daish

It's Impossible to See at Night! - Other threads will be locked/deleted!

Go outside at night' date=' you will find it verry diffrent, and visable

[/quote']

How about you do it yourself? It's 10:27PM here in Sweden(GMT+1) and I can see crystal clear. The only time it'd be really dark would be during Winter, and even then it wouldn't be so dark you can't even tell if you're in a forest or not.

Also there is this, which is non-existent in ArmA 2 unless you look right into a vehicles headlights.

What I demonstrated in the picture is still IMO, too dark. I'd want it brighter, but that's not gonna happen since Rocket doesn't seem to give a shit about our opinion about the darkness.

Go outside at night' date=' you will find it verry diffrent, and visable

[/quote']

How about you do it yourself? It's 10:27PM here in Sweden(GMT+1) and I can see crystal clear. The only time it'd be really dark would be during Winter, and even then it wouldn't be so dark you can't even tell if you're in a forest or not.

Also there is this, which is non-existent in ArmA 2 unless you look right into a vehicles headlights.

What I demonstrated in the picture is still IMO, too dark. I'd want it brighter, but that's not gonna happen since Rocket doesn't seem to give a shit about our opinion about the darkness.

I was arguing that the game is to dark, you arguing aganst me basically saying the same stupid thing. So why are you arguing aganst me again?

He game is to dark, there i made my argument simpler for you.

And i do do it, im a smoker dont smoke inside, and stay up untill 3am every night. I am outside at night constantly and can make out if i need to cut my lawn the next day, from a back deck that sits on the second story of house ( guess about 15+feet high. Yet ingame i cant see the gun im holding

And the closest city is 80 miles away, on the other side of 2 mountian ridges

Chemlights.

Really' date=' dude? The very post you quoted was chastising people for not reading other people's posts before responding and you come back with this?

I find the assertion that pitch black nights are realistic quite hilarious. Anyone suggesting this should seriously visit a physician because there is most definitely something wrong with your vision. Either that, or you've never gone outside at night.

The following is taken from the American Optometric Association's website in regards to the human eye and how it works at varying levels of light.

link: http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

DAY VERSUS NIGHT VISION

According to a widely held theory of vision, the rods are responsible for vision under very dim levels of illumination (scotopic vision) and the cones function at higher illumination levels (photopic vision). Photopic vision provides the capability for seeing color and resolving fine detail (20/20 of better), but it functions only in good illumination. Scotopic vision is of poorer quality; it is limited by reduced resolution ( 20/200 or less) and provides the ability to discriminate only between shades of black and white. This limitation can be easily confirmed by noting that, at dusk, the different colors of a flower garden become virtually indistinguishable. However, the scotopic system provides enhanced sensitivity and low detection thresholds under markedly reduced illumination.

This dual-receptor system allows the human eye to maintain sensitivity over an impressively large range of ambient light levels. Between the limits of maximal photopic vision and minimal scotopic vision, the eye can function rather effectively to changes in brightness of as much as 1,000,000,000 times. The sensitivity of the eye automatically adjusts to changes in illumination. The dimmest light in which the rods can function is equivalent to ambient conditions of an overcast night with no moonlight. The dimmest light in which the cones can function is roughly equivalent to a night with 50% moonlight. Thus a white which can just barely be seen by the rods must be increased in brightness 1,000 times before it becomes visible to the cones. The light intensity of the sun is approximately 30,000 times that of the moon, yet the eye can function well in bright sunlight as well as in dim moonlight. Although the human eye can function over a vast range of brightness, the retina is sensitive to damage by light, e.g., from lasers or unprotected sun gazing. This potential for light injury exists because the optics of the eye can concentrate light energy on the retina by a factor of 100,000 times.

So, from this we can see that our eyes have two ways of providing vision. The first is our normal vision in optimal resolution and color quality, which uses the cones. The second is a lower resolution and color quality that we get from the rods. The cones can function on a clear night with at least 50% moonlight, and the rods function in overcast with no moonlight.

This means that even in a pitch black setting, the human eye functions at a base level. This is why at night, even if there is no moonlight and full cloud cover you can still see. Your vision is nowhere near as good as in regular moonlight or during the day, but you still have vision. As mentioned in the quoted article, our "Night Vision" is comparable to 20/200 (Things 20 feet away have the clarity of something 200 feet away with a normal eye) with colorblindness. While this is not optimal vision, it is far better than no vision. Currently, DayZ offers no vision, and hides behind the delusion that that is realistic. This seems to be a common theme in Arma II (rotational blur and vision bobbing while running, which human's with normal vision and brain function don't perceive because our brains actually process our vision properly so that we don't notice it) so I can't fault the creator too much.

THIS is what I am trying to say. In fact, I'm going to leave the whole quote in because people really need to read it.

I was arguing that the game is to dark' date=' you arguing aganst me basically saying the same stupid thing. So why are you arguing aganst me again?

And i do do it, im a smoker dont smoke inside, and stay up untill 3am every night. I am outside at night constantly and can make out if i need to cut my lawn the next day, from a back deck that sits on the second story of house ( guess about 15+feet high. Yet ingame i cant see the gun im holding

[/quote']

Because you obviously misunderstood my reply, thus I misunderstood yours.

I think the moonlight should show up things more, if were going for realism / authenticity, the moonlight will reflect on surfaces, and if you've been out in in a field on a clear night its quite bright when your eyes adjust.

see photo. http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/133193/530wm/C0070175-Moonlit_corn_field-SPL.jpg obviously not as bright as this, just making a point...

I was arguing that the game is to dark' date=' you arguing aganst me basically saying the same stupid thing. So why are you arguing aganst me again?

[/quote']

Because you obviously misunderstood my reply, thus I misunderstood yours.

Id have to say it was easy to misunderstand when the link said " what midnights should be like" linking to a to dark night, and you just saying " nuff said"

Maby should have been more then "nuff said "

How you misunderstood me when i said " diffrent and visable " maby visable means something diffrent in sweeden, or translated wrong

Id have to say it was easy to misunderstand when the link said " what midnights should be like" linking to a to dark night' date=' and you just saying " nuff said"

Maby should have been more then "nuff said "

How you misunderstood me when i said " diffrent and visable " maby visable means something diffrent in sweeden, or translated wrong

[/quote']

Look at the Clock in the picture, then read my reply. How >midnight< should be.

I love how people claim it should be this dark due to realism, yet you are happy to allow a character to run forever and survive impossible situations. It is not about being realistic, the game still needs to be playable which in my opinion it isn't at night.

I live in the country side, when the moon and stars are out you can see very well once the eyes have adjusted, yet in game at the moment you cannot see anything no matter what the sky is like. The night time was fine as it was, the forests were pitch black as they should be but the open areas had enough illumination to see.

I am sure some moron will tell me how I am crying and they will drink my tears but for me, I agree it is to dark to be playable.

Nights should be like when it's 3~4a.m. in common nights ingame atm(this time is pre-dawn actually, dunno why), they're grey colored and you can see some things outside buildings, just like the nights IRL.

Ofc it is impossible to see in the dark wilderness without any kind of light.

My suggestion is to have a 2 main dayz servers.

When the sun is starting to show up, I pick an EU server (My realtime)

When the sun is about to go down, I pick an US server (Brighyness!):D

I was a player who adjusted the gamma, only because I knew most other players did as well, which then rendered flares & NVG's useless. Then I remembered the moment when I realized I could not adjust the gamma I was like "holy fuck!". With no flares because I felt they were useless and i was located in a forest valley, I could not play it so I stuck to daytime servers. It was only a few days ago that I decided to stock up on flares and look for NVG's to adapt to the new night conditions. I have adapted to it and now I embrace it. I figured, what are my chances of running into someone with NVG's? And, if I can't see at night no one else can unless they use a flare. I love it, as it adds way more tension that at any given moment I can die and only see the radius of my flare. Awesome atmosphere! All in all, I would adjust it just a tad brighter if it can be done. With this mod you have to adapt to the changes and they keep on coming. I love this about it. Keeps it fresh.

DayZ Logic

If anyone think this is realistically dark, piss off. This even with Brightness and Gamma turned UP. It's not playable like this, it really isn't. And it's nowhere close to being realistic, seriously Rocket come on.

DayZ Logic

If anyone think this is realistically dark' date=' piss off. This even with Brightness and Gamma turned [b']UP. It's not playable like this, it really isn't. And it's nowhere close to being realistic, seriously Rocket come on.

Just letting you know that turning up the gamma doesn't do anything with the beta patches. Gamma values are enforced serverside now.

I actually liked doing stealth runs at that point of the night where everythng was jusssst visible in a muted dark greyscale. Imo that point where its near pitch black, but you can just see outlines of things nearest you should be the most extreeme case.

this link is a vid i made in 1.7, no gamma adjusts, and just enough vision to keep me scared. perhaps the darkest it should get is just a bit more than the night featured here.

Ofc it is impossible to see in the dark wilderness without any kind of light.

That is so fraking false. How about you spend this weekend in the woods? Go somewhere far away from the cities. Take a notepad' date=' a watch and a pencil. And when it's getting dark count how many steps away you can still see. Write down if it is a moonless night, if it rains, if there are thick clouds etc.

You will be so fraking surprised: A cloudless, moonless night ... you could see a boar 200 meters away on a meadow.

Not seeing the difference between a trashcan and a supermarket entry directly before you on a cloudless moon-lit night:

stupidly unrealistic.

I like the night but some servers/nights the game is pitch black to the point where you only know where to sky is because of the stars. Anything in front of you is impossible to see - now while this is really nice from a realism point of view the situation is that you connect; can't see jack-all, disconnect and go to another server.

It'd be ok if you could see a little - with the gamma and brightness up it's not too bad. Though why my character can't duct tape a torch onto his gun... maybe all guns should have a torch?

P.S. I hate that flashlight, why have that when it takes up the pistol slot?

I actually liked doing stealth runs at that point of the night where everythng was jusssst visible in a muted dark greyscale. Imo that point where its near pitch black' date=' but you can just see outlines of things nearest you should be the most extreeme case.

this link is a vid i made in 1.7, no gamma adjusts, and just enough vision to keep me scared. perhaps the darkest it should get is just a bit more than the night featured here.

[/quote']

I think that that brightness in that video is as dark as it should ever get imo, with the exception of moonless nights. I mean.. you can't even see in that video.... I had to have my buddy earlier today with NVG guide me up a tower through his NVG because I couldn't see ANYTHING in front of me.

I Just started playing dayz this weekend and the very first thing I noticed and thought was utterly retarded was how dark it was.

Me and my friends just downloaded dayz to try it out and none of us were able to play at all until searching for 2 hours trying to JUST CONNECT to a server to see if the gamma wasn't so low.

Utterly terrible experience that no gamer should ever have to go through. I realize this is alpha but im pretty sure they could fix this darkness issue. It really is turning people away from the mod immediately.

Я и мои кореша действительно рады что теперь по ночам нужно именно выживать. И во всех тех предметах которые раньше заменяла гамма на 100%, появился смысл.

Мы русские очень прямолинейны, :) поэтому напишу так.

Тут вам не Counter strike где у каждого есть свой PNV. Если вы не способны выжить в ночное время суток без выкрученной гаммы, то у меня для вас плохие новости. :)

Надеюсь только что rocket и его команда не поведется на нытьё casual игроков и будет и дальше радовать поклонников ARMA 2.

translate

Welcome to Chernarus :))

Today me and friends played at nighttime for about 4 hours.

First hour and maybe first couple hours we could see semi well during the night (still needed to use flares sometiems and thats perfectly fine for me) but later one it got fucking dark like before the patch and we couldnt see shit i couldn't see my character in 3rd person it was fucking ridiculous. so i dont know what changed in these hours but it started getting evry very very dark after a server restart. please fix the night time to get a little bit brighter because if your in a group of 5 people at night it fucking sucks to walk 1 meter the stop and send a flare and 10 flashlights just to make sure everyone is here and no1s missing , while at the same time a horde of 10000 zombies and players run at your for having so much light. (atleast make it noticeable to see players even at far but make it dark still.)

Incase you got no real life or someshit and don't leave your house. Nighttime IRL is not how it is in this game. the Nightime in htis game is just too fucking dark. go outside ur house at night to an open field and im 100% sure you can still see quite alot, because your eyes adapt to the lack of light which doesn't happen here, and now your going to say: this isnt IRL its a game. and i say: rocket did say he wanted to make it as realistic as possible and this is way more than possible.

About the chemlights and flares and so on: yes we do use them the thing is that we should only use them incase we want to make sure if theres a player in x place or if were in the woods where the moon light cant reach making it darker.

I think the simplest answer to all of this debate is to simply make the night brightness a server-side option.

I personally prefer having that little bit of visibility, purely for the fact that if you go for a walk in the countryside at night your eyes WILL adjust to the dark and give you a small fraction of visibility. Personally I feel it's a little more realistic, and the brightness/gamma trick is just simply one of those things that people will do - I do it, and everyone I know does it. It shouldn't just be avoided by forcing everyone to see absolute black throughout the night.

The hardcore servers can keep their pitch black nights, and that's just fine by me - sometimes I enjoy it that way and it adds more atmosphere in some circumstances, but when I'm simply just trying to navigate a small village without walking into a wall every 5 seconds it can become frustrating, especially since the only time I get to play throughout the week is on night times! Sometimes I just want a quick, fun exploration to top up supplies and scout for new weapons.

As some people have said, the black nights are turning people away from the game, if only temporarily - I personally try to find a server running in daylight because I like to actually see the game I'm playing.

I hope rocket + the team work to implement a server-side option to determine the brightness.