Sign in to follow this  
BSB Jimmy

easy way to boost fps

if you are having troubles with fps in dayz and dont have a beefy pc here is 1 way to increase performance (a lot of you may have done this anyway)

if you are using windows 7 go to start and right click computer

click properties then go to advanced system settings

select performance then ajust for best performance

im not sure whether people have done this but just wanted to help people out, i know it boosted my fps significantly.

• Like 2

theres not alot you can do even with a beast rig you won't get more then 60 constant and thats on beast machines..more CPU intensive then GPU

Edited by dirtyzerg

For some lower end computers, this can make a large difference. For higher end ones (which already run the game at 50+fps) you may not see a significant change.

I've found that I get 1fps increase on doing this on my laptop. I know eh! Whoah! It did make alt-tabbing faster though. Luckily I don't need to worry about it on my desktop.

I dont know how to check my FPS without the debug monitor, but I have a noticeable increase from doing this. Im no fps(first person shooter) pro, so I cant give any kind of estimation on what I gained, but it helped quite a bit.

Im running one of those crappy prebuilt machines that has an integrated video card, so I have everything on low. I was still getting about 18-22 FPS the last time I had a debug monitor pop up for 10 minutes, but it was still pretty laggy. After doing this settings change everything seems a lot smoother, and I went around headshotting zombies with my pistol just cause I could. The aiming reticule moves around silky smooth and the zombies move like Ive never seen them move before. Also, when I zoom in on my cz50(something like that) scope I no longer have a ton of lag moving the scope around.

I will be getting a graphics card in a couple weeks, along with a new PSU that I will need with it. The card should let me turn settings up so the game isnt so ugly, and combined with this little tweak hopefully I will have a brand new DayZ experience! Thanks!!!

edit: I will definitely be turning this back to default when Im not playing DayZ. I used to love that windows 98 look but now I cant stand it after getting used to windows 7 lol

Edited by MattGL

I dont know how to check my FPS without the debug monitor, but I have a noticeable increase from doing this. Im no fps(first person shooter) pro, so I cant give any kind of estimation on what I gained, but it helped quite a bit.

Im running one of those crappy prebuilt machines that has an integrated video card, so I have everything on low. I was still getting about 18-22 FPS the last time I had a debug monitor pop up for 10 minutes, but it was still pretty laggy. After doing this settings change everything seems a lot smoother, and I went around headshotting zombies with my pistol just cause I could. The aiming reticule moves around silky smooth and the zombies move like Ive never seen them move before. Also, when I zoom in on my cz50(something like that) scope I no longer have a ton of lag moving the scope around.

I will be getting a graphics card in a couple weeks, along with a new PSU that I will need with it. The card should let me turn settings up so the game isnt so ugly, and combined with this little tweak hopefully I will have a brand new DayZ experience! Thanks!!!

edit: I will definitely be turning this back to default when Im not playing DayZ. I used to love that windows 98 look but now I cant stand it after getting used to windows 7 lol

select the bottom option on custom settings to keep the windows 7 look

But the visual quality of the game will drecrease, right?

It doesnt do anything to the game, it just make your system have more available RAM for the game, instead of using it all to make the desktop look better.

Awesome, thanks!

My work computer is set this way by default, but I never thought to apply it to my personal computer.

It doesnt do anything to the game, it just make your system have more available RAM for the game, instead of using it all to make the desktop look better.

Yes thx, i remember now what these options are .

Yes of course. Spending a $1000 is completely comparable to changing a few settings for free.

I never thought about doing this, because I never figured it would have a noticeable effect. The fps isn't much better, but it just feels smoother, there's less lag, and I can alt+tab out faster.

Or buy a better PC

My PC is a beast and i still take every step and make every tweak to make my game experience run smoother. Its a good habit to get into. There's a guy called black viper who does guides on tweaking windows so it sucks less of your system resources. Every little helps. You know, like tesco.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/

• Like 1

I've got another one for you.

If you are running Windows 7, install Windows XP.

My framerate has gone up about 75% since I got Arma2 working on XP.

I've got another one for you.

If you are running Windows 7, install Windows XP.

My framerate has gone up about 75% since I got Arma2 working on XP.

Would running the game in XP compatibility mode be the same?