fheilig

Basic help for new player

I'm new to Arma but a lot of the commands seem familiar from other games. I've read the Dayz wiki and some other sites. But still have some questions...hopefully not too stupid in nature.

1) Can you do anything with the hatchet? I've equipped it but can't use it as a weapon at all. Even thought I get the little circle on the screen like it is aimed at something. Same goes with the flashlight. Am I missing something...how is it turned on? I've looked through all the commands and none seem to do it.

2) Buildings...I'v explored around and a decent size town only had a couple outhouses and sheds that I could actually get into. Where are you supposed to find all this needed gear?

The theory behind the game sounds cool but so far I'm just running through the woods and up crawling to doors that never open.

HELP!

I'm new to Arma but a lot of the commands seem familiar from other games. I've read the Dayz wiki and some other sites. But still have some questions...hopefully not too stupid in nature.

1) Can you do anything with the hatchet? I've equipped it but can't use it as a weapon at all. Even thought I get the little circle on the screen like it is aimed at something. Same goes with the flashlight. Am I missing something...how is it turned on? I've looked through all the commands and none seem to do it.

2) Buildings...I'v explored around and a decent size town only had a couple outhouses and sheds that I could actually get into. Where are you supposed to find all this needed gear?

The theory behind the game sounds cool but so far I'm just running through the woods and up crawling to doors that never open.

HELP!

1. you need to reload the hatchet (it is a remoddeled gun).

2. Only a few buildings are entrable. most of them are in the bigger cities and some half-sized ones. This is because arma 2 wasn't made for indoor environments.

Both of those things are adressed in the standalone.

HELP!

Sounds like my first day playing the mod.

Check this map to see where you spawned and which building can be looted:

http://dayzdb.com/map

Hatchet is a gun with a super short range, just gotta reload it. It's silly, but it is what it is.

As for buildings, only certain buildings do actually spawn loot, but these buildings look more or less the same, so you'll just pick it up as you go. If you look at this map http://dayzdb.com/map all the circles and squares are lootable buildings, color coordinated to the type of loot they have in it, and when you click on them, you'll get a picture of it and a list of what it spawns, and at what rate.

Another thing I found helpful is this video

It's focused on weapons, but you can see what the buildings and the guns look like. The names are a bit off, but it's a helpful video none the less. The only buildings it doesn't cover are industrial spawns and the hospital, but you can find those on the dayzdb map.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon

Plus the flashlight takes up your sidearm slot when you equip it. Once its in sidearm slot press "L" to switch it on.zombies can't see the light but players can.

Thanks all. The map really helps. Although the server I was on might have been crap. The only thing that seemed to spawn in the fire station and industrial area was axes.

Still can't get the light to work. I get the chevron on the center of the screen and when I switch to 3rd person view it shows me with a flashlight in my hands. But L does nothing. Guess I'll stick to daylight for now. Gonna try to find a deer stand.

Thanks all. The map really helps. Although the server I was on might have been crap. The only thing that seemed to spawn in the fire station and industrial area was axes.

Still can't get the light to work. I get the chevron on the center of the screen and when I switch to 3rd person view it shows me with a flashlight in my hands. But L does nothing. Guess I'll stick to daylight for now. Gonna try to find a deer stand.

Hang in there man. Play on a server with no other players until you have a feel for the game and what buildings are lootable and what not. Then join a server with about 5-8 people on it to make it more interesting.

tbh as a new player all you need from industrial spawns is an axe, maybe a hunting knife, but mainly the axe.

Strange that the firestation had axes in it, since they don't natural spawn there. As for the light, check that it is infact binded to 'L'. try putting it back on your toolbelt and requipping it, or switching weapons. It's pretty fickle about it sometimes.

Hatchets are basically guns although they're short ranged, from experience I'd say the rage is only 10-20meters. Yet still better than a handgun.

Edited by EvilRooster