Sign in to follow this  
GodOfGrain

SOLUTION! Dynamic system of "bandit" recognition

*EDIT*

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES!

This post below was written in a bit of a hurry.

As this idea might have potential I rewrote this concept and published it in the following thread:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/111827-dynamic-system-of-bandit-recognition-2-rewritten-and-refined/

//////////////////////////////

PART I: The Witness

Player A damages player B, player B survives.

If player B was within 50 meters [?] to the attacker he'll recognize this player in future encounters.

This specific player B will be able to identify this specific player A.

As player B has seen his attacker himself, he will get a clear indication next time.

[indicator like the hearbeat system, but more efficient in its use.]

--> For player B player A has like "70 out of 100 recognition points", resulting in a strong negative indication when looking at this player within a certain distance.

"Recogition points" reduce over time. [E.g. divided by the time played by Player A since the incident ]

Number of recognition points increases accordingly to the distance between the player after

the shot has hit. [The closer you have been, the better, max range 70 m]

If player C is in the vicinity, he'll gain the same information.

If there are no witnesses to a crime, or all are eliminated: No information flow.

PART II: Social Interaction

If some people are at the same location for a certain period of time they can share this information.

Maybe there would be a contextual option to ... "Invite for a drink and sit down"; "Share fire place" etc.

Informations gets passed to all participating players.

Number of recogintion points transferred is reduced by 0.9 (?) for every... i heard from a friend from a friend from a friend...)

[/idea: Introduce cameras... If you manage to get a close up picture you can spread the info on murders]

Part III: Effect

It is a dynamic system similar to deseases. You just don't spread illness but information.

If you play on a handful of servers your information about its population will be better.

But alltogether this information potentially spreads over the whole DayZ universe.

Instead of a crappy bandit skin you get another visual indicator based on your specific information on specific individuals.

To obtain this vital information, you have to meet other people peacefully to share information.

[That's an automated process, initiated by an "share campfire" button"]

This system is very variable to match the designers needs.

You can change how fast it spreads, at which rate these "recoginition points" degenerate...

Indicator: Perhaps 3 levels:

"Slightly bad feeling": Perhaps you heard from a friend of a friend about this guy [15-30 points]

"Something aint right": First hand description or several indirect ones

"This guy is a killor": You have seen him killing yourself or have notice about multiple incidents form other people

Indicator should not help you to spot him, but if you have him in your view it should be easy to tell.

I would even go so far to give this indication from quite some distance for game play reasons.

After a couple of months there could be a solid information base about players behavior.

Peaceful survivors would be able to share this information and trust each other.

[And trust each other to share information]

Notorious killers would be easily recognised as such and have no access to this information.

Edited by GodOfGrain
  • Like 2

Sounds like a good idea to me but I imagine the information that would be needed to be stored would be huge.

before suggesting things, ask yourself "will this feel pushed?" This is very pushed, as I can't even think of two separate occasions where my attacker failed to kill me and is back in the vicinity of the same character he failed to eliminate..

Edit; I decided I have nothing to say.

Turns out I either misread or misunderstood the idea.

But god damn it, who am I to shut up?

OP, can you specify this? (Quote my post when you do, so it's easier for me to notice.)

Player A damages player B, player B survives.

If player B was within 50 meters [?] to the attacker he'll recognize this player in future encounters.

This specific player B will be able to identify this specific player A.

When you say "Player B survives," do you mean that he simply gets away -without- killing player A?

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Sounds like an idea so people can play Sleuth, and Heroes can help the victim track down and kill the bandit, good idea but it might be awhile before the DayZ people consider it.(possibly after the official release of the game it would be a nice mod for those who like sleuthing)

otherwise, not now, but maybe later.

Edited by xXB1ackM0mbaXx

If there are no witnesses to a crime, or all are eliminated: No information flow.

Sorry, but how does this NOT take into consideration perma death?? I wouldn't listen to the haters too much, IMO you're concept is very interesting - you just didn't take the time (qute understandably) to spoon feed it to this community.

Knowledge sharing is a very interesting concept (Here are some simular threads: http://dayzmod.com/f...-communication/ , http://dayzmod.com/f...y-i-know-you/ ). A side benifit of retaining knowledge through a single life is that it becomes a kind of currency that is unique to the player - this in turn gives the player an intrinsic value that can not be plundered (in any conventional manner :) ). This is very cool.

Honestly I don't know where all this negativity is coming from, but im guessing because the TL;DR uses the words "reduce PvP" (which, apparantly, is sacralige :( ) everyone got a hardon and started spewing up hate. Really, all you want is people to think about their actions by having authentic concequences for them.

Edited by Hoik

Why wouldn't Player C just shoot Player A (AKA Shooter). And what is to stop this recognition points from occurring while traveling in a group, there would obviously be witnesses assuming that it is a bandit squad.

-What is the chance that the bandit wouldn't finish the job to leave the target limping away?

-Wouldn't this help snipers, since they can easy shoot survivors from a long range and according to your system they shouldn't gain recognition points; since nobody was close enough to observe them in the act of murder.

I'll support this idea, but it seems to have some flaws.

Edited by Roac

i think the op is a good idea. the proposed method of treating information like disease, spreading via players is an interesting suggestion. and the cues (like a heartbeat) are subtle enough to not interfere with the gameplay.

but when you think about it... it kind of already works like this. as in, if me and my buddy are running threw a town and he sees a guy in ghillie with an ak firing at him. whats he going to say to me? that there's a guy in ghillie with an AK over there. so information already spreads, only it does so really organically. everyone needs a microphone really, and they need to use it. i think that would be good enough. then you would actually ask another player if they've seen any unsavoury characters about, and they would of course be able to warn you or lie.

oh but a feature to add to your suggestion: you say that bandits would not be able to be privy to information because no one would trust them enough to tell them... well the capture and torturing of other players would have to be included to balance that out. which would be pretty sweet actually. (no horrific animations needed of course!) maybe a sort of "wheres your tent at on this map!" oh boy bandits would love that one.

to spoon feed it to this community.

Apple sauce pls!

Though seriously, there is no point to this system. All of these things are done via the player and should be up to the player and not some game mechanic. This is yet another case of... I want the game to give me tools and indicators to locate bad people.

There should be no indicators that a person is bad, unless you have visually seen this person commit an act or a fellow survivor has and told you about it. Which is pretty obvious can be done without any need for an added game mechanic and something people do anyway.

The beauty of this game is in its simplicity. PvP is a part of this game. Whether people do it for fun, for your gear, or whatever their reason it is their reason and choice; again the beauty of this game. There are no rules governing peoples choices and they are free to do what they want.

Apple sauce pls!

Though seriously, there is no point to this system. All of these things are done via the player and should be up to the player and not some game mechanic. This is yet another case of... I want the game to give me tools and indicators to locate bad people.

lol - Personally i dont see the issue with creating tools that help players identify eachother, as currently there is no intuitive way to identify people you have met before (from a safe vantage point). Being able to recognise a "character" that has previously tried to kill you or your friends seem very plausable - that is a face you would rememver. It is no less realistic than everyone looking the same and being able to act in total annonimity.

There should be no indicators that a person is bad, unless you have visually seen this person commit an act or a fellow survivor has and told you about it. Which is pretty obvious can be done without any need for an added game mechanic and something people do anyway.

The problem is everyone essentially looks the same - there is no way to discribe one player to another.

Problem will be solved with fully customizable clothing.

This may be true for the stand alone - not the mod.

Edited by Hoik

I meant that clothing options may be a tool that can help differentiate one player from another (if there are enough variations/combinations), which is what the stand alone will have - but the fact that clothing options could be a simple soloution is invalid when talking about the mod. (open wide, here comes the aeroplane brrraaawwww!)

Edited by Hoik

why do people want to stop the PvP so much, that is one of the most fun things about the game. trying to hide not just from zombies but other people as well. also so days i might just want to kill people. and some days help bambis.

This will stop PvP as much (or as little :) ) as the bandit skin does. In no way does this idea infringe on the option of PvP - all it does is give the possiblilty that you may be associated with your actions - you may be talked about around camp fires - players may form posses to hunt you down and kill you! Then the slate is wiped and you start again... I can only see an idea like this enhancing the gaming experience for everyone involved!

Edited by Hoik

This will stop PvP as much (or as little :) ) as the bandit skin does. In no way does this idea infringe on the option of PvP - all it does is give the possiblilty that you may be associated with your actions - you may be talked about around camp fires - players may form posses to hunt you down and kill you! Then the slate is wiped and you start again... I can only see an idea like this enhancing the gaming experience for everyone involved!

You know when you encounter someone in cherno, and you manage to escape and then talk to your buddies at your camp later that day about the incident? Yeah... same thing, except not relying on the game to supply you with data that the player might have otherwise missed out on. Doesn't do anything to enhance the experience, just yet again another indicator for those who suck.

i admit, all those outcomes i mention could happen organically on their own, if you were able to identify players as individuals - ATM you can talk about your experiences with your friends, but there is no possibility of doing somthing about it (if you encounter that person again). The basis of this idea adds intrest to the game that doesn't rely on you playing the "imagination" game in your cardboard box - as much fun as that may be :) .

Player identification is a must - if this can be done well visually then maybe a complex system like this is unneccessary. As far as I can tell the mod will never have complex individual visual indicators (I belive its because of technical limitations), so IMO there will have to be some other artifical means of associating player actions with their ingame avatars.

Edited by Hoik

considering the whole idea of death = you start a clean slate.

And the recognition system is pretty easy already(you litelarry see names from hundreds of meters sometimes)

and this implementation could possibly flag both players as "bandits"

and as a last nail to the coffin. It would need insane amounts of of server resources to track all individual players correlations to other players.

Topic is like digging a deephole, to escape the restraints by restraining and punishing yourself/everyone more.