Deuzerre

Force Third party VOIP in game.

Currently, in game, if you meet an organised group, there is a good chance that they are on a VOIP (Teamspeak, skype, whatever...) program to oranise themselves.

Imagine there are two groups. One is a Teamspeak made group, and the other is a in-game (roleplaying) group using the in-game voice system to talk between each other.

Currently, if both sides have to fight each other, the teamspeak team will have a huge advantage in that it won't be overheard, while the "properly" playing guys will be heard by the other team.

Unlike people that want to ban teamspeak and the like, I have been thinking the other way round: Would it be possible for voice chat used in third party programs to be automatically be transmitted in the local chat?

I know, even with a system like this, people would still abuse it (I saw flamers saying "but if we're in the same room" and "I have two PCs, what prevents me from "cheating?" and other arguments.) and it could be OK, as it would sort of represent people communicating with sings or whatever. But overall, this would cause people to feel more connected to the game, as even speaking is connected to the game.

In a word: "Immersion".

This game is really different from most other games and I think that to feel it from inside, without Mumble etc... where people are "safe" to talk, would help a lot.

Teamspeak guys would be able to chat with each other at long ranges to regroup, sure, but at least a pair of guys wouldn't be able to pull off a silent, coordinated ambush without whispering.

I see quite a few videos on Youtube where a group of guys is laughing while approaching an area, and go unnoticed where in game, they should have been spotted. Their mood completely off from what they should be experiencing if they were really in the situation and using the in-game channels.

EDIT: An other solution (less problematic) would be this one:

I like this idea.

Fair enough If Vipeax says it wont happen. But what if the game reads the mic volume and transmits a generic "speech" sound. A sort of garbled talking that doesn't say anything but has the correct positional / audio position.

If that person presses direct chat it becomes their ungarbled voice.

This could be sort of a plugin.

I'm absolutely in favor of this idea, but I don't have any idea if it is possible or not.

Its possible if you make some code that reads you the voip state of the mic (reserved/free) and overtake the mic and relay it. Can not be done with script code would need a c++ app

Running C++ code to do that isn't really an issue, but you should know this is as good as spyware and would go beyond Blizzard's Warden --> legal drama.

there are other potential issues too.. like if you were having a private skype call whilst playing that had nothing to do with the game.

I like this idea.

Fair enough If Vipeax says it wont happen. But what if the game reads the mic volume and transmits a generic "speech" sound. A sort of garbled talking that doesn't say anything but has the correct positional / audio position.

Your getting way too advanced guys, just accept communities have other means of communication and appreciate that you have ingame voice working now.

Besides, from the 'roleplaying' point of view, if your were facing a armed hostile group around the next corner, you wouldn't chat away but use desperate hand signals and concerned face expressions.

I like this idea.

This is actually quite interesting proposition. Will update the OP.

So the game is able to recognize me talking on a skype call to friends/family/business? Why don't you just have the game post all my personal information on the DayZ home page? Any game that has the ability to know what I am doing outside of playing will not be on my machine. End of story.

Teamspeak, Vent, etc., have been around for years. You need to accept this and move on. If you want in game only speech I recommend you buy either a PS3 or XBOX360.

If players want the other people in game and not on TS to hear them, they will use in game voice. If you are having a hard time with the immersion part, think of those using 3rd party voip as if they were whispering to each other. You wouldn't be able to hear them anyway, and in game voice does not allow you to modulate your volume level and direction accurately enough.