Tigerr13

DayZ 1.7.1 Discussion - Others will be locked/deleted!

Taking away starting guns has made the mod the least enjoyable so far for me. I was killed three times trying to leave the beach area, unable to defend myself. Everytime by pisspoor shots who wasted 3+ mags on a target that couldnt even shoot back.

Did taking away starting guns improve player behaviour in general? The way I see it, terribad players can finally feel strong too by returning to the beach and killing defenseless spawners.

Out of 5 deaths... 5 of them were due to zombies attacking through walls, through floors, spidey senses, ultra ray and so on.

I would like to add that I am *very* happy that broken legs are being looked at. Granted, there are enough glitches that leg breaks are a big problem even *without* zombies, but its a step in the right direction.

I had some spare time so I played a straight 5-6 hours last night and broke my legs at least once per hour. Come to think of it, zombies were involved in most of them, but I wasn't always even being punched.

Like... Ok, in Cherno, in the Town Hall, trying to go down the main stairwell, there's a zombie ambling after me from behind. Of course the stairwell is a mangled mess of crisscrossed barbed wire. I hit "V" to try to get over some of it, see if I can navigate it at all, *CRACK*, broken leg. The noise actually aggroed other zombies on the ground floor that sprinted clear into the stairwell and started punching me in the face. I crawled back up the stairs but got knocked unconscious and the upstairs zombie finally caught up.

Sometimes I was being punched. Like, Elektro firestation, again trying to V over a fence to get into the stairwell (not even onto the staircase), V V V V V V, can't get over it, get punched from behind, *CRACK* knockout punch + broken leg.

One of my many respawns was by the southwest airfield. OK, gonna check out the four tree stands and medical tents. I crouch run up to the area, drop to prone, crawl around to the break in the sandbags on the road side, a zombie inside the penned area sees me through the sandbags and barbed wire (I was hugging them as close as I could), ran up and punched and *CRACK*, broken leg FROM FULL 12000 HEALTH!

I break my leg so often and under such ridiculous circumstances, that my group (guild/squad/whatever its called in this game) has started using my handle as an actionable verb - its actually gone past a simple running gag. Example, one might hear over voice comms, "Dammit, that drop was higher than I thought, anyone got any morphine? I Brew'ed my leg."

I wish morphine injectors were stackable. I need to keep so many on me that I don't have much room left for weapons or loot.

SPAWN ME WITH A GOD DAMNED CROWBAR, OR A HATCHET, OR A PAIR OF BRASS KNUCKLES, A STICK WITH AN ANGRY WORM ON IT, I DON'T CARE.

I get why guns were removed (this was before my time, but people think this is Twattlefield or Modern Borefare and try to just be all deathmatchy and shit) But fuck me if i'm not sick of having no way to defend myself. Seriously. Give me a damn melee weapon. Please. Otherwise the biggest problem in the game becomes getting a weapon without being caught by a zombie or a player who already has one. If you get caught by one zombie (easy given they are programmed to shamble your way) you're dead with no weapon, and you have two options. Respawn until you luck out, or get up and use the only method of defense you have - putting one foot infront of the other, then putting the other foot infront of that one, rapidly until you find a mountain high enough to lose them on.

I can see why the average lifespan is 30 minutes - I can almost guarantee most of the deaths inside that time are people attempting to find a way to defend themselves or get started. That's how long it takes on average to find a town, find a house that isn't just useless scenery, find a loot spawn that isn't in mid-air, not find a weapon, get caught by a zombie and hit respawn to save wasting more time, or to find you have no food or water. Or to go into a town hoping to have an easy time finding some starting gear and getting killed for giggles.

The permadeath is fine. I have no issues with that. It makes people twitchy, and it's the reason i'll shoot anyone armed that i see, if i happen to be armed (and politely inform them i have nothing of value to take if i don't, because i usually dont).

But having NOTHING to defend myself with is detracting from the experience.

All i see is coast spawners complaining they cant respawn and go on shooting spree anymore.

Survivors gonna survive.

I love this game...I almost kept the crossbow with two bolts over the Enfield with 40 rounds...I absolutely love it. I wish you had maybe somthing slightly defendable to start with(I couldnt find anything for a long time and it was super scary, but I didnt know about melee weapons)...

anywho....couldnt get on yesterday(due to DDoS attack?). I got on today and I see this dude crawling. Im not really one to shoot at someone else just purusing the area...but I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill.... Well...zeds crawl now. I didnt know when that changed, but they crawl all OVER the place...kinda sketchy cause its harder to tell people from zeds. But realistic and I like it....when did they START CRAWLING

I think the idea of spawning with some type of melee weapon would be cool. Or at least adding in random melee weapons around the coast.

The fact that in some cases I'm forced to respawn repeatedly to find a weapon kind of sucks.

Honestly, I think if the hyper-realism thing is to be kept true, people should be able to go to any tree or bush and grab a stick that does little damage but can at least fend off a zombie.

I may be in the minority, but I find no starting weapon to be just fine. Everyone starting with a gun was unrealistic in the sense that in the event of the infection breaking out, not everyone who owned a gun would have access to it, and who owned a gun would be varied, not uniform.

Now the same can also be said for starting with no weapon. Like other posters have said, we'd find SOMETHING to use (the empty jack bottle for instance. I'd carry that around and bash skulls if I had nothing else, or a tree branch, or that axe stuck in the chopping block).

But if I had to pick one or the other, having no weapon heightens the sense of urgency, of vulnerability. It makes the first real challenge getting away from the coast.

Some people have mentioned getting owned at the coast by people shooting the new spawns. I can't say I have encountered this problem once. I have been shot at inside Cherno after spawning close to it near the east, but I actively went into the city on the gamble that if I made it out, i'd have some nice gear to get going on, if I didn't, well i'd lost nothing. I got shot and some bandit got a bandage and painkillers. Lesson learned.

Ideally the solution would be to make those static axes outside houses on the coast an item, not just a texture or whatever, as well as have a plank of wood near the wooden picket fences . The reloading hatchet made melee work so why not use the same concept but different skins?

I don't play this to own. I play to role-play a person who finds themselves in this situation (oh and also happens to have intimate knowledge of firearms, and medicine :P). I don't expect to last, so when I do the gamble goes up, the risk/ reward becomes more blurred. Thus my mentality towards the game is facilitated by starting with nothing.

I never played this game up untill last night and its pretty crazy the agro range on the zombies.. ill be crouching around and a zombie who is pretty far away boom is chasing me so then i have to get up run then more come because when you are standing the range is huge! and sometimes i can juke them but then sometimes one will catch up when i'm jumping over a fence and hit me then i bleed out because they still chase me even tho i'm running out of los and stuff..

Spawning with no guns doesn't heighten the sense of fear, the fact that stealth is a secondary tool as opposed to running and LOS Zombies means that most freshly spawned players who are actually good at the game would rather just bolt it through the nearest town/barn/deer stand, grab whatever they can, LOS any Zombies, and just rinse repeat until geared, then go North. It is utterly useless to try and stealth on Zombies unless you absolutely need to get into a one way building (Firehouses being the only exception, however Supermarkets, Churches, Two way Residentials, etc. are easy as hell to get into and out even with Zombies in them).

It's more of a nuisance anyways to have to play without a gun early. It's not even a challenge at all. If stealth was an actually viable mechanic (it's not; you're more likely to get shot by a sniping bandit more then anything), maybe the no weapons would be fine. However, as it is right now, there's 0 reason to even use stealth, thus totally negating the "fear" of having to sneak around Zombies.

I only just started playing, I'm still a noob and I don't really get the mechanics but i just seem to sneak into houses, where I find a lone crossbow bolt and quite often into a house with a zombie in, and I find myself running away for ages until I get bored a accept my fate, the point is i would like to start with some form of weapon I would be content with a sword made of cloth, at least some way to retaliate to the zombies...

Well, I love the fact that you don't spawn with a weapon. Here's why:

* Adds to the authenticity.

* While it is rare to spawn near another new player, or being able to camp in a "sure spot" where people will spawn due to limited number of player per server and the random placement, it de-encourages trying to fish por new spawns in order to get loads of ammo. Now there is absolutely no reason to.

* You always spawn near a house/city with a possible weapon. You may have to elude 1 or 2 infected to get in, and if no weapon is there, you can always take a few empty cans to throw at other infected that are camping the next lootable houses to make it easier.

* If the above point doesn't go as planned because of erratic or buggy infected behavior, keep in mind that this will probably work better in later stages of development. Don't hate on the spirit of a mechanic because it's not perfectly oiled yet.

I have been playing DayZ for a while but with this new update it has really killed the experience of the game for me... I do not like the fact I have no weapons at all to start with, since the addition of melee weapons why couldn't you start everyone off with a melee weapon, because as it stands now I spend most of my time running from super man zombies that glitch threw walls or players with melee weapons chasing me until my fate. Some sort of weapon is needed at spawn. Until then it is really not worth playing at the moment.

So at this point, I don't know if I really have just had freakishly bad luck with weapon spawns.

It often takes me a really long time to find one, but lately I've seen loads of Winchesters and Dinner Bells- I mean Enfields in barns, and even found an AK and M16 in tree stands. Never got to equip the M16 though - tried to put it in a patrol pack and it got deleted. Stupid 8-slot backpack.

And hatchet spawns are kind of irregular. I've gone entire play sessions without seeing one and in other places there's multiple hatchets in the same room!

Multiple watches spawn in grocery stores all the time, I've found a map or two, still only ever found one compass. Revolvers seem fairly common in houses and grocery stores too. I like the revolver, the ammo's easy to find/convert. Only ever found one M1911, they seem pretty rare.

So... yeah. Like I said, I don't know if there were some kind of server settings tweaked, maybe a database variable. Or maybe my shitty luck is finally starting to turn. But my rate of finding weapons has gone up dramatically. Which isn't to say I've found a lot of guns, just that the past week has had more guns than the entire prior month combined.

And random kind of funny side note - ever since I started really hitting hospitals to load up on morphine and use up a fair amount of backpack space to store it, my rate of leg breaking has gone way down too. I'm not playing any differently, its weird. I still try to hop over things, I still go through doors and climb ladders and stairs. I do still get the odd leg break from single punches, but environmental breaks are nowhere near the rate that it has been. Its not like I'm just noticing them less due to morphine either - I'm usually on Mumble with friends and the number of times I've said "Yep, broke my leg again" has in fact gone down.

I dunno. My luck just seems abnormally streaky. *shrug*