whatadai

Scavenging Questions

Just started playing a day ago and I've been able to scavenge a lot. I even found a ghillie suit on the first character I made. I've found a bunch of crossbows, shotguns, revolvers, pistols, automatic rifles, and even several frag grenades. The one thing that I've had difficulty in finding is a canteen or drinks of any kind. I've found soda twice and was close to dying of thirst each time with the thirst symbol blinking for awhile until I found it. Same with food...I've found maybe two cans of beans. I've found many animals, but I haven't found one hunting knife.

Just seems a little unrealistic to me to find so many guns and so few knives. Also seems unrealistic that I can't cut meat off a kill with my hatchet. That and the fact that I can't drink water from a fresh water source with my hands to quench thirst. I'm having fun, but I'm finding that I die more due to the lack of access to water and food, even though it's right in front of me in other forms, but my Day Z self is too idiotic to know how to cup his hands for water or cut meat with a hatchet. Any tips on finding water and food more easily? Or maybe a canteen or hunting knife?

P.S. I've also only found one map, but was sniped soon after, so I don't recognize towns and cities yet since I never know where I am. Maps are pretty hard to find too.

Edited by whatadai

Just look in the houses and supermarket in electro or another big city theres plenty of water and food

and with the maps there are servers where you start with map and gps

give me a pm if u want to know more :)

If you play on high population servers then food and drink can be hard to find, on lower populated servers they can be easier to find. Maps can be found in the stores and various other buildings in towns. Stores and apartment builds are good for finding water bottles. The two story building across the street from the store in Cherno is a good place to find many things as are the buildings close to the store in Electro. There are 2 stores and some apartments in Berezino and a lot fewer people go there as it is a bit longer run to get there.

Edited by maxnmike

It's matches that I can't find. Got a hunting knife... Got some firewood... Even chased down a chicken and whacked him with my hatchet, so I've got some raw meat... If only I could start a fire...

Thanks for the tips guys...the only problem is I don't know where those places are because I can't find a map. =[

I found matches once when I found the map.

Thanks for the tips guys...the only problem is I don't know where those places are because I can't find a map. =[

I found matches once when I found the map.

There are a couple of ways to tell what town you are in. Each town has sign posts on each side of town with the name of the town on them or if you have to, you can log out and back in and the game will tell you where you are. Using one of the out of game maps will help you a lot once you know where you are.

There are a couple of ways to tell what town you are in. Each town has sign posts on each side of town with the name of the town on them or if you have to, you can log out and back in and the game will tell you where you are. Using one of the out of game maps will help you a lot once you know where you are.

I've found that sneaking into town is a lot easier than leaving it undetected by the zombies. I currently just left a town and when I re-logged in to where I was before I left it just said Chernarus and Factory. After the factory I climbed some ladders and ran around on some metal bridges and a roof and climbed another ladder to be on some factory thing that was even higher. It was a really industrial looking area. I'm not sure which direction I ran and it was dark...but I'm currently near a barn that I scavenge through and scavenged through some big looking hangar near it. Does anyone know what I'm near? I was chased out by zombies so I didn't have time to look for a sign. I've tried to look at the maps and figure out where I am...I'm guessing Cherno, but I'm not sure?

Also, when I watch youtube videos people are running around in daylight through cities and on roads like it's nothing and get 1 or 2 zombies chasing them. I go prone, avoid zombies, in the day time and I still attract them from far away even in grass. Not only that, I'd try to lose them around a corner or up a steep hill and they still chase me pretty far before they quit. People take one bullet to kill something and I've emptied more than a clip into one zombie to kill them. Every building I find that has an entrance also has at least 3 zombies around it or in it. It seemed so much easier to play on youtube. I'm always spawning and being immediately chased by a zombie or two too. So by the time I lose them in the mountains from steep hills I'm already lost. If I try to lose them by running to buildings to go through or around sharp corners, I just end up attracting more that won't get off my tail.

It's matches that I can't find. Got a hunting knife... Got some firewood... Even chased down a chicken and whacked him with my hatchet, so I've got some raw meat... If only I could start a fire...

You can start a fire in an oil barrel without matches. Look for them in industrial areas of cities. I know there are some in the Berezino military camp.

Hi there,

give this map a look over http://dayzdb.com/map For maps, food and drink, your best bet is the high value residential (blue) and the supermarkets (the shopping carts). For a hunting knife, they're pretty easy to find in most industrial areas (yellow) but can spawn in residential as well.

As for your other issues, why don't you PM and we'll get in touch? My clan has a mentoring program that I think can really help you out.

• Like 1

I've found that sneaking into town is a lot easier than leaving it undetected by the zombies. I currently just left a town and when I re-logged in to where I was before I left it just said Chernarus and Factory. After the factory I climbed some ladders and ran around on some metal bridges and a roof and climbed another ladder to be on some factory thing that was even higher. It was a really industrial looking area. I'm not sure which direction I ran and it was dark...but I'm currently near a barn that I scavenge through and scavenged through some big looking hangar near it. Does anyone know what I'm near? I was chased out by zombies so I didn't have time to look for a sign. I've tried to look at the maps and figure out where I am...I'm guessing Cherno, but I'm not sure?

Also, when I watch youtube videos people are running around in daylight through cities and on roads like it's nothing and get 1 or 2 zombies chasing them. I go prone, avoid zombies, in the day time and I still attract them from far away even in grass. Not only that, I'd try to lose them around a corner or up a steep hill and they still chase me pretty far before they quit. People take one bullet to kill something and I've emptied more than a clip into one zombie to kill them. Every building I find that has an entrance also has at least 3 zombies around it or in it. It seemed so much easier to play on youtube. I'm always spawning and being immediately chased by a zombie or two too. So by the time I lose them in the mountains from steep hills I'm already lost. If I try to lose them by running to buildings to go through or around sharp corners, I just end up attracting more that won't get off my tail.

i know your solution for this happened many times when i started, when you first start off, you want to try to find shed in backyard, either the big open ones or the closed ones with an overhang beside it, you don't need to sneak everywhere unless your in a big city or high pop server, and until you get your bearings i would suggest only going on 5-7 player servers and getting the hang of things landmarks etc. zeds cant outrun you so just run into a building (never small log cabins or red brick houses if your being chased with no weps) and/ or turn corners until your out of their sight for 3-5 seconds and not just one corner, a lot of times people will help you if your being chased for leverage in persuading them to join you, and will likely resupply you if they can, hope this helps