Sign in to follow this  
protectadin

Is it worth buying ARMA, or wait for standalone?

title says all, is it worth buying ARMA 2 now or wait for the standalone? This game is amazing, and I'm so excited and hyped, and would like to support Dean Hall.

I see that ARMA2 is 15 Euro, or probably 17-20 dollars on Steam, so it's not excessively pricey. But even if the SA isn't released this year, there's not a whole lot left of it and it really should be right around the corner for release. I would wait, but I also understand your desire to try it. However, you have a chance of retaining that "fresh game" feel if you wait, and I really wouldn't give that away to try an alpha.

• Like 2

I can afford it. I really wanna buy this game but I just wanna know how close is the standalone release, anything after 2 weeks means I'm buying this game.

Oh we all want to know the release date, believe me. We don't get any hard dates, but he said at one point he HAD to deliver this year, but later that he would be pushing it beyond 2012 if it wasn't up to par. And really, it's not such a bad idea to push it if needed. They are changing quite a bit in the way it works internally, so if they mess that up the game would be unplayable for many, if not all. I bet we'll know by one week or so if the game will or will not be released this year and hopefully we'll get a deadline date aswell.

• Like 3

hi,

title says all, is it worth buying ARMA 2 now or wait for the standalone? This game is amazing, and I'm so excited and hyped, and would like to support Dean Hall.

It's definitely worth buying ArmA2. Not only for DayZ but also for ArmA2 itself. There's thousands of modifications, addons, islands and missions. You will be entertained for months if not years if you are hooked. You can basically customize the game the way you like it. Moreover, you can make your own missions and addons.

Have a look here: http://www.armaholic.com/ and here: http://www.armedassault.info/?setlang=en to know the latests news about addons.

official ArmA2 forums: http://forums.bistudio.com/

It will help you to wait for the standalone.

cya.

Nikiller.

ok question,if i go ahead and get the combined ops and then the standalone comes out, would i still be able to log in the combine ops dayz version to play the standalone version? (did i word that right i think)

hi,

No Brad you will have to buy the standalone version to play the standalone. Note that the mod will continue to be developed by the community after the standalone releases. It means that if you buy ArmA2 you will be able to play it after the SA comes out. The mods will basically be a laboratory to test the new features implemented in the SA later (when the engine allows it).

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller
  • Like 1

I see that ARMA2 is 15 Euro, or probably 17-20 dollars on Steam, so it's not excessively pricey. But even if the SA isn't released this year, there's not a whole lot left of it and it really should be right around the corner for release. I would wait, but I also understand your desire to try it. However, you have a chance of retaining that "fresh game" feel if you wait, and I really wouldn't give that away to try an alpha.

Arma 2 OA is 15 Euro. Arma 2 9 Euro.

• Like 1

ok question,if i go ahead and get the combined ops and then the standalone comes out, would i still be able to log in the combine ops dayz version to play the standalone version? (did i word that right i think)

The Arma 2 DayZ Mod is a completely separate entity, although it has been said that it would continue to receive updates but as far as being compatible with the SA... I would have to say no, it would have to be purchased separately and not be able to be played with others playing the Mod. I think I answered that correctly ;)

The DayZ SA is a seperated game.

Arma 2 combined ops give you no access to DayZ SA.

The mod will continue to be developed by the community.

• Like 1

then the main question is it may take who knows how long before the DZSA comes out and do i want to go ahead and get it now and get some feel of the game now to get ready for it or just wait till it comes out. that is the question to ponder.

Buy it now, sale on steam.

As I tell othgers who pos tthe same question, there is so much more to Arma 2 than DayZ, check out Wasteland mod and some of the many others, even ArmA 2 is greta to play when you want a intense simulation of military life (bar the copious ammounts of alcohol)

then the main question is it may take who knows how long before the DZSA comes out and do i want to go ahead and get it now and get some feel of the game now to get ready for it or just wait till it comes out. that is the question to ponder.

yep. wonder what's the main subject/question of this thread.

thanx to ppl who replied and were helpful