366 i7s and there was something you needed to turn off, one of the features in the cpu or something and it basically gives you better performance, i'll come back and post if I find it.

Oh it was pretty simple, I found it, some guy did a benchmark of like 200 CPUs on Arma, he also tested an i7 and said above his benchmark to turn off hyperthreading and it gives like 20% better performance

Also his benchmark with the i7 980 only got 22fps, but he had all settings maxed like you, I don't think it's a CPU problem more of your choice of settings, turn down draw distance to like 1600, I'm pretty sure the fog stops you looking past 700 meters anyway, so don't put it on 10,000 because even a GTX 690 and 2 xeons would have trouble getting smooth FPS on that setting.

oh and use PX AA or whatever it's called in the options, it's barely drops any frames compared to normal AA

Edited by Bradley_Whelan

I found it, some guy did a benchmark of like 200 CPUs on Arma, he also tested an i7

can u link him please :rolleyes:

ty :thumbsup:

Edited by NoCheats

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/778-11/arma-2.html

it's in french but the benchmark is english, google chrome translate ftw?

he ran these like 2 years ago so these days you might see better performance, but the i7 980 is the best CPU he benchmarked and it only hit 22fps, which was also the highest FPS out of every CPU

the only reason is because of AA set to max and 10km draw distance, otherwise you'd get a decent frame rate

• Like 1

Oh it was pretty simple, I found it, some guy did a benchmark of like 200 CPUs on Arma, he also tested an i7 and said above his benchmark to turn off hyperthreading and it gives like 20% better performance.

I'll try this too. I always thought my performance in ArmA seemed a bit 'meh' compared to how well I run other games. Thanks.

http://www.hardware....-11/arma-2.html

it's in french but the benchmark is english, google chrome translate ftw?

he ran these like 2 years ago so these days you might see better performance, but the i7 980 is the best CPU he benchmarked and it only hit 22fps, which was also the highest FPS out of every CPU

the only reason is because of AA set to max and 10km draw distance, otherwise you'd get a decent frame rate

ty... use I7 2600k, looks like I did all well.

Use over-rendering instead of AA, its better and about the same cost. Basically put 3d res on 114%, turn off AA, post processing and atoc

That's kinda ugly. I have AA and post processing disabled, Shadow and HDR to Normal and everything rest to Max.

Make sure resolution and 3D resolution are the same.

Also that looks pretty horrible ahah

resolution always on 1920 x 1080. It is only all displays, nothing more. It looks better if all the symbols are small. Nothing to do with performance.

3D resolution must be same OR smaller. Don´t forget to start game again after changing.

@ OP

change 3d resolution to 1440 x 810. You should have always more than 60 fps.

View distance etc all @ max. Nothing disabled.

Edited by NoCheats

I have an i5 (not the same as yours :( ), my resolution is 1920x1080, I haven't changed any of the graphics settings and it looks pretty good for me.

Well FrankieonPCin1080p had like an i7 750 with a 680 and he was getting like 50fps inside cherno on most max settings(while recording), just turn down render distance and used an alternative to AA

he now uses a 3770k and a 690 but yeah...

I have a core2duo from like 2008 lol, I get like 10fps inside cherno, I just put up with it XD, cant wait to upgrade though (I have an ati 6850)

I'm not turning off Hyperthreading for a game, means I then have to keep going in the BIOS to enable it all the time when I want to do something that isn't running on a shit engine.

Seriously why don't they stop making their own engines and just work on Cry Engine 3, Crytek have made an engine that uses modern features... when I say modern like 64bit and HT are well over 6 years old now.

Edited by Miffy

The "fog" is most likely in relation to the restricted draw distance of the game. Adjusting your draw distance ain't gonna do anything to that (within the DayZ MOD). Its set at 1000M for most the servers I've seen, there are a few that went in on private hives and adjusted it. They did it to combat long-guns from what I understand. The fog is Armas way of trying to make the game look pretty without taxing your system if it can't handle it - but its DayZs way of saying "Helll no snake - you can get that 1600M shot because I won't allow you to see!"

Embrace the fog - if they are barely within rendering range you know you got a 900Mish shot. Half way 500M you get the picture ... makes for fast ass range estimation to get ya in the ball park if you ever get caught with your pants down.

TY for the link to CPUs and how they handled it.

Some additional tips I used to make the game run smoothly on my 4 year old laptop :

* if you don't have a ssd you should not set object details to max setting, it kills performance.

* using ultimatedefrag and use it to set the game directories in a high speed region of your hdd might help

* try set resolution to 150%, or use AA. I think your GPU can handle that.

* shadows always on high (uses GPU) not medium (uses CPU)

Seriously why don't they stop making their own engines and just work on Cry Engine 3, Crytek have made an engine that uses modern features... when I say modern like 64bit and HT are well over 6 years old now.

They're making their own engine because it would be silly to spend billions re-developing the most authentic ballistic physics in another engine when you already have an engine that does that.