benjamina

Amazing game takes dive. Player worries.

Actually' date=' i created a thread with a poll, and while most night servers have less people, overall, the day/night players weren't that unbalanced. Most players preferred a full-moon, but only 21.5% out of 377 voters claimed they only play at night; less than the nearly 25% that said they PREFER the night.

[/quote']

Interesting.... but from what I have seen as a general observation, night servers are almost always VERY low pop. Maybe the % you had in your poll were distorted due to more hardcore players participate in the forums?

Its possible, but another explanation could be that people who play at night tend to be the kind of people who just avoid others at all costs; which would mean they would spread out more, rather than join a half full server.

Also, the largest group was still the people who prefer daytime in general, with players who only play at night almost non-existant. About 1 in 5 claimed no preference at all.

If you want the raw data:

http://www.pollsb.com/polls/p2203166-time_day_prefer_play_dayz#results

Only 377 people voted in that poll. That makes it statistically insignificant in the extreme, might as well have made the numbers up.

But yeah, the night is dark and server population is low during the night. It will be adjusted in due time.

Statistical significance starts at 30. All options have been picked at least 30 times save "only night". But due to the number of overall votes, it is easily enough to say that "only night" is a very small group, and the rest of the numbers are likely correct with respect to each other. Please do not act like an expert on statistics if you barely know the basics.

The only real flaw here is what the poster above noted, that this is not a random survey, it is a survey of forum-users.

Statistical significance starts at 30. All options have been picked at least 30 times save "only night". But due to the number of overall votes' date=' it is easily enough to say that "only night" is a very small group, and the rest of the numbers are likely correct with respect to each other. Please do not act like an expert on statistics if you barely know the basics.

The only real flaw here is what the poster above noted, that this is not a random survey, it is a survey of forum-users.

[/quote']

Oh.

My.

God.

Ok, start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Ignore this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organized_religion

Then try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

'Don't know The basics' This guy! Seriously!

actually i found night to be most fun time so far and i dont even have NVGs nor do i play alone

take a chemlight and carry it' date=' it has a maximum visibility toward other players of like 5-10 meters and you can still see enough.

i mean its a zombie apocalypse for crying out loud, there is already enough of a peaceful unfrightening atmosphere the whole day because of the bright days and the beautiful landscapes.

srsly, deal with it and learn2chemlight.

[/quote']

I agree. I played on an expert Server last night (all night) on a new fresh play and had probably my most enjoyable yet frustrating gaming experience with DayZ so far.

This was before the patch so I had a pistol, but no flash light. I spent 1 hour in complete darkness. So dark that you can't even tell your moving because you don't even see any tree lines, coast line, or horizon. I Still managed to get around. I'm not turning up my gamma nor am I even looking at a map.

I Found (or stole) my first boat and took that for a ride. I then almost froze to death on the water, but luckily made it back to a gas station I was at before in time to get my body temp back up right when a storm of rain pounded down. I then took shelter for about an hour counting zeds as they marched by. I take one infected out that wandered too close.

I then found my first vehicle in game, but without wheels which I finally decided to use the lights to tempt possible fresh meat to come my way due to the fact I was out of water and had no flares. I found a grenade that I knew might come in handy if I had to resort to killing another player to make it through the night.

No luck with water or finding more flares so I moved back to the boat and took it back down the coast a bit and logged off in hopes that I might find water during the day on my next play.

Maybe because my expectations were to basically just stay alive and not to find some l33t loot I can say the experience was a success but to others it might be a waste of time. I will say not many games really get my heart racing like this one does, especially at night.

My only concern is the amount of players that seem to be getting NVG too easily. I wish they would get rid of all high end gear because right now it seems to easy for players to move around servers to *tech up*.

IMO Taking the pistol away is harsh, but with the flash light AND now the ability to actually hide from a chasing zed might not be so bad.

As far as testing goes. Taking away the pistol is a great way to hear feedback on how the new hiding from an aggravated zed. I hope it works cause I know I'll be back to Day Zero again soon :)

Statistical significance starts at 30. All options have been picked at least 30 times save "only night". But due to the number of overall votes' date=' it is easily enough to say that "only night" is a very small group, and the rest of the numbers are likely correct with respect to each other. Please do not act like an expert on statistics if you barely know the basics.

[/quote']

Oh.

My.

God.

Ok, start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Ignore this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organized_religion

Then try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

'Don't know The basics' This guy! Seriously!

When a group is larger than 30, it can be assumed that it approximates normal distribution. That's a general rule of thumb for statistics, and the most basic of the basic.

I don't see how listing three somewhat related wikipedia pages and making zero references to anything in specific shows any personal understanding of the topic.

You have said nothing of why this number is insignificant, it seems simply that you do not agree, so you want to discard it. Other than the group I myself flagged, the smallest group is 75 members. If you're so fluent in these matters, please educate me why standard conventions don't apply here.

I'm not even claiming to have a precise measure of how things are, just the trend. The general ratios are good enough for what I'm trying to claim. I'm not expecting a group that is 20% to go up to 50% nor down to 5% no matter how many people you ask.

When a group is larger than 30' date=' it can be assumed that it approximates normal distribution. That's a general rule of thumb for statistics, and the most basic of the basic.

I don't see how listing three somewhat related wikipedia pages and making zero references to anything in specific shows any personal understanding of the topic.

You have said nothing of why this number is insignificant, it seems simply that you do not agree, so you want to discard it. Other than the group I myself flagged, the smallest group is 75 members. If you're so fluent in these matters, please educate me why standard conventions don't apply here.

I'm not even claiming to have a precise measure of how things are, just the trend. The general ratios are good enough for what I'm trying to claim. I'm not expecting a group that is 20% to go up to 50% nor down to 5% no matter how many people you ask.

[/quote']

You can't just use '30' for significance in every case. If the population you are applying your statistics to is 5mil strong for example, you will need more people in your test group to make it valid.

This is why thousands upon thousands of tests are carried out before releasing new pharmaceuticals, it just won't do with less.

I know you said Significance, not Validity, but I assume you talk about the latter since the former isn't proof of anything.

Seems like the OP just wants everything handed to him.

He doesn't want to have to worry about zombies even though this is a ZOMBIE survival mod.

He wants to spawn in the north near his friends after dying and get all the "cool lootz" and not have to work at it like everyone else.

He wants the lighting at nighttime to be more or less similar to that of the day.

Dayz has taken a step in the right direction. Keep going Rocket!

When a group is larger than 30' date=' it can be assumed that it approximates normal distribution. That's a general rule of thumb for statistics, and the most basic of the basic.

[/quote']

You can't just use '30' for significance in every case. If the population you are applying your statistics to is 5mil strong for example, you will need more people in your test group to make it valid.

This is why thousands upon thousands of tests are carried out before releasing new pharmaceuticals, it just won't do with less.

I know you said Significance, not Validity, but I assume you talk about the latter since the former isn't proof of anything.

The population of the earth is several billion, yet if you ask 60 people if they are a boy or a girl, you will likely get pretty close to 50-50. With a truly random selection of the full group, once you have 30 results in all possible outcomes, then it is most likely beyond the point where the results are just a coincidence.

Due to the fact that this is not a true random selection, but a survey of people who come on the forums, and who went ahead and did the poll, the results are likely skewed, but are most likely still relevant. Attempting a truly random survey is obnoxiously expensive in the real world, and not often done.

The reason important surveys are done so extensively is because they want to be within a percent, or a tenth of a percent. I have no such requirements.

Anyway, the very page you linked me to says "a result is called statistically significant if it is unlikely to have occurred by chance". Based on what I said above, to the best of my knowledge, these results are easily significant within a reasonable doubt. And because it is significant, reasonable claims made that are supported by the result can be called reasonably valid.

Finally, I think we have derailed this thread; all I was trying to point out is that a large percentage of the player base do like to play at night, they are just less vocal than the people who come on here to complain about how dark it is.

Finally' date=' I think we have derailed this thread; all I was trying to point out is that a large percentage of the player base do like to play at night, they are just less vocal than the people who come on here to complain about how dark it is.

[/quote']

We most certainly have.

Anyway, when I look at the EU servers, I find there is indeed very few players on the night time servers. Hence, my 'flailing-arms-wildly-while-shouting-obscenities' at the poll. Let's leave it at that. I wouldn't have kept arguing the point if I hadn't been so annoyed at the OP, sorry about that.

I have a thought, what about making REAL realistic night day time? I mean here in sweden, when I look out at 10 PM you can see really well but its still a little dark, when I join a server during this time, its completely black, they should make like a loop, so that its only totally BLACK 1 hour, and that should be when its most natural darkest outside.

This shouldnt be hard to do?

Hehe. I tried to tell him that' date=' but he got pissy. A lot of people seem to completely ignore the base game, even though it would perfectly suit their playstyle. A shame, ArmA II is a good game.

It's a shame, because I'm being trolled in a fairly serious thread, and these issues are effecting thousands of people who really put a lot of gamer-hope and play time into this mod :[.

No-one wants the danger to be removed, or the servers to be black and white day during night time. But what we DO want is a little detail in the textures, so we can see roughly where we're going (and I know, that's an arma patch thing, either way, get it fixed) and for the zombies to be just slightly less fucking brutal than they are..

Hey. Noone is trolling you, we are having a so called 'debate'.

If you can't stand having people disagree with you, you shouldn't make posts on a public forum. Have you thought about keeping a diary? I think that would suit your 'everyone-should-agree-with-me-because-I'm-great-and-I-want-it' attitude.

Have a pleasant day, regardless.

That's so condescending :[. Of course dayz is about other things. And I'm sure arma is a fantastic game too!. I've not tried it, but I've played similar games with much fun... Yes I enjoy military games, and co-ordinated teamplay and whatnot. But I'm also in it for the same things that you are!, fear and claustrophobia, zombies and scavenging and 4am adventures and whatnot. It just so happens that you gobble what you're spoon-fed, asking very little in the way of why and how.. I feel that being as the game's in alpha, and most of the feedback that seems to circulate this forum on a regular basis is self serving and not very productive, it's quite good that people are posting concerns, and giving rocket a different point of view (different to your, as I see it - droll opinion on the future of the mod).

It's quite ironic really, that you'd accuse me of not being able to handle disagreement, when you're part of a group of stubborn people who are so desperately offended and flatly unwilling to heed the concerns of a group of players of an opposing viewpoint.. Very smooth.

Hehe. I tried to tell him that' date=' but he got pissy. A lot of people seem to completely ignore the base game, even though it would perfectly suit their playstyle. A shame, ArmA II is a good game.

It's a shame, because I'm being trolled in a fairly serious thread, and these issues are effecting thousands of people who really put a lot of gamer-hope and play time into this mod :[.

No-one wants the danger to be removed, or the servers to be black and white day during night time. But what we DO want is a little detail in the textures, so we can see roughly where we're going (and I know, that's an arma patch thing, either way, get it fixed) and for the zombies to be just slightly less fucking brutal than they are..

Hey. Noone is trolling you, we are having a so called 'debate'.

If you can't stand having people disagree with you, you shouldn't make posts on a public forum. Have you thought about keeping a diary? I think that would suit your 'everyone-should-agree-with-me-because-I'm-great-and-I-want-it' attitude.

Have a pleasant day, regardless.

That's so condescending :[. Of course dayz is about other things. And I'm sure arma is a fantastic game too!. I've not tried it, but I've played similar games with much fun... Yes I enjoy military games, and co-ordinated teamplay and whatnot. But I'm also in it for the same things that you are!, fear and claustrophobia, zombies and scavenging and 4am adventures and whatnot. It just so happens that you gobble what you're spoon-fed, asking very little in the way of why and how.. I feel that being as the game's in alpha, and most of the feedback that seems to circulate this forum on a regular basis is self serving and not very productive, it's quite good that people are posting concerns, and giving rocket a different point of view (different to your, as I see it - droll opinion on the future of the mod).

It's quite ironic really, that you'd accuse me of not being able to handle disagreement, when you're part of a group of stubborn people who are so desperately offended and flatly unwilling to heed the concerns of a group of players of an opposing viewpoint.. Very smooth.

There are two kinds of people in the world, those that divide the world into two kinds of people and those that don't.

Right. I don't belong to a 'group of players', I do not 'gobble what I am spoon-fed' and about my droll opinion on the future of the mod... Would you kindly tell me what it is?

I honestly cannot recall saying anything other than "the night is very dark, it will get fixed" about the mods' future. So, please, you have my undivided attention.

I do agree that showing Rocket a different point of view is a positive thing, but I'm most certainly not going to complain about changes I DO like. And I like the 'no-gun' change.

That is not 'being 'stubborn'.

That is not being 'droll'.

That is not being 'desperately offended' or 'flatly unwilling to heed the concerns of a group of players of an opposing viewpoint'.

It is just my opinion, and there is no reason you should take offence to it.

I will not deny being 'smooth' though. It reminds me of that song.

So, it seems like different people think DayZ is one of two different types of games.

Some think it is a persistent, open-world, free-for-all first-person shooter, with a survival-horror setting.

Some think it is a persistent, open-world survival-horror game with free-for-all PvP.

These are very different. It seems to me that rocket wants to make the latter. I hope that is the case, because that is the game I would prefer. People who just want to group up and fight each other in a persistent world might have to find another game. Maybe they could even work it off of DayZ. Just call it "Day".

DayZ is one of those games where if night isn't pitch black, then 90% of people wont use any of the ingame lighting items because they can see fine without them, and it might as well be daytime 24/7.

It needs to be pitch black to give players that fear, the claustrophobia you desire. You are a careful player so you don't use lighting items incase you are spotted, I see that, but you can't demand that you should be able to see in the dark because of it. There are items, you make the choice not to use them, so you make a choice not to play.

I was playing the other night, running around using my flashlight in short 2 second bursts every few hundred meters just to see if I was heading the right way, I could have walked into a tonne of zombies - I didn't. What I did run into was another player using the same technique, except he has his light on for longer periods of time than me, I followed him.

I eventually lost him, because it is hard to follow somebody who knows how to use a flashlight. Chemlights are another good example, you can barely see them if you are too far away, they are just a coloured dot a few pixels across - safe to say that anyone that does see you in the distance will eventually lose you in some bush.

I agree that night is going to be tough to start out in. There are plenty of offset servers to join if you dislike night time, personally though, I enjoy how it becomes a superhard survival-horror - as it should be.

I play alone, I also play in a group, and we all find it a lot more entertaining when we are bumping into each other with chemlights and torches than running around in daylight or full moons. There is just no fear when you can see at night, none.

The change to hardcore is coming like a giant wave, try to fight against it and you'll just be swept under and drowned. Accept the changes and go with the flow, then you'll find everything much easier.

IMO, ultra-dark night is reached too quickly. I know why it's there and appreciate it, but maybe it can last for like 5-6 hours?

So let me see if i can follow your problem - you want to hang with your homies collecting all the good shit and when you die you want to quickly run back to your mates and get all your gear back. You are scared of the dark and you want blind zombies who are there just for decoration because you are only interested in PvP.

Is that correct?

Hear this - this is the Zombie Apocalypse not some camping trip with Gramps and Uncle Joe. Zombies are now a real threat, it is realistic you dont have a gun at spawn and newsflash - it would be pitch black in an environment with no power and no full moon. These are realistic changes made to this "game" and once the bugs are ironed out it will be awesome.

Now get to bed, its dark.

If you're arguing that the night time visibility isn't realistic' date=' then I disagree.

[/quote']

If you're saying that the night time is realistic then you either

1. Haven't been outside when it's dark out

2. Haven't been outside when there's no moon out

3. Or where you live you have no stars or moon.

Either way there's ALWAYS some sort of light be it stars or the moon at night and there's NEVER a pitch black night.

If you're arguing that the night time visibility isn't realistic' date=' then I disagree.

[/quote']

If you're saying that the night time is realistic then you either

1. Haven't been outside when it's dark out

2. Haven't been outside when there's no moon out

3. Or where you live you have no stars or moon.

Either way there's ALWAYS some sort of light be it stars or the moon at night and there's NEVER a pitch black night.

If there is a new moon and full cloud cover, there is no light. No light.

The problem with the recently introduced lighting is that the light there is does not reflect off of things. So even on a nice starry night, the ground is pitch black. This is the problem and I am sure it will get fixed eventually, but by Bohemia - not Rocket. The lighting was introduced in a beta patch, remember?

If there is a new moon and full cloud cover' date=' there is no light. No light.

The problem with the recently introduced lighting is that the light there is does not reflect off of things. So even on a nice starry night, the ground is pitch black. This is the problem and I am sure it will get fixed eventually, but by Bohemia - not Rocket. The lighting was introduced in a beta patch, remember?

[/quote']

That's not true.. There's always some kind of light polution and I've yet to see a pitch black night.

That's not true.. There's always some kind of light polution and I've yet to see a pitch black night.

Calling me a liar, are we?

I have seen a pitch black night. I was in a forest, not out in the open, but it was indeed so dark that I could not see my own hands. I have nrmal eyesight by the way.

If there is a new moon and full cloud cover' date=' there is no light. No light.

[/quote']

Light pollutions funnily enough comes from light sources, which will be dramatically reduces when there is no power. Think ahead.