daish

It's Impossible to See at Night! - Other threads will be locked/deleted!

Meh. It's really not that hard to play at night. A tip, your vision will adjust to the light around you. If you've got a scoped weapon, zoom in on a star at night, and then zoom out again, and everything will be much darker, but will slowly begin to lighten back up.

If you're really keen on playing at night, you've got to change your style a lot, and take more risks with your paths. Following a treeline might mean you get your ass lost in the woods and dump out on the opposite side of where you wanted to be. You've got to kind of use the stars and terrain elevation to get to where you're going, and stick to more open areas where larger landmarks might still be visible.

Arma 2 is a military simulation, why are they making the night so unrealistic dark? You can see very well at night without a flashlight in reality, the stars and the moon gives u enough light to see where u running, but in arma 2 it's just ridiculous... yes sure they should make it difficult to see, but not impossible!

Arma 2 is a military simulation' date=' why are they making the night so unrealistic dark? You can see very well at night without a flashlight in reality, the stars and the moon gives u enough light to see where u running, but in arma 2 it's just ridiculous... yes sure they should make it difficult to see, but not impossible!

[/quote']

The only people defending it are those who like picking off those using flaslights or flares.

The night in ARMA 2 is realistic. Have you ever been in a forest at night time? You don't see shit. Everything is black. You don't even see other people or your own hand in front of you. The only thing you can see is the sky with the moon and the stars.

The night in ARMA 2 is realistic. Have you ever been in a forest at night time? You don't see shit. Everything is black. You don't even see other people or your own hand in front of you. The only thing you can see is the sky with the moon and the stars.

Sure I was in a forest at night, and its not pitch black you spend 20 minutes in the dark and u can see quite well, not very good but it's not like "What the crap I cant see my own hand". If it would be realistic then you could see something when you're not in the forest, but in arma it doesnt matter everything is pitch black...

I play airsoft at night and you can see at night depending on the night light

At best you can see figures/people as black shadowy spots, at worst you can see 1 -3 meters infront and you can see trees and bushes as dark spots.

Its never pitch black.

I've been camping/shooting in national parks and I can tell you, if its cloudy or the moon is not out. It's pitch black.

It highly depends on how full the moon is.

The moon light should be the decider on how visable everything is.

I've been camping/shooting in national parks and I can tell you' date=' if its cloudy or the moon is not out. It's pitch black.

It highly depends on how full the moon is.

The moon light should be the decider on how visable everything is.

[/quote']

Yes sure, nobody is saying something else.

Sure I was in a forest at night' date=' and its not pitch black you spend 20 minutes in the dark and u can see quite well, not very good but it's not like "What the crap I cant see my own hand". If it would be realistic then you could see something when you're not in the forest, but in arma it doesnt matter everything is pitch black...

[/quote']

in real life, it really depends on how bright the moon is and how dense the forest is. eventually ur eyes will adjust to the darkness IF the moon is bright enough and IF the trees surrounding you doesn't completely block out the sky. however if the trees above ur head block out moonlight or if its a moonless night then it will be pitch black.

Again, people need to stop calling others out as "complainers" or "whiners". I havent seen a shred of actual discussion here. If I were a moderator Id ban like half the people in this thread! I think the biggest issue is that people who won't care about realism will just turn gamma brightness and HDR all the way up and will pick off the people who do enjoy the dark. If this is a discussion of what a realistic "dark" would look like; the discussion is kind of moot because in real life you can't change the brightness or gamma anyway. CoD kids pretending theyre hardcore because they call people whiners lol

I somewhat enjoy this nighttime. Would fully support it if I hadn't drop my secondary firearm to use toolbelt tools like the flashlight

I see a lot of people saying they enjoy the dark and that it is perfectly realistic, but I am having troubles seeing this reflected in game. Since the mod came out I stuck to darker servers because it was much more exciting for me, but recently it has become painful to find a server that is dark without it having less than 5 players on it (who are all probably at NW farming because low pop).

In real life even a little moonlight allows someone to see even the tiniest bit. Flashlights, flares and glowsticks were still useful even when there was some visibility to navigate inside of buildings or inspect from loot, but not being able to even walk down the street without using a light source is just silly.

If the lighting at night was really okay why is it so damn hard to find any populated servers at night?

I only recently started playing DayZ. The potential in this game is absurd, in a good way.

Throwing in my two cents (don't care much for the hardcore/softcore/etc crap, just honest player opinion) on the subject of night time.. Without NVG, in the current state of the game, once it gets dark enough, you literally can't see shit. It's impossible to accomplish anything with zero vision. Yes it's scary as fuck to be running through a forest with your real world lights off, headset on, pitch black with zombies on your heels.. But if you just spawned and have nothing, it's a shit experience. The reason you find empty servers at night is because anyone who dies will just disconnect, prodding around in the dark is simply not fun.

That said, ~9PM server time a few days ago, that twilight period where you can make out the lay of the land, there's enough light to see shapes, but not enough to make out detail... that was the best experience i've had on a DayZ server to date. Sneaking into Cherno which of course is overrun with assholes. The thrill of sneaking around in the twilight to scrounge up supplies and then being SNIPED AT AS I LEFT was fantastic (yes, even being sniped at. Mostly because he missed. Three times.) If the map was pitch black, i'd have been totally lost, and using my flashlight in a town is basically painting a target on my head, so that option is out - so when it gets late, i just log off. There's just no enjoyment in walking around in the pitch black with ZERO vision. It's also unrealistic unless we're simulating a 12 hour eclipse every night. But yeah.. mostly not enjoying the pitch black.

This darkness thing is a real problem.

Logged into a server the other night. It was PITCH black in the forest. No stars...nothing. I had just been in a night time ARMA2 game and was able to fight in the darkness. I set my video options to max and it was STILL pitch black. What is going on?

When the moon is out and at least a quarter full and it's not cloudy you can see fairly well and I really enjoy playing those nights. But, when it's cloudy it does get unrealistically dark and you have to pop flares or use flashlights to see where you really wouldn't in real life after your eyes adjusted. Also, I have found that there is a bit of difference in how things look while using different monitors also. I play on my living room hdtv and it's terribly dark compared to a computer monitor.

I dont know why people are complaining about this too dark thing? I personally liked it to play in the dark. Especially in the beginning when we had to use flashlights,flares etc. to survive.. it was a very scary experience. Now we discovered you can just turn your gamma and brightness on max and you can see just normal in the dark. I think it would be awsome if they locked the brightness and gamma so every one gets this scary dark experience again.

I read through a lot of complaints across the forums about night play. I don't get what the big deal is. I'm a complete noob (only 3 hours of playtime) and I LOVE the night play. It's the safest time to do anything really (as a noob).

I tried day time games several times and I was dying consistently within minutes because of either bad spawn or other players camping the coast. I tried my first night game and wa-la I can sneak around and move much faster. I used tin cans to clear zombies from structures and looted so much more gear faster than in the day time.

I did eventually team up with a buddy and we played from dusk into darkness around the coast and some douche did show up after awhile with some automatic weapon and started hunting us around a mountain because of our flashlights, but it was fun and rewarding to evade him and we use our lights much more conservatively now.

So I don't get it...why so many people whine about darkness??

Oh and such a great Mod :D I'll be playing this for a looong time.

Wait till you play a little more and you log into a nighttime server with no moonlight. See if you can see anything. Anything at all.

I love night time myself, but i guess for anyone with NVG's and a DMR or the LA85, they can literally goto town in cherno/elecktro, i think people will man up after they die a few more times, alot of pussy's in the game right now to afraid to loose there NVG's etc.

Wait till you play a little more and you log into a nighttime server with no moonlight. See if you can see anything. Anything at all.

Then DayZ gave us flares/kemlights. l2adapt imo

Nothing better then running through cherno in pitch black when suddenly you see several flares in the distance, it gets the blood pumping as you know action is up ahead.

I like playing at night. Hiding from other players is pretty easy even with the people with NVG, but when it's PITCH black life gets pretty terrible.