TheSushi

Differentiating Bullets & Magazines

Before I get barraged with complaints about ammo being a beat to death topic, "ammo, ammunition, magazine, clips" are all very generic terms that come up on many topics in the search. I didn't want to spend an hour on search just to find if someone had made an ammo system thread recently. But if there is another thread with similar ideas, feel free to correct me.

Essentially, the ammo system is a pain in the butt due to how Arma II is designed. I know modifying it is a coding nightmare, so this is probably just as much an idea for standalone as the mod.

Basically, reduce the number of magazines you find, add bullet types and incorporate the element of reloading magazines. Nothing tedius - just clicking on your mags in the inventory to load them when they run low. Include a mag with the gun and you're set.

This would just help the ridiculous scenario of finding a Beretta M9, then not having ammo for it because you can't take the bullets out of a Glock 17 mag. Or having 8 Makarov mags in the space of a Bizon mag. Just unload the bullets, toss the mag and run them through your own gun. This would be rather nice for shotguns too, where the glitchy ammo combination system makes picking up more ammo with a full-ish inventory a pain.

Another helpful change would be how normal vs subsonic ammo in your guns is handled. It's very aggravating that you can't use M9 ammo in an M9 SD for example. A really severe example of this is the MP5SD - the gun is designed to reduce the velocity of its bullets even if you use normal ammo, so there is absolutely no need to use reduced-velocity ammo for it. But in general, no gun absolutely requires subsonic ammo just because it has a suppressor. It will still fire, it'll just be louder.

It'd be great if you could allow a suppressed gun to fire ammo and have it not silence the noise as well - if its a life-and-death situation and you have to use what ammo you have, you're not going to care.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 5

This was rather aggravating when we (me and John here) were playing together. I had found the aforementioned MP5SD earlier (after having had all its ammo dumped in my direction) and two normal MP5 mags later on some Milzombs. Which was annoying as hell when to my amazement I could not feed the 9x19 ammo in an MP5 magazine into my MP5.

Needless to say, this could use some work.

DayZ already lets you convert magazines to other types. .45 ACP ammo to M1911 and back for example.

You can combine 4, 2 rnd slugs to make an 8 round slug mag for your remington/M1014 shotguns and so on. You can load M107 ammo in your AS50. You can use G17 mags for the PDW.

I bet there are some missing alternatives but most of them are there, you can shoot Stanag and Stanag SD's, just scroll and reload the type of ammo you want to be using. I don't know about the interchangeability of mp5 and mp5sd rounds but it makes sense to me that you couldn't fire regular mp5 rounds in a mp5sd6 weapon as it would damage the silencer and possibly the mechanism in the gun as it's designed for low power rounds.

DayZ already lets you convert magazines to other types. .45 ACP ammo to M1911 and back for example.

You can combine 4, 2 rnd slugs to make an 8 round slug mag for your remington/M1014 shotguns and so on. You can load M107 ammo in your AS50. You can use G17 mags for the PDW.

I bet there are some missing alternatives but most of them are there, you can shoot Stanag and Stanag SD's, just scroll and reload the type of ammo you want to be using. I don't know about the interchangeability of mp5 and mp5sd rounds but it makes sense to me that you couldn't fire regular mp5 rounds in a mp5sd6 weapon as it would damage the silencer and possibly the mechanism in the gun as it's designed for low power rounds.

Well, like I said in the post, the MP5SD6 was designed to use normal ammo, unlike other silenced guns. It has a very large suppressor with many expansion chambers. Like, that's literally the only reason it exists, and why people use it instead of sticking a suppressor to a normal MP5. We found 3 MP5 mags for an MP5SD6... and had the strange situation of not being able to fire normal ammo out of a gun that never need special ammo. It was insane.

Introducing a new ammo type of the game is just one thing, but maybe just fixing what guns can use other ammo or can't would be the best thing short-term. Allowing the M9 to use more than just M9 ammo so its similar to the Glock, the MP5 issue mentioned above, the pain in the butt shotgun shell system.

I entirely agree to the shotgun shells. Say for example, you could hold 16 shells per slot (after fixing the winchester shell so a separate catergory the 3 main SGs would all have a common factor of 16 or 8) then the gun just draws on that supply. almost like arows for the bow in minecraft does. this would be much more sensible than having serveral mags of shotgun shells partially used. If i have 2 sets of 2rdslugs that each have 1 bullet used, why do i have to load one, fire one, reload, and fire the second one? that makes no sense. Also, Reloading the magazines is a wonderful idea. However, i believe you should only be able to transfer bullets from one magazine to another. the magazine itself without the bullets wont just appear from mid air for you to put bullets into. This makes turning .44magnum rounds into .45 m1911 rounds even more rediculous. Not only does the caliber change, but you magically take the bullets off the speedloader for the revolver and materialize a magazine to place them in? That just seems absurd.

The .45 conversion would never work because the 1911 and the revolver use different cartridges ( but the same projectile? )

And i wonder why the AS50 does more damage with the same .50 ammo...

And since when can i stick pistol mags into the MP5? I do hope they remove this ability and replace it with something better, the fault is with one of the ArmA 2 updates since you can also do that in vanilla.

You should normally be able to shoot normal ammo in suppressed weapons.

The Bizon PP-19 SD would be crazy good if they fixed the ammo and magazine system. It uses the same 9mm rounds as the makarov of which there are approximately 1.2 billion in Cherno alone.

Seriously I just pick them out of the general store walls.

The Bizon would have to become a lot rarer then in order to offset that crazy utility.

nice idea, mags should be "rarely" found, so having more at hand provides a nice advantage in combat due to higher fire rates. Furthermore refilling mags should then take quite some time, all leading to a more strategic approach in combat (there are three guys, am i taking the risk, reloading my mags takes me 15 secs..) and more thoughtful use of guns.

• Like 1

that thread kinda has a very extensive look on most of these subjects:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38742-suggestions-for-the-dayz-standalone-thinking-outside-of-the-limitations-of-an-arma-2-mod/

it was even mentioned, that you could insert single bullets. and if there are different bullet types, you could alternate between two different bullet types in one mag.

pretty mazing, isn't it?