radivmoe

Duct tape fixes everything

as simple crafting is confirmed in the SA, i would like to bring this message to the world: implement duct tape!

duct tape could be used (as an example) to attach flashlights to most weapons, or to attach military flashlights instead for reduced visibility.

yes i am aware of the fact that a lot of guns can attach special flashlights (G17 anyone?), but this would make a quick temporary fix.

because of feedback i have decited to make things clear, the flashlight example was as a fix for having a light out, but still be able to quickly fire a few shots if you should get into trouble.

Edited by radivmoe
  • Like 5

not only is this a rather vague suggestion, you spammed the topic 4 times, and the example you gave us is a poor one. try attaching something as bulky as a flashlight, optic sight or even the "special" military flashlight(which still will weigh half a kilo or more) and see ohw many rounds you can get off before the addhesive starts drying off/burning/lose grip, and you need to add more of that shit and re adjust it.

Here is a hint. with the finnish RK, i attempted to MacGyver a kineticly charged flashlight on it, 3 shots and it became too loose to be safe, then attempted the same thing, but attaching it to the barrel, i managed 7 shots, when we were given the order to get to our positions and drop some targets. and what do you know, the damn tape just teared off on the 8th shot, with the adhesive dry.

sorry, didn't seem to post after the browser crashed, and there is already a military flashlight in game, the only difference is that it emits red light for reduced visibility

also duct tape is powerful stuff (watch the mythbusters special, they lift a car with the stuff). It was a suggestion, and my only way of testing this is breaking into my fathers weapon thingy and "borrow" some double barreled shotguns or a hunting rifle. this would not be the way to go because:

1. my father would be as pissed as it is physically possible to be.

2. that only covers two types of the weapons available.

Edited by radivmoe

I like the idea. Just because he only gave one example, which was to attach a flashlight to a weapon, doesn't make the suggestion bad. You could use it as a way to mute people from Chatting on all channels for a small amount of time (until they get it off), set up traps, tape zombies to walls to scare people, I mean, it's a lot of stuff to do, you just need to use your fantasy.

Each inventory slot of duck tape could be a one use item and if you have a player your kidnapping he/she walks up to you selects duck tape player option and then player does a bandaging motion and the player is restrained and gaged for 2 hours In game time and if you sight out the timer continues because a rag doll of you appears in your place that can be killed bandaged and looted while your signed out and your player can be fed by the kidnappers while restrained also

Good info

Each inventory slot of duck tape could be a one use item and if you have a player your kidnapping he/she walks up to you selects duck tape player option and then player does a bandaging motion and the player is restrained and gaged for 2 hours In game time and if you sight out the timer continues because a rag doll of you appears in your place that can be killed bandaged and looted while your signed out and your player can be fed by the kidnappers while restrained also

i don't think a roll of duct tape should be a one use item, but maybe it could act as magazines (limited uses).

A duct-taped weapon having issues (Maybe a slight wobble/drag to one side while you're aiming and a high/medium chance of the flashlight falling off) would work well to balance out duct-taping a flashlight to a weapon actually.

Edited by Dekartz

also duct tape is powerful stuff (watch the mythbusters special, they lift a car with the stuff). It was a suggestion, and my only way of testing this is breaking into my fathers weapon thingy and "borrow" some double barreled shotguns or a hunting rifle. this would not be the way to go because:

1. my father would be as pissed as it is physically possible to be.

2. that only covers two types of the weapons available.

Yeah it is, When not subjected to A.) Shock pressure. B.) Heat C.) extreme cold. which is none of the things the mythbusters did, with the car lift, they did make a cannon out of it, but they still needed an inch of it to seal the back end, in a laminate style layering, and it still bulged unlike the ½inch steel plate that could have done the trick, not to mention, the cannon itself saw heavy wear and tear due to the material, and performed poorly.

So arent you just a bit over estimating this thing, yeah you can build a boat of it, now try making it as heat and cold resistant :P Hell when we were told on how to do field attachments to our gear, duct tape was allways out of the question, simply because of the temperatures, if we absolutely had to attach a flashlight to an RK, or a bayonet with the bayonet slot broken, allways the options were steel/copper wire or Fabric tape(not sure if the name is right, the finnish word is Erkka, the blakc/white fabric tape hockey players put on their hockey sticks) or preferably both, duct tape was tried, and it failed miserably, compared to the other 2 :P

Reminds me of:

(24 April 2000, Oregon) A misplaced faith in the miracle of duct tape led to the demise of a man boating on the Columbia River on Monday evening.

Duct tape has a reputation for fixing any problem. Steven and a friend were fishing in a 12-foot aluminum boat held together with multiple duct tape repairs, including the motor mount. Suddenly they encountered rough water and Steven stood up in the boat.

The vessel, rated to hold 200 pounds, capsized and tossed the two men and their 640 pounds of equipment into the water.

The US Coast Guard rescued the surviving companion on Tuesday morning, but Steven was not so lucky. He was found dead in an ill-fitting life jacket. Perhaps if he had duct taped it in place, he would still be sailing the river in his rickety dinghy, instead of holding a Darwin Award.

source: http://darwinawards....win2000-25.html

good points, but you told of copper wire and stuff that would serve the same purpose, maybe this topic could be expanded to be a duct-tape-and-all-stuff-that-would-serve-the-same-purpose discussion.

again, I don't have many ways of testing this so all feedback is good

not only is this a rather vague suggestion, you spammed the topic 4 times, and the example you gave us is a poor one. try attaching something as bulky as a flashlight, optic sight or even the "special" military flashlight(which still will weigh half a kilo or more) and see ohw many rounds you can get off before the addhesive starts drying off/burning/lose grip, and you need to add more of that shit and re adjust it.

Here is a hint. with the finnish RK, i attempted to MacGyver a kineticly charged flashlight on it, 3 shots and it became too loose to be safe, then attempted the same thing, but attaching it to the barrel, i managed 7 shots, when we were given the order to get to our positions and drop some targets. and what do you know, the damn tape just teared off on the 8th shot, with the adhesive dry.

Oh cool. because this game is set in real life where real things happen like zombies. stfu plz3.

... Could use duct tape to quiet your ruck so you make less noise when moving... put it all over crap that jingle-jangles. Not saying make your character a ninja or anything - but it would be kool I guess to see this type of pointless detail into the game. Duct tape used on the end of some magazines improves pull time from the pouch - and could perhaps lead to faster reload times...

Sure I could come up with more ways, but I don't really feel like contributing much right now. :D

Oh cool. because this game is set in real life where real things happen like zombies. stfu plz3.

The game is based on a simulator and is striving for realism, why dont you stfu and read what game the forums are made for first.

• Like 2

The game is based on a simulator and is striving for realism, why dont you stfu and read what game the forums are made for first.

i did. they say to add to the conversation not hinder it. this is a sim for a fictional scenario. so is doom and farcry and pretty much every other game. the sims is a sim for real life and i can drown my baby and kill the neighbors. so please explain to me why i cant put a flashlight on my gun in a game.

and have you ever heard of gorilla tape? that shit can hold an entire engine together.

Edited by radrussian1

Hello there

Less STFU's, please. We all know what it stands for and will count as abuse/personal attack.

Play nice.

Rgds

LoK

Being a hobby shooter, I can tell you for sure that duct tape will hold a flashlight onto a lot of guns if you find the right place and use enough tape. The handguards of an M16, the stock of a bolt-action rifle, the handguard of an MP5.

People don't do it because flashlight mounts are generally not that expensive and it looks stupid. If you have to do it, it'll hold up. Just use enough tape. More than one person has taped a flashlight to a double-barrel due to how difficult it is to find mounts.

One thing that doesn't make a whole lot of sense is not being able to use a handgun and a flashlight at the same time when a handgun is designed to be used with one hand in a pinch. There's also a ton of techniques for using a handgun and a flashlight at the same time.

rogers1.jpg

Duct tape fixes everything

Broken leg?

Duct Tape

Bleeding?

Duct Tape

Hackers?

Duct Tape

Win

Edited by Spart248
  • Like 1

wow, i really was not expecting this amount of feedback about something as simple as duct tape/equivilant.

YAY!!

You guys should take a chill pill...

And some of you are overconfident in the power of duct tape...

Lifting a car? Sure! But how long did that last? You can lift a car with anything if you have enough of it...

Making a whole boat out of it? Yes it works but once again, it doesn't last! You might be able to escape Alcatraz with such a boat but it all boils down to circumstances.

Building a cannon? Yes, it will launch a single cannonball and then become useless as it warps and weakens upon the first use. And it's anything but safe!

If you have 30 grams (462 grains) of flash powder, 2 yards of duct tape and some nails you could make an improvised grenade with it that would admittedly have limited effect compared to a real grenade but still be lethal.

If you have 4 grams of gunpowder and 1 feet of duct tape you can make a firecracker, it won't bang as high as using laminated paper like a real firecracker and is very likely to just fizz instead but you could.

You can make rope out of duct tape, but it's not a substitute for the real thing.

This suggestion is quite misguided as duct tape has many more proper applications...

Need to fix a rucksack quickly? Duct tape will do that and last you long enough to finish a trip.

You need to fixate something so it doesn't rattle? Duct tape!

You want to attach something temporarily to the outside of your uniform/rucksack etc? Duct tape!

Don't have a gun sling? Duct tape!

Is the window of your car leaking in a downpour? Duct tape!

Need an improvised cover for your barrel as you move through mud, grit, sand or likewise as you don't want it to go into the barrel? Make it out of duct tape! (Condoms work too, as do many other alternatives and should you forget or not have time to remove it you can shoot right through it.)

Need to bring water with you but don't have a bottle? Make a temporary bag out of duct tape!

Want to restrain someone to a tree? Duct tape is a pretty common choice.

Want some cover from the elements? Duct tape can be used in part or in whole to make it! (Read, make a tent)

Got a broken leg but don't have cloth or string available? Fixate it with stakes and duct tape! (Not saying you will be able to walk on it but it would fixate the bones allowing you to move along. An unrelated suggestion)

So in conclusion, next time you make a suggestion. Use some more practical examples.

Fixating a flash light to a gun is not the most practical use, it will eventually shake loose or burn off the adhesive. For that you want a more permanent solution.

• Like 4

If you duct tape a flashlight to a pistol, dont you either jam the slide or have very little area to put the tape on?

• Like 1

If you duct tape a flashlight to a pistol, dont you either jam the slide or have very little area to put the tape on?

yes...

NOT EVERY WEAPON IN DAYZ IS A PISTOL, STOP RUINING MY EXAMPLE! (jk)

I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR FEEDBACK! THIS TOPIC MAKES MORE SENSE THE MORE YOU GUYS DESTROY MY ARGUMENTS AND EXAMPLES!

THANKY THANKY THANKS!

You guys should take a chill pill...

And some of you are overconfident in the power of duct tape...

Lifting a car? Sure! But how long did that last? You can lift a car with anything if you have enough of it...

Making a whole boat out of it? Yes it works but once again, it doesn't last! You might be able to escape Alcatraz with such a boat but it all boils down to circumstances.

Building a cannon? Yes, it will launch a single cannonball and then become useless as it warps and weakens upon the first use. And it's anything but safe!

If you have 30 grams (462 grains) of flash powder, 2 yards of duct tape and some nails you could make an improvised grenade with it that would admittedly have limited effect compared to a real grenade but still be lethal.

If you have 4 grams of gunpowder and 1 feet of duct tape you can make a firecracker, it won't bang as high as using laminated paper like a real firecracker and is very likely to just fizz instead but you could.

You can make rope out of duct tape, but it's not a substitute for the real thing.

This suggestion is quite misguided as duct tape has many more proper applications...

Need to fix a rucksack quickly? Duct tape will do that and last you long enough to finish a trip.

You need to fixate something so it doesn't rattle? Duct tape!

You want to attach something temporarily to the outside of your uniform/rucksack etc? Duct tape!

Don't have a gun sling? Duct tape!

Is the window of your car leaking in a downpour? Duct tape!

Need an improvised cover for your barrel as you move through mud, grit, sand or likewise as you don't want it to go into the barrel? Make it out of duct tape! (Condoms work too, as do many other alternatives and should you forget or not have time to remove it you can shoot right through it.)

Need to bring water with you but don't have a bottle? Make a temporary bag out of duct tape!

Want to restrain someone to a tree? Duct tape is a pretty common choice.

Want some cover from the elements? Duct tape can be used in part or in whole to make it! (Read, make a tent)

Got a broken leg but don't have cloth or string available? Fixate it with stakes and duct tape! (Not saying you will be able to walk on it but it would fixate the bones allowing you to move along. An unrelated suggestion)

So in conclusion, next time you make a suggestion. Use some more practical examples.

Fixating a flash light to a gun is not the most practical use, it will eventually shake loose or burn off the adhesive. For that you want a more permanent solution.

you are right, but it turned out that i had very little available time left when writing the topic, so i had to make something quick. thank you for your additions.

i meant that the duct tape would be used for temporary fixes, durability and stuff.

Edited by radivmoe

feel free to bump my topic, i will not get in trouble if i don't bump it myself :P.