combatcomm1

Rocket - Improvised splints for broken legs?

So, enjoying 1.7.1. A zombie smacked me while he was glitched inside a shed in the middle of the woods outside of pusta. Broke my leg, concussion, blood loss out the wazoo. Managed to control everything else but am currently crawling my jacked up ass back to chernagorsk to look for morphine.

Got me thinking. WOULD BE AWSEOME, to use them wood piles plus some cloth, fabric, plastic tubing, any other comparible loot as a makeshift splint.

This would than allow the player to WALK and WALK only upright slowly. Maybe even with pain SFX to indicate. Just another additional treatment option for those of us who just raided a hospital but said "I hardly ever break my leg" <------ Dumbass

Im with you on this one, that feature would be cool and I like how you can only walk, and it is possible to make a splint on yourself, definitly signed and put into my list of favorites.

Signed +1

EDIT: How about making morphine just work temporarily for broken bones, and after 10 minutes it stops working and ur down on the ground, while this could be the "permanent" solution, cuz it seems more realistic, for example: Combine Pile of Woods with Bandage = Splinter

Apply splinter, then you can only WALK as u said, but for an amount of 1 hour in real time, ofc you can be outlogged during this time. But then after 1 hour you should be able to run normally, and you should be rid of the broken bone signature, just a idea my GF told me to post. Seems realistic and awesome enough :)

People don't realize how shitty a broken leg is now that you spawn without morphine.

Although it is probably the rarest medical issue you face in DAYZ it is the most frustrating. Trust me. I crawled alllllllll the way back to chern from pusta. Took exactly 2 hours. Found the hospital and than BAM! dead.

Dont let this happen to you. Post your thoughts so rocket implements a system where splints heal after an hour but you can only walk. And morphine gives you a 15 minute boost.

People don't realize how shitty a broken leg is now that you spawn without morphine.

Although it is probably the rarest medical issue you face in DAYZ it is the most frustrating. Trust me. I crawled alllllllll the way back to chern from pusta. Took exactly 2 hours. Found the hospital and than BAM! dead.

Dont let this happen to you. Post your thoughts so rocket implements a system where splints heal after an hour but you can only walk. And morphine gives you a 15 minute boost.

omg please! +1

I was crawling inside a house on a coastal village, while I was crawling there I broke a bone, I do not know how(BUG), I had no morphine, I start to crawl to cherno, I took 20 mins and I knew that I was very far...

result = respawn

=´(

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sooo plus one. For both the splint (wood pile + bandage) and the temporary morphine fix. Last time I checked morphine was a temporary pain reliver, not a wonder cure.

+1

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sooo plus one. For both the splint (wood pile + bandage) and the temporary morphine fix. Last time I checked morphine was a temporary pain reliver' date=' not a wonder cure.

+1

[/quote']

Nor would you be able to splint a broken leg with a pile of wood and a bandage. Making a crutch however would be a better solution, as an improvised splint really wont do a lot of good unless it immobilises the whole leg, and thats from foot to hip.

EDIT: SPLELLING

This would work well and Its realistic.

I wonder, where else could the use of combining items like this could be used in this game?

I crawled alllllllll the way back to chern from pusta. Took exactly 2 hours. Found the hospital and than BAM! dead.

electro is closer to pusta -_-

but seriously having a torch a bandage and so little food is just plain asking to get killed atm.

the only people who uses a torch is ones who wants to be shot...

i know weapons arnt hard to find in this game but there is almost always spawn killer around spawn area and without a weapon is just fail.

then there is the morphine. although i am careful not to break my bones due to my oh too many death due to thinking i can just jump 30cm without breaking my bones. I die.. give us at least 1 morphine and 1 painkiller.

This thread made me think...which can be a scary thought. Morphine is a serious pain killer and sedative...why do we need pills as well?

Obviously I know the difference between pain pills and morphine, but in a zombie apocalype where your life expectancy is only 30-35 (According to the DayZ site), why not just hop yourself up on morphine, fall asleep in a ditch, get eatten by zombies while laughing and call it a day?

This. Splints are a huge part of survival and I remember spending a lot of time on learning and training to make and use splints. This needs to be done for sure. I think using wood combined with bandages could make splint. +1

i like this a lot, but possibly take it a step further? if morphine is a temp fix, then a splint should be too. (allowing for better mobility, but still not entirely OK) the combo of morphine and a splint should bring you to full mobility, but what about another item, say a brace or cast material that (like a blood bag) requires a 2nd person to assist you (more team play) once you put a cast on the leg (which should take 30sec to 1min game time) you can crawl, full fast/slow crouch, and slow walk... after 10-30 min of playtime with the cast applied, the leg heals and you can remove the cast whenever you want to get full mobility back! the cast would be a rare spawn item, appearing only in hospitals. Oh and to make sure the cast isnt the only way to get better... with a splint/morphine after 30min-45min playtime you should heal fully (for people without friends)

At the current rate of which I'm seeing people's legs get broken I'm going to give the whole morphine as a temporary solution to broken legs a -1.

There should be the implementation of a "DIY unlegbreaker" like has been mentioned, but no change needs to be made to morphine.

If you wanted a harder permanent solution in the current state of the game, consider this first:

If a health-based range (say below 5000-6000) made you prone (ha-ha) to having your legs broken by Zombies, and anything above that threshold you can only cause to yourself (fall damage), then I'd give it a +1.

As it stands, a few mates of mine play with mil-grade weapons, health rarely below 10k (unless we're in an intense situation) and have suffered broken legs on many "first hits" received from Zombies, even though we are full or just shy of full health!

You are all saying that you want it to be realistic. And yet you want morphine to temorarily fix your broken bone? wtf. This is a shit idea imo and should not be implemented. A broken bone is the most annoying thing that can happen to a player in this game and morphine is hard enough to get as it is.

We need a self-interaction way to set our own bones even WITHOUT morphine or wood because of all the game bugs that cause broken bones.

So, as an alternative to using morphine/splint, if you don't have them, you can set your own broken bone but it takes a minute to do and your character screams the whole time, making it dangerous to do in a gunfight, or an infested area.

Also, maybe you need painkillers after. Just a thought.

I like the splint idea and the that of an improvised crutch. Both doable in a real survival situation with fairly basic materials.

However if you want it to be realistic this type of injury is going to affect your mobility for weeks. Not a good thing during the zombie apocalypse.

Magic morphine is great for a game but is utter fantasy if you seek realism...

Its a game people. Implement realistic as possible mechanics. Your character wouldent even survive the length of time for real bones to heal. So comon....

YESSSSSSS!!!!! Im sick of spawning in somplace remote and getting kneecapped and spending the next 30 mins crawling to a town that doesn't have morphine. You should start with stuff for a splint, and it should take considerably longer to fix

Hi, newer player here but I'd just like to suggest that you be allowed to make a splint for broken bones with bandages and fire wood. Lets face it, its hard to get to a hospital and a broken bone is a death sentence.

Not to mention Morphine fixing bones doesn't make a whole lot of sense.