Sign in to follow this  
jatchley80

Completely new to the game

I just found out about this game today, and it looks incredible! Can't wait to start playing it. If I can force myself to wait... should I wait for the stand-alone?

Welcome!

Waiting would depend mostly on your financial situation. No date has been announced for the stand alone yet but could come at any time.

Hope to see you out there.

If you are only buying ArmA for the DayZ Mod, I would wait. The standalone could be out in a matter of weeks at which point the majority of players will likely stop playing the mod and move to the standalone. That being said ArmA is an amazing game itself with many many mods besides DayZ. I'll let the videos below explain why it's so great, they do a far better job then I could.

Edited by smasht_AU

Now what original game would I need to buy to add this mod to?

On a side note.... I have been designing homes/buildings for almost thirteen years now, and the software I use can export 3d models in many different formats. With that said, who could I talk to about helping with modeling, if even needed. I have always wanted to help with something like this as a hobby.

If you are only buying ArmA for the DayZ Mod, I would wait. The standalone could be out in a matter of weeks at which point the majority of players will likely stop playing the mod and move to the standalone. That being said ArmA is an amazing game by itself.

Thanks

Now what original game would I need to buy to add this mod to?

You need ArmA II (You can get a free version albeit with lower resolution graphics) and ArmA II:Operation Arrowhead

ArmA II + Operation Arrowhead together are called "Combined Operations"

im also in the same situation thinking what to do lol

I am also in the same boat, though I am thinking I may wait for the SA version. but I have been sitting on sideline for about 30 days now and I want to play...

I was already able to help someone who had the same question so it might be interesting for you as well :)

If you're really just interested in DayZ, you should wait for the standalone which will be released soon as it will deliever a superior DayZ experience compared to the mod.

However, I think it would definitely be worth it if you're not struggling too much with the price (There is a discount at gog.com so Arma 2:CO costs only 17.99$ at the moment!)

Not only for the original game, Arma 2:CO, which alone has incredibly much content and replayability but for DayZ as well.

It surely won't be a waste to try the mod already and especially considering the mod will still be obtained by the community even after the standalone will be released it will offer you value for the money.

The community will most likely also be able to do some experiments the official dev team won't be able to implement, so having this opportunity will propably guarantee you more than just practice and fun in the meantime.

If you have any more questions concerning Arma or DayZ, feel free to just ask! :)

@JAtchley80, Arma is a sandbox military tactic shooter which on top of it has full support for mods and a very large and active modding community. If you are interested in assisting someone with your knowledge and eventually getting some of your assets or work in the game, I recommend you to take a look at the Bohemia Interactive Forums, specifically the "modelling" section ;)

Edited by PurePassion