ado4334

Explain to me the Dayz standalone please

So I was planning to purchase Arma 2 and then get the Dayz mod, but i've been told to wait for the 'standalone'.

Can somebody please explain to me what this means, where i can get info on it, when it is released, price etc.

Will it be an exact copy of Dayz mod or will it be improved, so worth waiting to get it rather than just buyign Arma 2 and downloading the free mod.

PC knowledge limited and i don't knowing anyhting on day z, so even if you feel stupid posting basic things im all ears.

Thanks in advance.

DayZ standalone will be a full game, Better than DayZ mod... That's basically all we know. If you want to see more progress there's alot of post made by rocket that show the progress of the game. Everything else are just rumors that people spreaded(is that even a word!?!?!?) to get more views.

Edit: Go in the section DayZ Announcements and look for rocket's posts.

Edited by falcon2500

DayZ standalone will be a full game, Better than DayZ mod... That's basically all we know. If you want to see more progress there's alot of post made by rocket that show the progress of the game. Everything else are just rumors that people spreaded(is that even a word!?!?!?) to get more views.

Edit: Go in the section DayZ Announcements and look for rocket's posts.

Thanks a lot i appreciate you replying. In what ways will it be better? and does anyone know a rough date it will be released?

• Like 1

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Check out the dev blog and what to look forward to. Keep in mind Day Z is a mod built on 2 games essentially. Moving this to a standalone will improve features, security, performance, and well basically make it a much more enjoyable game overall. It will still use a hyrbid arma 2 engine but it will be built from the ground up for Day Z. Faster loading etc and better use of persistent database with secure back end. Removing all the data from the client and putting it on the server side to reduce hacking etc. Plenty of things the stand alone will improve on just by being a standalone from the ground up.

yes all we know is that it could be delayed until 2013 but is suppose to come out by the end of this month , and rocket has not said a word on it since his update (about the warz talk) .

It's very easy to deduce with the recent happenings with Bohemia and everything else that the game will be delayed. Whoever actually thought it would ship this year must have been very optimistic. Let this game mature slowly without the pressure. It will be good when it's done but there is no need to rush this. Day Z is still a better game than War Z will ever be and the people who purchased Carrier Command are still waiting for a proper patch to fix the garbage pathing etc in that game. Plenty of things to do over there. State of Decay is also only single player so aside from War Z there isn't much to worry about. No other developer has an engine that can handle maps this big either. Ball is still easily in their court at Bohemia. It made for an entertaining holidays that is for sure. I didn't sleep two days watching the War z stuff. Rocket needs to have some rum and coke and relax. Nobody is going to roll in and steal Day Z. Anyone else that is capable of such a game would be too afraid to even try and produce and market it. 15 bucks for DayZ and Arma 2 is a steal really. Both games are good and offer something nobody else does.

Since the Standalone have missed it's intended target date, 2012, I've gone from wanting it as soon as possible, to wanting them to release a playable and well defined product, so reviewers and players alike knows what to expect.

Thanks for responses. What is WarZ? And you think it will ocme out January?

Actually why not buying ArmA II: Combined Operations? It's really awesome, play Co-op with your friends and enjoy a realistic military simulator and do almost everything you want.

• Like 4

Actually why not buying ArmA II: Combined Operations? It's really awesome, play Co-op with your friends and enjoy a realistic military simulator and do almost everything you want.

Is it as good as day z? and i odn t really see the point of paying for arma 2 to play dayz if a better version is going to be released in like 4 weeks

Is it as good as day z? and i odn t really see the point of paying for arma 2 to play dayz if a better version is going to be released in like 4 weeks

So let's start from scratch again, seems like you didn't understand it well.

1. ArmA II is a game made by Bohemia Interactive. ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead is another military simulation game made a few years later after the ArmA II release (it's also a separate game). Both of these games (if installed in the same directory) make up ArmA II: Combined Operations.

2. ArmA II: Combined Operations is a military simulation game (reminder), and "Rocket", the creator of the DayZ mod, found it nice for creating a mod on this engine. The mod ended up in a zombie survival game, that "touched" many gamer hearts.

3. Since the mod is unstable and buggy, there are a lot of hackers and glitches, "Rocket" decided to make a standalone game from the mod. The DayZ Game will be released in 2013 (IMHO).

But, what's the point of buying ArmA II: CO? It's made exclusively for PC, it's very easy to mod it, and it became a perfect engine for the DayZ mod. The DayZ mod is free, but ArmA II: CO is not. Why not spend like $15 for buying a such interesting game, and enjoy the simulation?

So let's start from scratch again, seems like you didn't understand it well.

1. ArmA II is a game made by Bohemia Interactive. ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead is another military simulation game made a few years later after the ArmA II release (it's also a separate game). Both of these games (if installed in the same directory) make up ArmA II: Combined Operations.

2. ArmA II: Combined Operations is a military simulation game (reminder), and "Rocket", the creator of the DayZ mod, found it nice for creating a mod on this engine. The mod ended up in a zombie survival game, that "touched" many gamer hearts.

3. Since the mod is unstable and buggy, there are a lot of hackers and glitches, "Rocket" decided to make a standalone game from the mod. The DayZ Game will be released in 2013 (IMHO).

But, what's the point of buying ArmA II: CO? It's made exclusively for PC, it's very easy to mod it, and it became a perfect engine for the DayZ mod. The DayZ mod is free, but ArmA II: CO is not. Why not spend like $15 for buying a such interesting game, and enjoy the simulation?

Ah ok that is clear to me now i didn't know all the different ArmA 2 variatents. So at the moment, everyone who plays Dayz has bought ArmA 2 CO and has downloaded the free mod??

So say i buy ArmA2 CO off steam what do i do to get day z? ( again, sorry formy basic knowledge of my pc) i used 'can i run it' and it says i can run arma 2

Ah ok that is clear to me now i didn't know all the different ArmA 2 variatents. So at the moment, everyone who plays Dayz has bought ArmA 2 CO and has downloaded the free mod??

So say i buy ArmA2 CO off steam what do i do to get day z? ( again, sorry formy basic knowledge of my pc) i used 'can i run it' and it says i can run arma 2

You buy ArmA: II CO on Steam, then you download the mod from the websites and follow some instructions regarding the installing of the DayZ mod for ArmA: II CO (I don't know how to install it on Steam, because I've bought the disk from a store, and installed the game manually).

What's the best thing - you pay just $15, and you get two full games (ArmA II: and ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead), and a cool mod reflecting realistic zombie survival, you play them all online and you may even get more mods for ArmA II: CO to improve the quality of your gameplay. I never regretted that I paid these money, because it's so entertaining!

• Like 1

You buy ArmA: II CO on Steam, then you download the mod from the websites and follow some instructions regarding the installing of the DayZ mod for ArmA: II CO (I don't know how to install it on Steam, because I've bought the disk from a store, and installed the game manually).

What's the best thing - you pay just $15, and you get two full games (ArmA II: and ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead), and a cool mod reflecting realistic zombie survival, you play them all online and you may even get more mods for ArmA II: CO to improve the quality of your gameplay. I never regretted that I paid these money, because it's so entertaining!

Nice, you think its easier to buy it as a disk ?

I looked on amazon, i can find any 'arma 2 combined operations'.

There are afew different arma 2's then arma 2 reinforcements. Reckon you could do me a massive favour and find me one so i know what the right one looks like please?

Nice, you think its easier to buy it as a disk ?

Maybe, did you use Steam before? I don't really use it. Used it only one time when I played Black Mesa: Source.

The disk may cost you more, I have no idea. If you want an easier method, without going to the store, just click a few times on your browser and you got the key for activating the game.

I looked on amazon, i can find any 'arma 2 combined operations'.

There are afew different arma 2's then arma 2 reinforcements. Reckon you could do me a massive favour and find me one so i know what the right one looks like please?

ArmA II - you can buy it, but you can't play the DayZ mod (and most of the mods) without buying and installing ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead over it. ArmA II: Reinforcements is an addon to ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead, but it's not needed for the DayZ mod. It just improves the quality of the characters and gives you some single player missions. Though it's a waste of money (for the DayZ mod), I still installed it over. Just buy it on Steam, don't complice yourself. If sincerly, I was just like you, and I was about to not buy anything when I was confused, but as you can see - I understood it well with the time.

Edited by Barrett_killz

Maybe, did you use Steam before? I don't really use it. Used it only one time when I played Black Mesa: Source.

The disk may cost you more, I have no idea. If you want an easier method, without going to the store, just click a few times on your browser and you got the key for activating the game.

Sorry what? Click on ym browser and i can activate arma 2?

I don't mind paying more for a physical copy, IS co JUST ARMA 2+ OPERATION ARROWHEAD?

Also can you link me to rockets thread on warz (his latest update)?

Sorry what? Click on ym browser and i can activate arma 2?

I don't mind paying more for a physical copy, IS co JUST ARMA 2+ OPERATION ARROWHEAD?

YEAH, YEAH, CO is made of ARMA II and Operation Arrowhead! Search on Steam for "ArmA II: Combined Operations", it's a stable price. And reminder - you won't get the DayZ Game (the GAME not the MOD) for free after buying CO.

YEAH, YEAH, CO is made of ARMA II and Operation Arrowhead! Search on Steam for "ArmA II: Combined Operations", it's a stable price. And reminder - you won't get the DayZ Game (the GAME not the MOD) for free after buying CO.

Yep I understand , DayZ is a mod that runs on arma 2 CO, the standalone is something separately purchased. Do you have any tiem frame when the game will be released? I really want to play and if it isnt released for another couple of months or so id just buy arma 2 co and use the mod. I havent really seen many recent updates on it apart from some screenshots form months ago :s . Is there another place where rocket keeps people informed?

Yep I understand , DayZ is a mod that runs on arma 2 CO, the standalone is something separately purchased. Do you have any tiem frame when the game will be released? I really want to play and if it isnt released for another couple of months or so id just buy arma 2 co and use the mod. I havent really seen many recent updates on it apart from some screenshots form months ago :s . Is there another place where rocket keeps people informed?

I don't really think Dean (the Founder) wants to make us a surprise with a really soon release of the DayZ game, as we don't get any news from him. IMHO some problem appeared, maybe they can't manage to do something... I really want to hear the truth, like somebody said it's better than silence. And no, all the news about the standalone come on these forums, on DayZ reddit and on twitter, maybe also somewhere else. But these places are enough. Good luck and if you need any more help, feel free to PM me.