Sign in to follow this  
Waffenator

DayZ Server Oversupply?

Do we have any economists in the room?

No? Good, lets talk about them. :-)

What determines oversupply of servers is relative as just because a server has 50 slots does not mean the average player is looking for a server either at or near capacity.

However, there is no shortage of empty servers, and that would be a definitive sign of an oversupply of servers... unless we want to accept that servers have peak time periods. For arguments sake, say a server has about 14 to 16 hours of peak time per day with 10 to 8 hours of off peak.

Given the above and modified as you see fit do you think there are too many servers out there?

Now, lets narrow it down, what is the standard expectation of a server for the average player?

Either a highly active admin-ed server or a whitelist server or both. When we have actively admin-ed our server we have had hackers but we have never had repeat hackers as far as we know. Hacking usually only becomes a problem for us when we are a mid to high populated server.Therefore, if we were to get serious about hosting, then it would seem nearly impossible not to use a whitelisted server if we were expected to run at 40 plus concurrent players everyday...as at that level, there seems to be about a 50% chance of getting hacked for a non white listed server per day...that is not a scientifically proven number, just an observation so any feedback is appreciated.

So, lets assume, that the average player is looking for a server with between 5 and 30 players with the outliers on the low side due to they are just starting out on a new server and many like to do that alone or with a low pop if they do not have a good deal of game experience.

WIth those numbers, the non white-listed server probably faces between a 5 and 50 percent chance of being hacked on any given day. Opinions?

Now, on the otherhand, if a server admin has the responsible goal of creating a solid server then they are not going to be able to effectively admin it without a few tools.

1. For example, its important to be able to parse log files in real time and a lot of server hosts do not allow this functionality. In fact those that do not I would not consider hosting with, as from experience being with a host like that makes watching the logs a pain in the butt.

2. Bliss seems to be key...a bliss server offers a great deal of tools to the admin not available on many hosts.

3. When we started hosting our DayZ server it was done because a few of us wanted to have fun. This is the utterly wrong approach, and you will not end up having any fun if you do not know how to effectively admin your server and have the people dedicated there to do it. I strongly caution to only host a DayZ server if you can enable white listing and have a staff to run it correctly. Doing anything less is like letting your children go to a convention where all the attendees arrive in vans with candy.

So, my final question is, is there an oversupply or under-supply of whitelisted and heavily adminned servers who act responsibly towards their player base and not just the inside group? Is there a timezone/map/configuration sweet spot in the market that is likely to be popular with a healthy player base?

I am not really asking anyone to answer this question on my behalf however, if you are considering hosting a DayZ server I would sincerely hope you would ask yourselves those same questions.

There is a preponderance of servers hosted by people and groups who have no business doing so because they do not have either the talent or dedication to do so properly. Please do not be one of those people.

it imposible to make privet hive with more then 5 player avarage at this time.

Why is it impossible? What about groups such as Dayzland ?

i maik server.

avarage players 24hour??? 2

two avarage players

three players peak

for 3 weeks now

impossible.

How long has it been up? Is it named? Do you promote it? Is it linked in your signature on these forums and others? Do you have a FB, Youtube, Twitter, G+, etc etc etc for it????

I've been the admin of a group of friends server for a couple months now and we've gone from like 1000th to 525th in the past month or two....

You have to have it up and running for a good amount of time before you'll get constant consistent traffic, even then you're going to have empty hours...

I started a second Taviana Private hive and it hasn't gotten anywhere near the traffic the Public Chernarus Server does but it will with time.

You can't expect to buy a server and have a population of 20-30 people on it all the time after a week or two... hell you can't really expect that even after a month or two unless you've got some kind of celeb status or something.

i maik server.

avarage players 24hour??? 2

two avarage players

three players peak

for 3 weeks now

impossible.

Fucken lols. Appropriate username.

Hello there

I do think that there are many "gamers" out there who have hired a server because they thought it would be "fun"/"cool" and are dissapointed by the experience.

Low player numbers, script kiddies and general maintanence headaches to name but a few issues are going to be common bugbears for those unprepared for the realities of being a SA.

Just throwing cash at something and expecting it to "work" just isn't the way,

Like any hobby you have to put alot in to get anything out.

Rgds

LoK