Sign in to follow this  
blackout14@live.com

Hazmat Suits

Upon browsing Armaholic.com, I recently found an interesting mod to add skins. http://www.armaholic...ge.php?id=18238

This is a hazmat suit, made by Icewindo (great job, by the way). (No association, whatsoever)

Upon seeing this, it gave me an idea.

What if you could become an infected?

Similar to a "blood meter", there would be a "illness meter". This meter changes depending on how close to a city and how close to a zombie you are.

For example, in Cherno, your illness meter would fill up much quicker then, for example, Pobeda dam.

To combat this, you could use a suit (which can be found in any military spawn, any medical spawn, and rarely in farm spawns.

This makes it more of a challenge for people with advanced tier clothing. They, in order to survive, would have to switch to this hazmat suit.

For a random number, it would take a total of 2 game hours standing in the middle of Cherno to become one of the undead.

To "rollback" the illness, you would use antibiotics. They would have the same effect on the illness meter as a can of food has on the food meter. A blood pack (if its ever decided if the infection carries through the blood) would have the same effect as a steak on the illness meter.

When you become one of the undead, you can loot your walking corpse similar to any undead zombie. Shoot em. Items already equipped (Such as NVGS, binocs) Will stay on your zombie. However, more "loose" items, such as a random can of food on your main inventory may fall out. (Not dissapear).

This idea could be just a trunk of a tree, with a bunch of branches splitting off. Gas grenades to speed up infection? being near a helicopter's spinning rotors could slow down the infection rate. When your near critical on the illness meter, the zombies might see you as one of them. (Which could bring in the skill of balancing between "just enough" to not alert zombies, but "not enough" to become one of them. Even your blood could be effected. The higher your illness count, the lower maximum blood you have, up until you have the equal amount of health as a zombie.

Any thoughts?

DISCLAIMER: I do not own this mod. I do not endorse or solicit the idea of downloading this mod. I do however, endorse the idea of this mod being coupled with DayZ.

Supplice VI

• Like 2

It's a good idea.... on a piece of paper. Maybe it could be switched such as the infection being airborne and that there are numerous infectious hotspots such as mass graves, big cities and such? The Hazmat suit would protect you longer from unprotected exposure to air, but only for a limited time (Say 3 hours, since it's a hazmat suit). After that time has passed, you're suit will have expired, returning you to normal exposure (But not necessarily losing the suit skin). Gas masks should also be implemented (into the idea, if it's any good.) Would protect you from airborne infection but your normal clothes will carry some of the infection and therefore, making you're ''infected'' level go higher exponentially. Filters would be Civilian and military loot (15 minutes and 45 minutes?) I see where this is going...

• Like 1

Yeah im liking this a lot. Maybe the gas mask take up one of the visual equipment slots (i.e. press "b" to use gas mask.") It adds more of an aspect besides just "Find people and kill them". Civvie filters would be nice because usually a lot of hardware places carry filters, so industrial spawns would have them. Maybe the suit would protect you from 75% of the infection rate, but a mask added to that would make it go to 100%. So that way you pretty much are forced to make runs into cities every now and then, encouraging player interaction.

This is going to be completely crazy sounding, but if this illness was an airborne one, their could be days (similar to nuclear winters) where the weather would bring a contaminated cloud. This would mean +1.5% higher rate of illness increase, so on that day you would be more worried on not getting turned than being shot or eaten. That way the whole game isnt just about shooting and nutrition. It could also be about actual survival, which DayZ makes somewhat easy after a while. It doesnt even have to be put in completely for regular DayZ, but itd be cool to see a few modders get together to make a .pbo for this.

Weather affecting airborne infection is a pretty damn good idea. Sunny would indicate normal rate, windy (If added) would increase slightly (Wind direction maybe?) Rainy could decrease infection rate. Also, everything out in the nature is slightly infected, such as water, food (Infected animals?).

Instead of having there be a meter that fills up (like fallout's RAD meter) have a chance % based on where you are.. having the hazmat would decrease your chance of contracting any illness really.. and the more exposed you are, the more likely you will be infected

Instead of an illness, let's make it radiation.

And you have to periodically change out your gas mask filter.

And high-grade ammunition can be used as currency with other players.

And there are mutants who roam the wastes.

And...

• Like 1

And...

I loved this game.

• Like 2

And...

If that isn't an obvious Metro 2033 reference, I have nothing else to add.

OH i have a great idea! what if there were places in the game like laboratories. hazmat suits would be needed to go inside due to being a source of the infection. an the incentive to going in would be a special gun in the security section, or lots of medications. or something new!

Problem is the game devs already indicated anybody who is alive right now is completely immune.

All sicknesses you get ingame are normal things like flu or colds or infections. Though I suppose if there were just plain hazardous areas you could just find gas masks in this game anyway.

I thought you only got infected once you were bitten?

I thought you only got infected once you were bitten?

I mean technically, yes. In zombie pop-culture the infection is spread by bite. However, a real infection (such as H1N1) can be spread by water, coughing and sneezing (air) and by eating contaminated food. If this were to be an infection that mimics real life, not zombie stereotype, then you would have to cover yourself in whatever way you can; In this case, hazmat suits.

OH i have a great idea! what if there were places in the game like laboratories. hazmat suits would be needed to go inside due to being a source of the infection. an the incentive to going in would be a special gun in the security section, or lots of medications. or something new!

This is actually a pretty damn good idea. Maybe for standalone or ObjectA2 on Namalsk? That way you could get gov't issued weapons that you cant find normally, such as SCAR's, XM8's, and other custom weapons.

Problem is the game devs already indicated anybody who is alive right now is completely immune.

All sicknesses you get ingame are normal things like flu or colds or infections. Though I suppose if there were just plain hazardous areas you could just find gas masks in this game anyway.

Can I have the source? Anyways one of the ways to get the "Cold" is from being hit by a zombie, so it could actually be the zombie virus, only reduced in severity because of immunity.

Can I have the source? Anyways one of the ways to get the "Cold" is from being hit by a zombie, so it could actually be the zombie virus, only reduced in severity because of immunity.

Sure. I realized it was a forum mod rather than the game creator himself though: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112986-walking-dead-concept/#entry1067124

• Like 1

So...it sits in the corner of my green and slowly turns red, then I take something for it, and it suddenly becomes green.

This sounds like my food meter with the slight difference that I can dress as a balloon and it changes color slower.

Sure. I realized it was a forum mod rather than the game creator himself though: http://dayzmod.com/f...t/#entry1067124

Oh, alright, beans for you!

I always thought it was the zombie virus though because it would have to be a REALLY bad cold to reduce you to half of your life permenantly. (or at least untill you find those super rare antibiotics)

It might also just be a bacterial infection, I read on a forum post its actually possible to get it from gunshots, or any injury that causes bleeding.

Maybe in standalone they will revamp the infection system, for example there could be different types of infections, different ways to treat them, etc.

That's a forum admin, they doesn't speak for the Dev's. We don't know if the survivors are immune, or just haven't' caught it. The survivors could just have a strong immune system.

Ah, thanks for the correction.